Gear ratio changes

I recently fitted a new chain and sprockets to the niken and altered it slightly by fitting a 1 tooth smaller to the front .The results are it's much more fun to ride with greater acceleration and allows  for a lot less cog swapping if that's how you want to ride or you can really use the revs more ,which is great fun .When riding to the speed limits while commuting it's actually better fuel consumption and if your really giving it the berries it's very slightly worse .All in a very worth while mod for me .

• Supporting Member

Very interesting mod...do you notice a bump in power if you ride with pillion? I've considered this because  I sometimes the long distance with pillion and felt the Niken seemed to struggle why pillion and could  use  the extra power. 

Also, what kind of fuel economy are you getting on average after the modification?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

On 5/6/2022 at 10:36 PM, peteinpa said:

Does your cruise control still work???

Funnily enough for some strange reason it disengages aproxamtly 5 seconds after setting ,but not sure that a sprocket change would affect this or be the cause as I understand it's based on speed and being in 4th gear and above .Do you know something we don't .

On 5/7/2022 at 1:16 PM, maximNikenGT said:

Very interesting mod...do you notice a bump in power if you ride with pillion? I've considered this because  I sometimes the long distance with pillion and felt the Niken seemed to struggle why pillion and could  use  the extra power. 

Also, what kind of fuel economy are you getting on average after the modification?

So the ride is much more involving and more fun and a big improvement over stock.The bike does not feel lacking at all .However in mode 1 you can get it feeling very light on the front if you are giving it the berries .Economy has dropped a little if your giving it a good clogging approx 42 mpg uk.Normal commute my mpg increased on average to around 49 mpg .On a longer run I averaged around 52mpg UK 

5 hours ago, Ferrett847 said:

Funnily enough for some strange reason it disengages aproxamtly 5 seconds after setting ,but not sure that a sprocket change would affect this or be the cause as I understand it's based on speed and being in 4th gear and above .Do you know something we don't .

Yes.   I just went through this myself.  You can't go that far in gearing.  You CAN run 16/47 successfully, but a 15/45 will break cruise control.  

Don't be like me.  I just spent $650 in diagnostics trying to get my CC fixed when it was purely my own fault with a $30 sprocket.  In my defense, who the hell thinks a single tooth up front will somehow break cruise control?  That's just *wierd*.  

What happens is the factory cruise control has a safety feature in which if the RPM's do not match expected ground speed it shuts off cruise control as a protection from over-revving the engine should the clutch fail or some such while under cruise control. 

But yeah, I REALLY loved the 15/45 gearing to ride.  Super fun.  The upside is that 16/47 is close and also good, and crucially it doesn't break cruise control, so it's not all bad.

• Thumbsup 2

On standard gearing my average was around 47mpg hard riding 43mpg .The altered gearing is so much more fun but the economy has dropped a little .Regarding ecu flash contact Andy at Junction 33 ,he does have a face book page .He is a very knowledgeable and helpful chap .I have not had mine flashed yet because he is looking into answers to some questions I have posed .I also plan to have it done when I service mine next .He has a lot of very positive Yamaha experience just read his reviews .I know a chap with an older mt09 which ran awful and after he had his flashed it was like anew bike just so much better in every department .If your after outright power gains yes it can be done and the older motors on the mt09/tracer have seen 10hp with flash ,pipe decat etc .If it's stock you tend to get better torque mid range and throttle response and better mpg .This is also allowing for removal of some restrictions preset  by Yamaha .