Stripped bolt, need advice on removal

betoney

• Supporting Member

I have a stripped bolt on the red body panel of my VFR, it has a blind fastener built into the panel behind it which is spinning in place and completely inaccessible from behind.  Do any mechanically minded forum members have any ideas how to remove a bolt that just spins in place without destroying the body panel?  The red shroud and black panel behind it that the retainer nut is mounted in are about $300 each. 😲

image.thumb.png.710f32f1a07040ed63115c371315d385.png

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

You could drill the head off of it leaving the rest behind. You would be able to remove the panel at that point.

I might give that a try.  Thank you! 🍻

12 minutes ago, betoney said:

I might give that a try.  Thank you! 🍻

Might be tough if it's spinning, helps if you can apply a little pressure to the panel at the same time as well to kinda hold it in place.

How about a blob of araldite on the end of an allen key (presuming it’s an allen head bolt), push it into the bolt so that when it sets you can pull outwards on the screw. That may put enough friction on the hidden fastener to stop it rotating. You can then buy a new bolt if it comes out.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Might try some lift to the screw head while turning it out. Might be able to keep the nut from turning at the same time. Has worked for me in the past. > have used dental floss or fishing line to loop around the fastener head, pull up while turning. 

Edited by TomTracer
Added onfo

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

You could drill the head off of it leaving the rest behind. You would be able to remove the panel at that point.

Drilling the head off was the answer, worked like a charm. Thank you for the help. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 2