tracer swingarm on fj

trevinator

i just ordered the longer swingarm from the tracer to swap onto my 2017 fj. im hoping to get some better high speed stability out of it. i understand that the spring is a bit stiffer on the tracer for the added length of the swingarm and that i will need a longer chain and brake hose. might take some time to get it sorted perfectly, but with the whole swingarm costing about the same or less than swingarm extensions, i figure why not try it.

• Like 2

I know the 17/18 has a 10mm longer swingarm than the 15/16 and are interchangeable, but I thought the later models have a different mounting set up and don't fit.

Edited by OZVFR

One thing I have noticed about my Tracer 9 is that it is very straight-line stable. Both my Harley tourers wanted to hunt and peck side to side. At times drove me mad. So I really took notice of this on the Tracer. I can understand wanting the stability and it probably is due to the longer swingarm. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

One thing I have noticed about my Tracer 9 is that it is very straight-line stable. Both my Harley tourers wanted to hunt and peck side to side. At times drove me mad. So I really took notice of this on the Tracer. I can understand wanting the stability and it probably is due to the longer swingarm. 

the problem im having, is that when passing cars and then slowing back down, the front of the bike sways side to side like a mild case of a tank slapper that only goes away when back down to around 60ish. i think part of it is the large windscreen and the large panniers i have on the bike causing massive amounts of drag and bad aero. im hoping the longer swingarm can cure or at the least help out with it.

just ordered a tracer rear brake hose. the killer is that the shipping was 4x the cost of the part since its from overseas. im hoping i can get enough slack with the abs wire, or i'll just lengthen it myself, because im not paying $200 for a new sensor.

18 minutes ago, trevinator said:

just ordered a tracer rear brake hose. the killer is that the shipping was 4x the cost of the part since its from overseas. im hoping i can get enough slack with the abs wire, or i'll just lengthen it myself, because im not paying $200 for a new sensor.

The oem cable is probably co-ax.

If you can get a male and female connector [that fits the loom like the ABS connector] you can make an extender without cutting the cable and risking a bodge. Ebay will probably have the right connectors.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, pilninggas said:

The oem cable is probably co-ax.

If you can get a male and female connector [that fits the loom like the ABS connector] you can make an extender without cutting the cable and risking a bodge. Ebay will probably have the right connectors.

found and ordered the connector. 8th one down on this website. http://www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, trevinator said:

the problem im having, is that when passing cars and then slowing back down, the front of the bike sways side to side like a mild case of a tank slapper that only goes away when back down to around 60ish. i think part of it is the large windscreen and the large panniers i have on the bike causing massive amounts of drag and bad aero. im hoping the longer swingarm can cure or at the least help out with it.

I have the 2015 FJ-09, just got it last July and I recently took off the windshield and handguards because it's hot enough and wobble, it seems to have helped about 10mph. It was 95mph that wobble started so now its at about 115 with or without the panniers 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, OZVFR said:

I know the 17/18 has a 10mm longer swingarm than the 15/16 and are interchangeable, but I thought the later models have a different mounting set up and don't fit.

looking at the parts diagrams, the mounting bolt and all the associated bearings are the same, so it should bolt right up. even the rear shock assemblies share the same part number between the tracer and the fj, so it looks like i should be ok with the stock shock too. the hugger and chain guard are different though, so i found and ordered those today as well as a 118 link x-ring chain. so now, i should have everything i need on the way to convert it! 😊

• Thumbsup 3

i added it all up, and so far there is about $450 in parts for everything. but $100+ in just shipping! it was $50+ for the shipping of the $15 (used) brake hoses from across the pond.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

making progress! the new swingarm will bolt right up. there are 6 things you will need, the swingarm, new chain, new brake line and 11, 13 and 18 from this parts diagram, although, im reusing 11. i had to cut most of the rear lower retaining part to get it to fit, but it'll work till i get the right one. as for the abs wire, there is a rubber grommet at the brake line block. if you free the grommet from the wire so it will slide up and down, it should have enough room without extending the wires(which involves removing a bunch of stuff i dont feel like removing to get to the stupid plug!) should have it done later today, just taking a break to cool off.

20220530_121224_HDR.jpg

20220530_121237_HDR.jpg

20220530_124605_HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, trevinator said:

should have it done later today, just taking a break to cool off.

Glad its working so far.  Keep us posted on how the bike rides after its back together. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

got the swingarm on and WOW! fixed about 98% of the speed wobbles and just feels more stable overall. i can whack the throttle sooner without the front coming up so easily as well. this should honestly be a recall for the early bikes, its that much better. its completely stable up to 100 now where it would almost be a tank slapper around 90 with the rear panniers on. its got a new rear sprocket with blue accents and a gold chain in the process. still waiting on the rubber dampened 15 tooth front sprocket to show up though. WELL worth the little money spent on this upgrade! 😊

20220530_145812_HDR.jpg

20220530_145818_HDR.jpg

20220530_145833_HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2

Impressive!  Good sticking to it and making it work.

I on the other hand like my quick steering and flickability.  The key to avoid instability is a light grip on the bars. You can't fight an oscillation, just grip lightly and it will be stable. 

• Thumbsup 2