Oil Leak - Is this the gasket failing?

• Supporting Member

Looks like a greasy fingerprint?

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

4 minutes ago, knyte said:

Looks like a greasy fingerprint?

I agree.  Have you wiped it clean multiple times and it still comes back?

If so might be porous there?

It is right below the clutch arm, is it leaking there?

I thought it was the clutch arm also, but it isn't oily at all.  It doesn't come back with the same pattern each time.  Sometimes it is half an inch left, right or lower than in the photo.  I can smell oil when I stop at a light.  

The volume of oil is very small.  

• Supporting Member

...that's what I was thinking too, like the chain or something, but that's on the other side.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Tape a small piece of white tshirt/paper to the case…..go ride and see what happens.  It looks to be an external leak falling on your case, not internal/porous casting.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1

No - it jumps around an inch or so north/south/east/west.  It takes five miles or so of riding to appear. 

I'm guessing it is a gasket failing, but I'd like to be able to see oil originating from a location before replacing gaskets.