Talk to me about screens (again)

Sorry for the same old same old post

I have just moved from a tracer 900 (17) to a 900GT

On the tracer I had a Puig touring screen which, although wasnt pretty did a good job at protection.

I picked up the GT with the standard screen and deflector. It was as good as previous bike.

The bike which has been lowered also has a Puig touring screen, so I fitted that.  It was bloody massive. Previous Puig I was peeking over the top. This one i am peering through it- which I hate.

So I need to look at a new screen.

Ones I am considering are the  ermax touring and sport,  puig racing and possibly trying to bodge something out of my 17 oem screen and the givi touring screen.

Im 5ft 8 if that helps

any Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

57 minutes ago, stringman said:

The bike which has been lowered also has a Puig touring screen, so I fitted that.  It was bloody massive. Previous Puig I was peeking over the top. This one i am peering through it- which I hate.

So I need to look at a new screen.

Ones I am considering are the  ermax touring and sport,  puig racing and possibly trying to bodge something out of my 17 oem screen and the givi touring screen.

Im 5ft 8 if that helps

I am also 5'-8". Check my solution:

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
28 minutes ago, stringman said:

thanks for that 

sounds like its good for buffeting (or lack of) but how about noise?

Also in England the weather isnt quite so warm lol

I agree with @Grumpy Goat the smaller screen will have smoother airflow.  Remember that screens are a tradeoff, as you introduce screen size and protection from the elements you also introduce turbulence and wind noise up to a point that you have a screen taller than your helmet. 👎

My brother owns a naked bike and we swap bikes often, his has smooth, clean air at any speed.  When we swap bikes we both comment on how much louder it gets with a screen on the bike.  The tradeoff is smooth, air but no rain protection.

One thing you can try that I have found effective on both of my bikes is add spacers between the screen and the mount, this allows a small bit of air behind the screen which can reduce negative pressure and buffeting.  Experiment with different size spacers, mine are 20mm on one bike and 15mm on the other, remember to buy longer mount screws to match the spacer size.  As with anything screen related, my findings and preferences work for me and may be completely unsuitable for you.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, stringman said:

thanks for that 

sounds like its good for buffeting (or lack of) but how about noise?

Also in England the weather isnt quite so warm lol

Noise drops off dramatically and is different. I do wear filtered earplugs and that improves the hearing of my music as the wind noise is filtered a bit. So since you don't get noise from buffeting then it is a smoother overall quieter experience.

I am in Houston so I crave for some cooler weather starting about now. Your post reminded me to do the windscreen swap which I immediately did just before making my post. The tracer is used to commute so there is a bit of traffic and stops involved so I need the relief.

• Thumbsup 1

I've got a 2018 900 GT, and i've found the MRA Vario screen to be about as good as it gets, but i am also not spending a tonne of cash trying screens.

I've tried no screen, a short screen, and the stock screen. I'm 5ft 11 for reference. My wants for a screen are just low noise. The MRA is acceptable. No screen and a short screen don't seem to do much, and also look strange. The stock screen and whomever designed and approved it can burn for eternity in hell.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

I agree with @Grumpy Goat the smaller screen will have smoother airflow.  Remember that screens are a tradeoff, as you introduce screen size and protection from the elements you also introduce turbulence and wind noise up to a point that you have a screen taller than your helmet. 👎

My brother owns a naked bike and we swap bikes often, his has smooth, clean air at any speed.  When we swap bikes we both comment on how much louder it gets with a screen on the bike.  The tradeoff is smooth, air but no rain protection.

One thing you can try that I have found effective on both of my bikes is add spacers between the screen and the mount, this allows a small bit of air behind the screen which can reduce negative pressure and buffeting.  Experiment with different size spacers, mine are 20mm on one bike and 15mm on the other, remember to buy longer mount screws to match the spacer size.  As with anything screen related, my findings and preferences work for me and may be completely unsuitable for you.

54 minutes ago, GeeAndTea said:

I've got a 2018 900 GT, and i've found the MRA Vario screen to be about as good as it gets, but i am also not spending a tonne of cash trying screens.

I've tried no screen, a short screen, and the stock screen. I'm 5ft 11 for reference. My wants for a screen are just low noise. The MRA is acceptable. No screen and a short screen don't seem to do much, and also look strange. The stock screen and whomever designed and approved it can burn for eternity in hell.

I put a 22" Madstad on my 2021 GT (I am 5'-11"). They are well known for reducing negative pressure and buffeting. It's a little funny looking because it has 2 separate low deflectors but it works brilliantly. It comes with it's own mount which can be adjusted for height and angle of attack. So far I have been running it in cool weather so I have it at it's highest position and about a mid position angle. I can still see easily over the top but have an envelope that has no wind at all except for a slight breeze coming around the sides to my chest. I have never had a quieter, smoother ride with great rain protection. It is warming up now and I will be changing the height and angle for some summer cooling. The 2015-2018 model is a 1 piece and I am sure there are riders out there who can give feedback on that one.

https://madstad.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-2021

https://madstad.com/collections/yamaha/products/yamaha-fj-09-2015-up

• Thumbsup 3

Thanks for the replies

The madstad just looks horrible to me ( sorry) I dont think I have tried enough options to try that yet ( and its bloody expensive)

The MRA looks ok and its not too high 54cm with spoiler raised) 

Whats frustrating is that the puig touring on the tracer was really good, quiet and not too tall, for the GT its jus too big.

I may do an experiment with one of my old tracer oem screens- drill it to fit then try various cut down options.

Onwards and upwards

• Thumbsup 1

I’m with GeeAndTee in that the MRA works well. Alison Silcox of MCN tested various manufacturers when she had a 2018 GT (same as mine) and the MRA Vario came out top. I’ve done 21,000 buffeting-free, relatively quiet miles with it. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, stringman said:

Thanks for the replies

The madstad just looks horrible to me ( sorry) I dont think I have tried enough options to try that yet ( and its bloody expensive)

Hehehe ... glad I didn't say it although I agree. 😄 I have only heard good testimonies about their effectiveness, mind, but heck it has got to look half decent too ... Functional and fugly does not cut it for me. To each his own, eh?

• Thumbsup 2

Well I have been playing around with the satnav mount, which meant taking the screen off.

I have just fitted the old tracer screen ( had to drill 2 new holes at the top)

I have to say it looks a lot better than the stock gt screen. Slightly shorter and jus covers the sat nav.

Not sure how it will work though. 

I was toying with doing the same wit the old Givi I have, but its almost identical to the GT stock screen so I will try to sell it instead.

I will read the review from MCN.

Thanks

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Hehehe ... glad I didn't say it although I agree. 😄 I have only heard good testimonies about their effectiveness, mind, but heck it has got to look half decent too ... Functional and fugly does not cut it for me. To each his own, eh?

No harm, no foul. It is not small and streamline but I don't think it is horrible looking either.  I am all about function and I don't care so much about looking cool for others. Guess I don't look at my bike as apparel. Yes, to each their own. 

• Thumbsup 2