Thinking of selling to buy a Tenere 700

So, new bike itch is kinda sinking in.

The big tracer just isn't getting its legs stretched anymore as I am only doing a short commute now. I think its pure luck that beasty motor hasn't got me locked up yet either.

I had a Tenere 660 previously that I loved and put over 90,000k's on, so I am happy with the riding position etc.

My question is has anyone done a similar down/side grade and is happy with it? I loved the idea of a Mt-07 motor in an adventure frame the second it came out. The only thing that bugs me is going back to fixing tubes on the side of the road rather than jamming a quick rope plug in there. They are pulling silly money at the moment though so it's gunna hurt! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tracer I kinda just want something a little higher, comfier and better on fuel.

Thoughts?

My FJ-09 is a downsizing.  Previous bike was a ST1300.  During that time I had a FZ-07.  I liked the FZ but found the engine slightly lacking at fast speed. I like having the power to zip up to 100mph or more when needed.

I traded both for my FJ-09. I'm happy. FJ is light AND has the power I like to use every ride.

Im also NOT a fan of tube tires. Just no.

Ten 7 also has a butt wedge for a seat.  Saw one at a dealer.

• Thumbsup 2

I have a Tenere 700 and a Tracer 900 GT.  The Tenere 700 fits me better with lowered foot pegs and the taller Yamaha Rally seat…..it is a tall bike.  Both the Tracer and T700 engines are great with decent power for what I do.  The tubed tires of the T700 do suck for sure as I have had both front and rear flats during ownership.  I may end up doing a taped, tubeless conversion with the next tire change.  Dodged a bullet last week with a nail in the tire that did not cause a flat.

I will say that the Tenere 700 feels way heavier than it scales and is very top heavy.  I had to re-spring it front and rear to match my 230 lb riding weight as it is very soft from the factory.

The Tracer feels lighter than it is and is more nimble than the T700…..it could use a little more steering lock to lock though.  I am selling my Tracer because ergonomically it is just too small for my larger size and 35” inseam.

I will be keeping the Tenere 700 for a while.

9EA093C1-3038-42B0-9478-616A41A5D3EB.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5

On 5/21/2022 at 4:50 AM, Buggy Nate said:

So, new bike itch is kinda sinking in.

The big tracer just isn't getting its legs stretched anymore as I am only doing a short commute now. I think its pure luck that beasty motor hasn't got me locked up yet either.

I had a Tenere 660 previously that I loved and put over 90,000k's on, so I am happy with the riding position etc.

My question is has anyone done a similar down/side grade and is happy with it? I loved the idea of a Mt-07 motor in an adventure frame the second it came out. The only thing that bugs me is going back to fixing tubes on the side of the road rather than jamming a quick rope plug in there. They are pulling silly money at the moment though so it's gunna hurt! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Tracer I kinda just want something a little higher, comfier and better on fuel.

Thoughts?

20220326_194529.thumb.jpg.e51a21f3339fd859a108a461c29dd999.jpg

So.  The Tenere 700 is definitely taller, gets you excellent in town visibility, and IMHO is a FAR BETTER short distance around town bike.  The Tracer just wants to go faster all the time, and is very unhappy holding lower speed limits.  If you're a very tall guy (6'4", 300lbs here) you can get lowered pegs and god, it's SO MUCH more comfortable.  

If tube tires are really a problem, there are tubliss kits.  I dunno about you guys, though, I've never had flats to fix over some 30 years riding, so it's never really been an issue for me.  If I where riding in town and got a flat, though, I'd not be fixing it on the side of the road, I'd just get an Uber home, and come pick it up with a trailer then fix at home.  That's just me though; it's such an incredibly uncommon thing to have happen that it's not worth worrying about. 

The stock seat is hard.  It's not comfortable.  It's fine around town, but if you're taking long trips you want at least a cover (see: Mad Dog covers from amazon for a cheap one, or better one of the Cool Covers covers, or just a sheepie or whatever) or an aftermarket seat.

When riding in town, I nearly always choose the T7.  And here, to be clear, is not like a busy American city; we've got a couple million people but Calgary is HUGE, so speed limits tend to be between 60-70 or 100kph.  The CP2 has plenty of get up and go short of 160kph/100mph, you never feel slow (unless lining up with a supersport at a stop light anyways, but even then it's fine initially). 

Also, the T7 is WAY happier just bouncing over curbs and such if you need to go somewhere that the road doesn't exactly support.  

