Yamaha parts availability warning!

With the riding season in full swing you might want to order any parts asap. Like that first gen. clutch cable that WILL break.

I ordered some spare head gaskets for my QT50 Yamahopper. closest trace is July 15th!  From Japan to Georgia then rest of US.

You don't want to miss 1/2 or more of season for a stupid critical part!

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

With the riding season in full swing you might want to order any parts asap. Like that first gen. clutch cable that WILL break.

I ordered some spare head gaskets for my QT50 Yamahopper. closest trace is July 15th!  From Japan to Georgia then rest of US.

You don't want to miss 1/2 or more of season for a stupid critical part!

Agreed, I have found the same thing, not only oem parts but maintenance related consumables as well.  Depending where I shop, I have found certain vendors back ordered on tires, chains, cases of certain oil etc. and ordered oem Yamaha parts that had to be shipped from Japan.

37 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

That is one reason I own multiple motorcycles……..unexpected down time.  I always order new tires right after I install a fresh set.

Same here, Bridgestone recently had their $50 rebate promo and a lot of vendors were out of stock (and still out of stock), fortunately I have extras in the garage.  Choosing between 2 bikes helps as well.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Waiting on a nut and bolt for the shock. On a slow boat from Japan. I have the rebuilt Nitron ready to install. Also have chain and sprockets to install. Want to do it all at the same time. I'm still riding. Front tire needs to be replaced. I have one, but Cycle Gear here in Meridian is backed up 5 days. Bummer. Back in Sacramento I could get both tires done before noon. Everybody is shorthanded.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

My FJ is overdue for TB sync and valves...while it's in for that I hope to have something else to ride (just have to close the deal on a CRF250).  During riding season there is no such thing as a fast shop here.  I expect the FJ to be away from home for several weeks.  This is maintenance I will learn, but this spring/summer is shaping up to be a bit too hectic to take the time.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, knyte said:

My FJ is overdue for TB sync and valves...while it's in for that I hope to have something else to ride (just have to close the deal on a CRF250).  During riding season there is no such thing as a fast shop here.  I expect the FJ to be away from home for several weeks.  This is maintenance I will learn, but this spring/summer is shaping up to be a bit too hectic to take the time.

That is the exact reason that I get everything done over the winter, the local shops can routinely be booked out 4 weeks or more.  The only thing I might have to do during the summer is an oil change or a new rear tire, I bought a 2nd rear wheel on eBay so a fresh tire is no more than a 5 minute swap.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Yep, I completely procrastinated my way into a corner :)  But hey it gets me a second bike.

A second set of rims would be fantastic!  Fresh tires; always ready.

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

I had a premonition and starting hording parts right before the pandemic.  Had a spare set of wheels almost in hand but had to back out when my cages brakes needed replacement, again.  I have a fresh set of T32 which I shouldn't need this season unless my shoulder improves much faster than anticipated, so a buddy who's low on discretionary funds asked if he could have them in the mean time, and will buy me a replacement set maybe by September or so.  No worries.  Have had a spare V2 clutch cable for 3 years+ along with air and oil filters, oil, brake pads, fork fluid and parts, etc..  This friggin situation is just crazy!  It was bad enough between lack of product availability and no one wanting to work, and it's gotten a lot worse with Putin's war.  And no baby formula?!  It drives me crazy that kids in the richest country in the world go to bed hungry at night, and destitute parents who still must have the latest cell phone, a cage nicer than my 17 year old rust bucket and cable TV (which I don't).  I have to finally gas up the cage again and am dreading it.  Was going to try to buy a new or decent used car this year but that isn't happening.  POTAS is doing what he can but inherited this mess and the Pubs turn around and blame him and block everything just to get back the in power.  They could care less about us.  And don't get me started on the Supreme Court, and those members who lied about R v W during their hearings.   

Rant over...

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah, who the hell takes their motorcycle to a shop?

Seriously, that way lies only heartache and pain... in much of the US, motorcycle mechanicking is mostly a seasonal job, so they either slow way down because the only skilled mechanics are completely snowed under (and they want time off to go riding too), or they hire a bunch of wrench-twiddling teens, goobers, freaks, drifters, and other undesirables they can fire in the fall.

The truth is, off and on supplies of tires, parts, etc. have always been a fact of life for motorcyclists. There have always been random tire shortages in the spring. Parts for Japanese bikes have always been a roll of the dice.

I've had orders held up countless times waiting for elderly Japanese mountain craftsmen to hew some obscure washer or widget out of unobtanium and put it on the monthly yak headed to the port.

Things have absolutely gotten significantly worse in the last few years, yes, but there never ever was any such thing as a "golden era" when everything and anything could be on your doorstep in a few days.

So yes, multiple motorcycles are the only rational answer...

• Haha 1