Adding one more to the stable

knyte

• Supporting Member

2016 Honda CRF250L.  Guess I gotta start hitting the gym now...

s-l640.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 5

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Thanks.  Been looking for something like this for over a year.  Finally found one that's not-too-new, but new enough -  and the right price range.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Fair enough, I'm just feeling the Covid Waistline lately and am hoping a more dirt-biased bike will help motivate me a bit towards better health.  Dirt riding takes considerably more energy than street - at least, the kind of dirt riding I want to do :)

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, knyte said:

Dirt riding takes considerably more energy than street - at least, the kind of dirt riding I want to do :)

Yes it does, even when its cold outside, I sweat every time I rode my dirtbike, mostly singletrack, enduro type woods riding.  Unfortunately, that's past tense for me now, after riding dirtbikes for over 45 years, my arm surgery was the last straw, my very well setup YZ250 2-stroke was a partial trade for my current VFR1200X. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Because I travel a LOT between BC (dad is there) and Alberta (where I live), I've always wanted a small dual sport I can load onto a carrier, if I drive, and just drop it and ride some trail if I want.  There are SO many trails and forestry roads along the way, it's astounding.  Hinton and Valemount especially, but there are plenty other areas.  Even with the right tires, I'm leery of taking the FJ on some of those roads.

I don't anticipate any supermans or tabletops for awhile...nothing too extreme.  I mean, I have more than one cage for different types of driving, and so now with riding, too.  It's just fun learning new things and building skill.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

I grew up on dirtbikes and had them regularly until about 55 years old and realized I just didn’t heal up as quick from getting offs as I once did. 

So I took up cycling as a casual low impact exercise regiment and try to do it 2-3 times a week after work. I can get in 11-20 miles in an afternoon on some really nice paved bike paths close to my house that circle around a bay of a much larger lake that’s basically in my back yard. I do tempt Fate at times and do some back road riding but mostly when the traffic is light. 

My cardio is excellent and I’m in great shape at 59. Weights where it should be for my height and size. I’m not in my blood pressure medicine anymore. Cycling has been good for me and it really relaxes me. Word of advice but a top dollar nice bike to begin with you’ll enjoy the ride way more. I’m on an all carbon fiber TREK that’s 21 lbs total weight. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

NICE!  I've got an aluminum Cannondale cyclocross with Italian rims, haven't weighed it yet but it's FAR less than any bicycle I've ever owned.  Got it from a Dutch friend who's a cycling fanatic.  You're right, it's a great low-impact exercise machine.

• Thumbsup 1

Love bicycling and have a Specialized gravel road bike thats aluminum with CF fork.  Gave up riding on the streets after too many close call with soccer mom's in SUVs.m One favorite moment was riding down a long straight residential street with someone behind me who wouldn't go by.  Just as I was going to make a left turn someone several cars back decided o pass.  I gave my signal but was watching for idiots (look for stupid and am seldom surprised).  They panicked and ducked back into the line of cars.  Was fun to watch the video from my rear GoPro.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 5/14/2022 at 7:37 AM, roy826 said:

I’m not in my blood pressure medicine anymore.

That's amazing, congrats!!  I've an uncle that was able to reverse impending diabetes similarly.  Love stories like this.

• Thumbsup 2