tracer swingarm on fj

trevinator

2 hours ago, trevinator said:

my bike still has the stock springs and it seems ok to me...... thats why im hesitant on going with the recommended weight springs for fear that they will be stiffer than i want. both the rear 11.6 and front .90 springs are a x1.3 rate increase approximately, so it should still be balanced. i was just concerned when i got the new 11.6 rear spring and its nearly incompressible!

Set your front sag correctly, than use a cable tie on the front fork to see if you're bottoming out.

My guess is that you are.

13 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

Set your front sag correctly, than use a cable tie on the front fork to see if you're bottoming out.

My guess is that you are.

it doesnt feel like i have bottomed out the front, but i have DEFINITELY bottomed out the rear.

4 hours ago, trevinator said:

it doesnt feel like i have bottomed out the front, but i have DEFINITELY bottomed out the rear.

A cable tie is the easiest way to be sure.

I'm 72kg (158lb) and used to bottom out the front all the time until I replaced springs and valves/shim stacks.

I don't think your 17 is much difference to my 15 spring wise.

The stock rear shock (a tin can with a toilet plunger, a spring and 2 tea spoons of oil) is the cheapest of the cheap. Impossible to get working well, replacement is only bang for buck option.

Edited by OZVFR

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, trevinator said:

my bike still has the stock springs and it seems ok to me...... thats why im hesitant on going with the recommended weight springs for fear that they will be stiffer than i want. both the rear 11.6 and front .90 springs are a x1.3 rate increase approximately, so it should still be balanced. i was just concerned when i got the new 11.6 rear spring and its nearly incompressible!

There's only one way to know, try it and see how it feels but like @OZVFRmentioned, place a zip tie on your fork leg and go out for a ride in the manner that you usually ride and then check how close the zip tie is to the bottom.  Good luck. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

whoever said the zx6r shock clears with the reservoir down is lying. it hits HARD on the starter on my 2017. it has no other way to go except up, which means removing the crash bars so i can remove the fairings and then the tank to gain access.... yay.

Edited by trevinator

Keep in mind that once that shock is installed there will be no way of adjusting the spring preload without removing it.

Seems like a crazy idea for a bike that will have varying loads.

3 minutes ago, OZVFR said:

Keep in mind that once that shock is installed there will be no way of adjusting the spring preload without removing it.

Seems like a crazy idea for a bike that will have varying loads.

the most it will see is about 20lbs of cargo including the panniers on my daily commute. i hardly ever take the panniers off. and what i carry in them is usually not more than 10lbs or so. besides, im pretty sure i can get a punch in there to adjust it easily.

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 1

looks like there is a company close by, by the name of hygear suspension. i think i will send the shock to them to have it rebuilt. likely needs seals, oil and charge. will probably have them revalve it based on the new spring weight as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I originally looked at this and other similar options.  I determined it would not be  an easy or that inexpensive project when your time is included, and that the results may be less than stellar with limited adjustability. 

That's why I went with a K-Tech Razor R for under $700 at the time. 

8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I originally looked at this and other similar options.  I determined it would not be  an easy or that inexpensive project when your time is included, and that the results may be less than stellar with limited adjustability. 

That's why I went with a K-Tech Razor R for under $700 at the time. 

when done, it will have adjustable high and low speed compression, adjustable rebound, and adjustable preload. i will have spent hundreds less than an aftermarket shock as well. as for my time, i have wasted it doing much worse than replacing a shock.

• Confused 1

threw the bike back together with the zx10 spring on the stock fj shock slightly higher spring rate should prevent bottoming out. i also installed the 15 tooth sprocket i got in finally. we'll see how it is tonight on the way to work.

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 1

• 11 months later...

its been a while, but i still have not had the shock rebuilt. still doesnt seem to ride bad. have to say, im loving the extra stability of the longer swingarm every time i ride the bike! it doesnt wheelie as easily now, but i dont get tank slappers at ANY speed anymore, and i had it up to about 105 earlier today with the tall windshield, larger handguards and 45 liter side cases, perfectly stable. before it would tank slap around 70ish. best thing i ever did to this bike!