Clutch Cable Failure at 6,000 miles

Over the past couple of weeks, I have noticed my clutch feeling "off" and I could not seem to get it right no matter what adjustments I made on either the engine side or the handlebar side. Also tried lubing it, but to no avail. It seemed like it was getting harder and harder to engage the clutch.

After reading about the clutch cable issues on 2015 FJ-09s, I decided it would be best to go ahead and order the updated cable Yamaha released just in case. So I stopped by my local dealer on the way home and ordered it. Low and behold, as I pulled onto the road I live on, the clutch cable snapped when I was changing gears. It broke right at the place where they redesigned the new cable, near the lever. Luckily, I was able to easily ride it home since I was so close. Timing is everything! I got lucky on this one, it could have happened at a much worse time. 

• Thumbsup 9

• Supporting Member

Yikes, that is perfect timing.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Availability?

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/2pp-26335-02-00/cable-clutch

I'll have to check when I replaced my original, which was not even frayed with a V2, so I know how many miles are on it.  I keep it and the throttle cables well lubed along with the throttle tube.  I have a spare V2 and am considered keeping it in my top case.  That is  whenever I get BITS.

• Premium Member

Bought my 15 Fastest Red new in 07-16 and now have about 52k miles on the honey.  So WOW!

So far I've been able to perform all my own work, other than mandatory recalls, including valve lash adjustment and changing tires.

Out of my maintenance log

2017/01/21 9,855

Clutch Cable replacement