Reflash ecu to Oem settings

KD76

Dear Forum members , i have flashed the ECU on my 2019 tracer 900 in 2019 which also included an autotuning exhaust sensor which i also installed. After a few months from riding it , i have noticed that my fuel efficiency reduced from what was (before the ecu flash) around 28 or so KLM/liter to now at best 18 KLM/liter. Looking back i have noticed it wasn’t the best decisions not that i am in the process of planning a short trip cross-borders where between each gas station and the next is a bit of a stretch and am her asking what would be the issues or problems i will face if i decide to reflash my ecu to factory defaults (if possible) so as to get back my 28 KLM/liter.  

I would appreciate if you can share the various options to go about Reflashing to Oem such as at home, dealer etc.

Thank you 

KD

3976F620-F6AC-4B4C-A045-4DC6876825DD.jpeg

Edited by KD76
Corrected heading from OREM to OEM

• KD76 changed the title to Reflash ecu to Oem settings

Depending on who did your reflash, returning the ECU to stock configuration is pretty simple.  I know that Ivan's Performance will return your ECU to stock if you had him do the reflash.  But Ivan's reflash is very good and I can not imagine returning mine to stock.

I would reach out to the shop who performed the reflash on yours and see what they tell you.  Best of luck!!    

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, KD76 said:

Dear Forum members , i have flashed the ECU on my 2019 tracer 900 in 2019 which also included an autotuning exhaust sensor which i also installed. After a few months from riding it , i have noticed that my fuel efficiency reduced from what was (before the ecu flash) around 28 or so KLM/liter to now at best 18 KLM/liter.

Just so I understand correctly, your bike was flashed in 2019 and the fuel efficiency dropped immediately after the flash?  Or did the fuel efficiency change recently?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

23 minutes ago, betoney said:

Just so I understand correctly, your bike was flashed in 2019 and the fuel efficiency dropped immediately after the flash?  Or did the fuel efficiency change recently?

Hi betoney, i noticed a significant increase in fuel consumption after a month or so (only ride on weekends) otherwise if i was a daily rider it would have been earlier. But yes i am very sure it was from the ecu upgrade.

2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

Depending on who did your reflash, returning the ECU to stock configuration is pretty simple.  I know that Ivan's Performance will return your ECU to stock if you had him do the reflash.  But Ivan's reflash is very good and I can not imagine returning mine to stock.

I would reach out to the shop who performed the reflash on yours and see what they tell you.  Best of luck!!    

It was done by 2WDW in Seattle whom I’ve sent a similar inquiry too a few weeks back and received no reply yet….to my understanding, from 2WDW i think they sent it FTECU. 

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, KD76 said:

Hi betoney, i noticed a significant increase in fuel consumption after a month or so (only ride on weekends) otherwise if i was a daily rider it would have been earlier. But yes i am very sure it was from the ecu upgrade.

11 minutes ago, KD76 said:

It was done by 2WDW in Seattle whom I’ve sent a similar inquiry too a few weeks back and received no reply yet….to my understanding, from 2WDW i think they sent it FTECU. 

2WDW create their own fuel map, they just use FTECU software to flash the ECU.  They have flashed and/or dyno tuned a few of my bikes and friends, relatives bikes, I also use the active tune and didn't notice a significant drop in fuel economy like you experienced.  Give them a call, their staff are really helpful.

Contact Us

13209 NE 126th Pl STE 460
Kirkland, WA 98034

(425) 269-5332
Tuesday-Friday: 10:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Sunday-Monday: Closed

support@2wheeldynoworks.com
We reply within 24 hours

• Thumbsup 2

7 minutes ago, betoney said:

2WDW create their own fuel map, they just use FTECU software to flash the ECU.  They have flashed and/or dyno tuned a few of my bikes and friends, relatives bikes, I also use the active tune and didn't notice a significant drop in fuel economy like you experienced.  Give them a call, their staff are really helpful.

Contact Us

13209 NE 126th Pl STE 460
Kirkland, WA 98034

(425) 269-5332
Tuesday-Friday: 10:00am to 6:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Sunday-Monday: Closed

support@2wheeldynoworks.com
We reply within 24 hours

I’ve sent them an email already and waiting for a reply, as a last resort i will have to check what options i have with the dealer….

thank you i hope i can resolve the high fuel consumption 

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, KD76 said:

i have noticed that my fuel efficiency reduced from what was (before the ecu flash) around 28 or so KLM/liter to now at best 18 KLM/liter.

I'm not sure how to do the actual conversion when comparing to KM/L and miles/gallon in addition to American vs imperial gallons, so I don't know if your original 28 km/l is good or not.   If you are better at math than I am, I average 43-45 miles/gallon ( mixed riding, highway and spirited twisties) with the 2WDW flash and active tune O2 sensor.

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, betoney said:

I'm not sure how to do the actual conversion when comparing to KM/L and miles/gallon in addition to American vs imperial gallons, so I don't know if your original 28 km/l is good or not.   If you are better at math than I am, I average 43-45 miles/gallon ( mixed riding, highway and spirited twisties) with the 2WDW flash and active tune O2 sensor.

By my math, that 18 km/l translates to about 42 mpg... pretty much exactly what my 2015 FJ with 2WDW flash has averaged over about 20K miles.    Mine doesn't have the active tune O2 sensor; just the base 2WDW reflash.

But, 28 km/l is over 65 mpg.  Which is honestly a number I can't quite fathom from one of these CP3 motors...  that would net between 250 and 300 miles (400 - 480 km) out of a tank of gas.   @KD76 - Not trying to question your experiences, but how confident are you in those pre-flash numbers?   I didn't notice any significant change in fuel mileage on my FJ with the reflash, but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't.   It's just a massive change.... does the bike run well?  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

By my math, that 18 km/l translates to about 42 mpg... pretty much exactly what my 2015 FJ with 2WDW flash has averaged over about 20K miles.    Mine doesn't have the active tune O2 sensor; just the base 2WDW reflash.

But, 28 km/l is over 65 mpg.  Which is honestly a number I can't quite fathom from one of these CP3 motors...  that would net between 250 and 300 miles (400 - 480 km) out of a tank of gas.   @KD76 - Not trying to question your experiences, but how confident are you in those pre-flash numbers?   I didn't notice any significant change in fuel mileage on my FJ with the reflash, but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't.   It's just a massive change.... does the bike run well?  

My estimate before flash could be +/- I honestly don't know precisely but the flash did increase my gas consumption significantly…..i also do have the autotune O2 sensor installed. On factor could be the weather (maybe) or quality of fuel…considering i am based in Kuwait, Middle East. Something i am sure about is that i fill-up more frequently than before the flash and on one occasion I calculated around a decline by 9-8KLM/L when I first noticed the low fuel efficiency 

• Thumbsup 2

42 mpg (USA) or higher is what I get with my 2WDW flash.

There is a lot that goes into MPG.

How fast/hard you ride, tire pressure, brake drag, how big your windshield is, ethanol amount, etc.  

Sounds like you're fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I average about 18 km/l with my flashed 2015.  I've seen individual tankfuls between 17 and 19.5. 

I have averaged 42 mpg (18 km/l) on 8 of the 10 motorcycles I have ever owned, which ranged from 400 cc to 1200 cc.  I think that where I ride and the manner of my riding accounts for this consistency.

https://www.mpgtolitres.com/mpg-to-kml

• Thanks 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise