Shock upgrade and two questions

bmfraider

Hi folks,

I am currently planning on upgrading my Tracer 900 GT shock with an Ohlins Ya 537 after checking the forum and seeing how happy some of you were with the results.

My first question to some more mechanically inclined members would be:

- Is it necessary to also upgrade the fork on this model ? The reason I upgraded is due to travelling two up most of the time and wanting a more compliant ride. It's worth noting that I am 220lb (100kg) in gear. With the old shock the fork works quite well (at least from my limited experience) with the rear preload set at max.

Second question is:

- Would Ya 537 also fit the Tracer 9 GT ? I may upgrade the bike once I reach high mileage numbers and keeping the shock would be great.

Thanks,

Sebastian

I’d say ride it with the new shock, Sebastian. It’ll probably feel just fine to you with the stock fork set up. If it were me, I’d adjust the fork preload at the minimum to appreciate the bike being more “sorted” with the shock upgrade. (Set your static sag as best you can with the stock springs). If you change your mind, you can always do the front forks later.

re will the shock fit a 9GT I’m not 200% positive, but I would guess No - due to the changes Yamaha made in the rear subframe and suspension on the new model. 

(someone with more info will correct me if I’m wrong I hope)

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1