CEL and low power after 2WDW flash

Hey all been a really long time since I posted. Finally decided to try out a tune for my 17 and it is not going well. I have a full yoshi system and nothing else done to the bike mechanically currently around 6500 miles. I also did replace the air filter with an OEM one while I had the bike apart to get at the ecu. I let the bike idle and warm up for a few minutes and everything seemed ok. As soon as I started down my block the bike just felt sluggish. Get out to the main road and give a little more juice obviously nothing crazy cause it's still cold but it just felt bad, look down and sure enough there's the CEL. Only rode it a few more minutes or so afterwards but it just did not feel good. I am pretty bummed out and just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similair issue or maybe there's something I did wrong. I don't have an easy way to scan the bike there are no shops or dealerships around me.

'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

37 minutes ago, suitedsevens said:

Hey all been a really long time since I posted. Finally decided to try out a tune for my 17 and it is not going well. I have a full yoshi system and nothing else done to the bike mechanically currently around 6500 miles. I also did replace the air filter with an OEM one while I had the bike apart to get at the ecu. I let the bike idle and warm up for a few minutes and everything seemed ok. As soon as I started down my block the bike just felt sluggish. Get out to the main road and give a little more juice obviously nothing crazy cause it's still cold but it just felt bad, look down and sure enough there's the CEL. Only rode it a few more minutes or so afterwards but it just did not feel good. I am pretty bummed out and just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similair issue or maybe there's something I did wrong. I don't have an easy way to scan the bike there are no shops or dealerships around me.

What is a yoshi system. I'm not familiar with that. I just got 2015Yamaha FJ-09 last July. I've done a BMC airfilter, Competition Werkes Slip-on, Ivan flash, Galfer wave rotors, Sargent seats, I've got Andreani fork cartridges ready to go in and will do the slipper clutch by mid summer. My bike loves to wheelie in first, second and third. 

Help!

I hope that you find and fix the problem. Sorry that I couldn't be of help yet.

10 minutes ago, Instinct28 said:

What is a yoshi system. I'm not familiar with that. I just got 2015Yamaha FJ-09 last July. I've done a BMC airfilter, Competition Werkes Slip-on, Ivan flash, Galfer wave rotors, Sargent seats, I've got Andreani fork cartridges ready to go in and will do the slipper clutch by mid summer. My bike loves to wheelie in first, second and third. 

Help!

I hope that you find and fix the problem. Sorry that I couldn't be of help yet.

Does Yoshi mean hello in Japanese? 

Edited by Instinct28
Wasn't finished

Full yoshimura exhaust system my man...

'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights

• Supporting Member

@Instinct28 - Yoshi will be short for Yoshimura, who builds very nice full exhaust systems for these bikes.  

@suitedsevens - I know these issues are frustrating, but I’m guessing it’s something simple.  Did you have the complete air box off, where you would possibly disturb something down around the throttle bodies?   If not, it’s likely either the harness plug not fully seated back onto the ECU (possible), or maybe something kinked or bound up in the fuel lines from having the tank off (more likely).  Was the exhaust installed previously, and had been running ok prior to the flash?   

• Thumbsup 1

@texscottydYes I am hoping it is just something simple. I was very careful with the tank when moving it around but it is definitely possible something might have happened there. The airbox I just took the lid off and swapped the filters and put the lid back on. I've had the exhaust system on for about 4 years so no issue there.

Is there a decent cheap scan tool for this bike? Probably would be quite helpful in this situation.

I would think you can eliminate the exhaust or air filter being the culprit.  I would suspect the reflash.  But do go back and check your work.   

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Do you already have a standard OBD2 code scanner?   If so, all you need is the 4 pin Yamaha to OBD2 connector cable.  

I found this one one for $16 on Amazon, but I’m sure there are other sources.   

@texscottydI didn't realize you just need an adapter. I did get an email back from 2wdw they say that you will always get a CEL after a flash that will clear itself after a few ride cycles. I had no idea about that so I guess I will ride it a little more tomorrow and see what happens. Still quite curious why it feels so sluggish. Will keep you all posted.

• Confused 1

• Supporting Member

I’ll be interested in how this works out.  For whatever it’s worth, I didn’t get any lights or codes when 2WDW did the flash on my 2015 FJ, and the bike ran great immediately after installing the updated ECU. 

We've already established that the 17 is way different than 15 and 16 as far as the ECU, codes, and reading them on the dash is concerned. 

Try riding to correct, but may need a code reader to reset.

Well I've done quite a few ride cycles and still have the CEL. Motor still feels like it's in some sort of pseudo limp mode hoping that is still directly related to the CEL and whatever I might have possibly screwed up. I ordered a scan tool and the 4 pin adapter hopefully they work and I can scan and clear the CEL.

Got the scanner and hooked it up. There were so many codes I didn't even write them all down. Intake barometric pressure fault, engine coolant fault, something about foot pedal position? Idk kinda crazy. Cleared them all we'll see what happens. Btw it costed me all of $30 for the cheapest scan tool on amazon and a knock off adapter and it works great.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, suitedsevens said:

Got the scanner and hooked it up. There were so many codes I didn't even write them all down. Intake barometric pressure fault, engine coolant fault, something about foot pedal position? Idk kinda crazy. Cleared them all we'll see what happens. Btw it costed me all of $30 for the cheapest scan tool on amazon and a knock off adapter and it works great.

That's something at the computer - I would guess a physical connection (poorly seated chip, connector not locked in, etc.) or just a bad flash. It's possible they could have loaded the wrong program. With that much "wrong" I'm surprised it even runs.