FJ09 Subframe

Smuzzle

• Premium Member

Why would you want to and it could be extremely complicated given the the VRR and other wiring. Then there's the undertray and saddle fitment and it's shorter and weaker in terms of terms of carrying capacity. I've never seen it done.

Each to their own

• Premium Member

The dichotomy of form and function

And the designers and engineers who put together the fj had form, function and cost goals that you want to change.

Good luck with that and I hope it makes you happy!

• Supporting Member

Hi @Smuzzle - I haven't actually seen it done, but I suppose with enough time & effort it would be possible.   I believe the early FJ and MT/FZ9 frames are the same, so the subframe from either will bolt on.   But, there is a ton of other stuff to sort out, since there are a lot of components densely packed into the FJ subframe...  the ABS pump and related plumbing being the most obvious that doesn't exist on the same year MT/FZ.   I'm sure the seat shape is different, and you would have to sort out the tank junction fit and mounting points.   Just a lot of effort involved.   

Let us know if you give it a try; I'll be interested to see how it turns out. 

Thanks for the effort, I will give it a try for sure!!

52 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @Smuzzle - I haven't actually seen it done, but I suppose with enough time & effort it would be possible.   I believe the early FJ and MT/FZ9 frames are the same, so the subframe from either will bolt on.   But, there is a ton of other stuff to sort out, since there are a lot of components densely packed into the FJ subframe...  the ABS pump and related plumbing being the most obvious that doesn't exist on the same year MT/FZ.   I'm sure the seat shape is different, and you would have to sort out the tank junction fit and mounting points.   Just a lot of effort involved.   

Let us know if you give it a try; I'll be interested to see how it turns out. 

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

As I said, the subframe is different* along with everything else back there.

*Longer and HD...

Of course is different….if it was the same I would not swap it….

Edited by Smuzzle
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1