Error Code indicates TPS problem and my settings is locked

So, here's my complaint.  I bought a 2021 9GT while considering a MT10.  Coming off a 2015 FJR that I loved. 

I rode the Tracer as a commuter bike until last month (cussing the ever present low speed stalling) when I got the ECU reflash, and a nice steaming cup of an unexpected CEL regarding the TPS to go with it. Now the bike is down waiting for parts with no end in sight. 

Such a downer, and I told myself to never buy a "first year" anything.

I've seen some rumbling on here about a TPS/throttle body problem that is similar to my issue.

I love this bike but man, this is a drag.

You should call the 1-800 Yamaha customer service number and get a fire lit under someone's behind. 

Tell them you bought the motorcycle for transportation, ask them in a nice but firm and respectful manner to provide you with alternate transportation while your motorcycle is waiting to be repaired.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 1:32 PM, Skidood said:

Would it be possible for this gentleman to clear the code with an OBDII reader so he can ride?

You can clear the code, but that's no guarantee it won't come right back. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:32 PM, Skidood said:

Would it be possible for this gentleman to clear the code with an OBDII reader so he can ride?

The folks at Burleson PowerSports (TX) cleared the code a few times but it returns about a half mile down the road and throttle response is "unpredictable" (read: Unsafe) to say the least..

• 1 month later...

*UPDATE* Bike comes back from Service with a new throttle position sensor. Now the bikes low speed throttle response is HORRIBLE! There's no such thing as just starting from a stop by finding the right combo of clutch and throttle. You have to rev way past 3-4K and sliiiiiiiiip the clutch out or it dies and there's no power. Very dangerous.

So it's going back again.  Yamaha corporate gave me 150US for the obscene repair wait time. Very disappointed in this bike. Probably going to trade it. Not worth it if I can't "key in and go" IMO

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
53 minutes ago, Milkcartonkid said:

Not worth it if I can't "key in and go" IMO

100% agree, and that’s a completely reasonable expectation for any modern motorcycle.   

I hope this one is a quick and easy fix to get the bike back in order.   They seem to be great bikes when they’re running well, so I totally understand your frustration.   It’s really inexcusable that a dealership service department would let it leave with those kind of ridability issues…  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 5/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, Milkcartonkid said:

I rode the Tracer as a commuter bike until last month (cussing the ever present low speed stalling) when I got the ECU reflash, and a nice steaming cup of an unexpected CEL regarding the TPS to go with it.

Such a downer, and I told myself to never buy a "first year" anything.

I've seen some rumbling on here about a TPS/throttle body problem that is similar to my issue.

I have been reading similar stories on the MT09 forum.  Seems like Yamaha is having some issues with the '21 models when they changed to the throttle grip sensor and fueling that is Euro 5 compliant.  Many issues of low rpm surging or engine stalling when coming to a stop.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***