Talk to me about screens (again)

Maybe the solution with a new bike bought at the dealer is to provide just the adjustable carriage and no windscreen at all. Then present the buyer with a range of screens which they select for purchase at the time of pickup. That way Yamaha saves the cost of the screen (corners cut) and the buyer then has the responsibility to pick the screen for their short or tall selves - no one size fits all situation. Then if the screen doesn't work the owner only has himself "to blame" and he can then start doing what owners have been doing for donkey's years -- buying and trying different screens -- but with one caveat, he is one step closer since he has a chance of getting it right at the outset.

If I were at Yamaha that would be my proposal to solve the windscreen problem.

I would also fire the fool that makes the seats.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I'd go a step further and figure out a size chart so when you get your bike, you get the "right" height screen. It won't always work, but it'll be so much closer to what a customer would want, especially with the added adjustability.

Someday maybe we'll even see the 3d printed screens on the spot! The future is bright! :D 

• Thumbsup 1

I found moving the spoiler made a difference to wind flow. It’s a refining process which I believe is worth sticking with for a while. I’m 6ft which is fairly standard height and I found the sweet spot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paddy01 said:

I found moving the spoiler made a difference to wind flow. It’s a refining process which I believe is worth sticking with for a while. I’m 6ft which is fairly standard height and I found the sweet spot. 

Im trying that as well.

Can i ask what works best for you as screen height and then spoiler height?

so fare I have tried screen lowest, spoiler highest. Screen highest and spoiler highest. I am gong to keep the screen hight and start dropping the spoiler 1 notch at a time

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, stringman said:

Screen highest and spoiler highest. I am gong to keep the screen hight and start dropping the spoiler 1 notch at a time

Your plan sounds good. Set the main screen so you can comfortably see over it, and then tweak the spoiler. I found that the air flow is best behaved with the spoiler at about the height of the main screen, and parallel to it. YMMV.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

8 hours ago, piotrek said:

Your plan sounds good. Set the main screen so you can comfortably see over it, and then tweak the spoiler. I found that the air flow is best behaved with the spoiler at about the height of the main screen, and parallel to it. YMMV.

THats what i am hoping, as by dropping it down 1 notch from highest seemed to make a bit of improvement. At the moment it has higher bar risers. i am going to rotate them to induce more crouch, and maybe even buy some standard size ones to drop it down a tad

I think the bar risers will make a difference as MRA made the screen to fit standard dimensions and the risers will be raising your whole upper body into the wind. I just checked mine. It’s at the lowest height with the spoiler slightly tilted. I get clean air with zero buffeting. Apart from the screen all else is standard. I’m 6ft. I hope this helps. 

1F3A5FA7-6FFF-4510-BB34-B381BB70F7BE.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

1 hour ago, Paddy01 said:

I get clean air with zero buffeting. Apart from the screen all else is standard. I’m 6ft. I hope this helps. 

Do you mean that the airflow goes over your helmet so you can ride with the visor open and without earplugs? If that is the case I would think about replacing my MRA without spoiler to the one with because I'm the same height as you.

I also get clean air without the spoiler but it's a compromise where my torso is protected by the screen but my helmet is sitting in the wind just like on a naked bike.

I hope you had a nice trip in Wales! I might go there soon, maybe Scotland first.

1 hour ago, Paddy01 said:

1F3A5FA7-6FFF-4510-BB34-B381BB70F7BE.jpeg

That appears to be a pretty steep windshield angle relative to the dashboard .... almost like the windshield is laid on top of the dash area (not saying it is, of course). Any chance of seeing a side view to set things right (in my mind)? 🙂

If the windshield does indeed have a steep rake angle then the fact that it works well for your height speaks very well of the windshield's design.

6 hours ago, petshark said:

Do you mean that the airflow goes over your helmet so you can ride with the visor open and without earplugs? If that is the case I would think about replacing my MRA without spoiler to the one with because I'm the same height as you.

I also get clean air without the spoiler but it's a compromise where my torso is protected by the screen but my helmet is sitting in the wind just like on a naked bike.

I hope you had a nice trip in Wales! I might go there soon, maybe Scotland first.

I can ride with visor open but clearly it increases blast on the face. I never, ever ride without earplugs. I’ve been riding for over 40 years and damaged my hearing through riding without them until it was too late (who knew in the 70s and 80s?). I now wear hearing aids (not while on the bike). I’m not deaf, just a bit deficient in the upper range. So maybe my judgment of noise is different from yours. Anyway, I digress. 

6 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

That appears to be a pretty steep windshield angle relative to the dashboard .... almost like the windshield is laid on top of the dash area (not saying it is, of course). Any chance of seeing a side view to set things right (in my mind)? 🙂

If the windshield does indeed have a steep rake angle then the fact that it works well for your height speaks very well of the windshield's design.

The windshield is a straight swap with the standard Yamaha barn door so the angle won’t be any different from any other 2018 GT. Here’s a photo, sorry it’s not great but I just got back from a long ride and I’m trying to get some feeling back into my bony old arse! The seat comfort is another subject of course 🙄AD05E358-AFAB-4CB8-95B0-7C12783C131F.thumb.jpeg.7b40ec6e86bdb640a0ef8033656c47f6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Paddy01 said:

The windshield is a straight swap with the standard Yamaha barn door so the angle won’t be any different from any other 2018 GT. Here’s a photo, sorry it’s not great but I just got back from a long ride and I’m trying to get some feeling back into my bony old arse! The seat comfort is another subject of course 🙄AD05E358-AFAB-4CB8-95B0-7C12783C131F.thumb.jpeg.7b40ec6e86bdb640a0ef8033656c47f6.jpeg

Thanks. While the angle at the carrier must be the same there appears to be more curvature (?) to the windshield which would explain the impression I got looking at the first photo. I think it curves over a bit more than the stock screen doesn’t it? This means that the windshield + deflector appears to be doing a great job for you, and if so may be even better for me since I am 5’-8” and likely with a shorter torso. 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:02 PM, petshark said:

I have seen some reviews on Youtube were the reviewer actually liked the screen on the 2018-2020 (2021 is already the 9 model). There probably is some kind of sweet spot where it actually works. Find that and you know how tall the engineer in charge is. 8)

I'm one that didn't think the stock was bad at all, just that the MRA is that much better and looks great too.