1969 CB750 sandcast, formerly owned by Steve McQueen

texscottyd

• Supporting Member

So, if you have a few hundred thousand dollars extra lying around, this might interest you.   Given the insane numbers Bring A Trailer has been drawing for vintage bikes recently, I can only imagine what this will finally sell for.   

It IS a spectacular motorcycle… 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-honda-cb750-sandcast-2/

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Oh wow, a 750 4!  I've a deceased uncle who burnt out two of them riding around the US and Mexico (twice).  Great bikes!

And, yeah, with that provenance...that'll drive up the price for sure.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, knyte said:

Oh wow, a 750 4!

Yeah, yeah, yeah… I get it.  They only made like a gazillion of them.  😀  Hell, I’ve owned three myself over the decades.   

But the intersection of ultra-early production (the few thousand sandcast motors), a beautiful restoration, AND Steve McQueen?  I think this will be jaw-dropping when it sells. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

My apologies, that wasn't meant to be sarcastic - I really do like those bikes :)  Honda changed the game with the release of the 750 4.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

I had one of the early CB750's. Bought used in 70 or 71 and drove ALL over with it. Had an oil leak (weeping) and when I took it to the local Honda dealer they told me the engine case would need to be replaced as it was sand cast and it couldn't be repaired. Ending up selling it shortly afterwards and bought a '73 CB750. 😪

Hind sight is always 20/20. All I have left of the '69 is the owners manual. I have a pic somewhere of me on it for my sisters wedding. I'll try to hunt it down!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
47 minutes ago, Brian said:

the 750 Nighthawk

I've an '83 Nighthawk 550c that needs a bit of help - I think the cam chain guides need replacing - but when it runs, OMG it has torque for days in any gear.

Lot for a motorcycle but still super cheap compared to what cars go for.  What an incredible example - absolutely incredible.  May be over restored but nice to see ne where I can see what it would have looked like new.  Remember when they came out, a real game changer.  Still remember the Kawasaki 500 triple as the bike that was most amazing but the 750 changed everything.  Killed the British bikes.

• Thumbsup 3