I want...Honda 650 Nighthawk

peteinpa

My first bike, brand new 83 Honda 650 Nighthawk. Even same color.

I'm getting nostalgic. Also been quite a while since I only had 1 bike. Wish I could have this so same bike beginning and end of my riding career.

I don't have the scratch for the itch. ☹️  This thing will go min. of $4000 I'm sure. 

Screenshot_20220517-174350_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

• Supporting Member

I've got an '83 NH 550c.  I only rode it a short while; long enough to know a) I don't fit on it very well b) it needs work.  I plan on fixing it up for my g/f, it'd fit her just about right.

LOVED it though.  The style, and that torque; my god the torque - in any gear.

Too bad the fuel tank is so small, it'd make a great UJM otherwise.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

@peteinpa - Keep an eye on this auction… might be a chance to semi-steal one.  That said, BaT auctions have been pulling stupefying money of late, so who knows.  The earlier CB-F models (750, 900, and especially 1100) have been on fire recently, but it seems to me like these Nighthawks haven’t generated as much collector interest. Yet.  The exception being the 700 Nighthawk S, which I feel was one of the best bikes of the era.   

Cool bike.  Will be interesting to see what it brings…. 

I've been through this before, I feel like an addict.  Just one more hit...Come on. 

I almost bought one a few years ago. Checked it out with the owner.  Stopped myself, parts are becoming unobtainium, there are a few inherent problems with them. #2 big end bearing, starter chain, CCT, but it goes beyond logic.

Must stop.

Never know on this auction.  Might go at $3k might go to $7k.  

What IS a good price today? It's gone crazy!  Been watching for quite a while.

Edited by peteinpa
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

What IS a good price today?

That’s a very personal ‘what are you comfortable paying’ question for any given bike.  If two people REALLY want that (typically for sentimental reasons), it could get very pricey.  But if you’re the only serious buyer, you might luck out and get it comparatively cheap.   BaT has such a large reach now that non-competitive auctions are rare.  

My kryptonite would be a nice, original, red & black 1986 Suzuki GS1150E.  First bike I ever bought new, and the one I still regret ever parting with.   I would pay foolish money to own one again… 

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

That’s a very personal ‘what are you comfortable paying’ question for any given bike.  If two people REALLY want that (typically for sentimental reasons), it could get very pricey.  But if you’re the only serious buyer, you might luck out and get it comparatively cheap.   BaT has such a large reach now that non-competitive auctions are rare.  

My kryptonite would be a nice, original, red & black 1986 Suzuki GS1150E.  First bike I ever bought new, and the one I still regret ever parting with.   I would pay foolish money to own one again… 

just mlssed an 85 April 4th.

Screenshot_20220517-222230_Gallery.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

If I'm buying an additional bike it will have inverted forks and rear mono shock suspension. I want a 2022 r1 oh my.

I loved my first bike too. 1982 Seca 400cc, I was 19yo but I'm totally in love with my 2015 fj-09. I've done a lot of upgrades to it. 

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

just mlssed an 85 April 4th

Tempting, and oh so close, but not quite ‘The One’  :) 

Mine was an E instead of an ES, so the unfaired naked bike version.   And a different paint scheme on the 1986 models….  If it had been that specific combination, I would likely be trying to explain an unplanned $8k+ expense to my wife right now.  

Only $400 on that 650 Nighthawk…. You should register to bid, just in case. 

That's a little nuts. The first street bike I rode was my newphew's (my much older brother's kid, only a few years younger than I) clapped out '83 Nighthawk 650. I loved it so much, I hunted down something similar. I ended up with an '82, which is a completely different bike (chain, SOHC, etc.), but it had a round headlight and 4-4 exhaust. It sounded brilliant screaming at 9k rpm, even if it wasn't going fast. 

I really wish I would have picked up a 700SC instead. The only other bike I want more is a ZRX1100/1200 🥺