If I had to sell one of the two bikes?  It'd pain me, but it'd be the Tracer.  The T7 gets me offroad riding I can't really do on the Tracer, and it's more fun for commuting to work.  Where the Tracer is superior is on road trips, but as much as I love road trips they're only around a third of my overall riding, with commuting and adventure trips being another third each.  

Interestingly, there's talk of a Tenere 900 replacing the Super Tenere.  I'm honestly unsure if I'd want to trade both these in for one or not.  On one hand, the notion of adding 50hp, TCS, cruise control and such to the Tenere 700 makes it a dominant choice for long distance riding, but it'd almost certainly come at a large weight premium and that power would be unpleasant offroad.  I dunno.  Definitely wouldn't for a current Super Ten, it's twin is booooring.  

Fuel economy: The Tenere is better, but not by a lot.  I wouldn't factor this into the decision at all to be honest, as the actual dollars per month difference is going to be around a cup of coffee's worth.  Irrelevant.

• Thumbsup 2

On 5/21/2022 at 7:39 AM, whisperquiet said:

I have a Tenere 700 and a Tracer 900 GT.  The Tenere 700 fits me better with lowered foot pegs and the taller Yamaha Rally seat…..it is a tall bike.  Both the Tracer and T700 engines are great with decent power for what I do.  The tubed tires of the T700 do suck for sure as I have had both front and rear flats during ownership.  I may end up doing a taped, tubeless conversion with the next tire change.  Dodged a bullet last week with a nail in the tire that did not cause a flat.

I will say that the Tenere 700 feels way heavier than it scales and is very top heavy.  I had to re-spring it front and rear to match my 230 lb riding weight as it is very soft from the factory.

The Tracer feels lighter than it is and is more nimble than the T700…..it could use a little more steering lock to lock though.  I am selling my Tracer because ergonomically it is just too small for my larger size and 35” inseam.

I will be keeping the Tenere 700 for a while.

As a tall guy, yeah, the T7 with a tall seat and lowered pegs is supremely comfortable.  I mean, I can't say it enough.  Stock it's still "normal" for tall-guy-on-a-regular-bike, but there's so much more room to make it fit you thanks to the ground clearance and taller optional seats.  I bought my Tracer specifically because my old MT07 was just way too small and the MT09 was largely the same size, and I do like that the Tracer is bigger... But it feels absolutely cramped in comparison.  

• Thumbsup 2

Yeah, I’ve done about 90,000k’s on the old style tenere with supermotard wheels and had a stupid amount of flats which we’re always fixed on the side of the road. I have seen a few tubeless kits around for the wheels.

I absolutely love the tracer’s engine but if I am completely honest the bike never really fit me all that well. I have lower rear sets and a tall seat to just get by.

I was heading out for a test ride today and the skies opened up. So I went home as I want some good weather to try the bike out in. Not struggling to see 6 metres in front of me! 🤣

Cheers for the replies guys!

• Premium Member

I have a custom Sargent that adds about a 1/2 or so over OE, and lowered more forward adjustable pegs.  The taller and more swept back handlebars and wind screen make my fastest red 15 supremely comfortable.  Enough so I cut off the Pussy Grips since the BBs and bar end weights with the KTM Adventure hand guards have me forgetting to shift up from 4th when at 65 + mph.  I swear, and I'm 6-1 in socks and a big guy, in warm weather with flowers sweetening the air I sometimes have to fight to not nod off.

Buddy of mine has a KTM 790 and he loves it, the OP might consider that or I believe now it's an 890? I see several around here out on my twisty country rides, and they are typically covered in mud/dirt. LOL

KTM makes both a 790 and 890 adv. They just don’t have the Yamaha reliability. They do offer tubeless wheels, which is a plus. And the weird styling of the fuel tank does make it feel lighter in comparison to the T7. Stock seat is marginally better. Stock suspension on reg Adv is “eh” IMHO but the 790/890 Adv R suspension is pretty killer. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, skipperT said:

KTM makes both a 790 and 890 adv. They just don’t have the Yamaha reliability. They do offer tubeless wheels, which is a plus. And the weird styling of the fuel tank does make it feel lighter in comparison to the T7. Stock seat is marginally better. Stock suspension on reg Adv is “eh” IMHO but the 790/890 Adv R suspension is pretty killer. 

-Skip

Buddy's has been very reliable, also has cc and plenty of other electronic gadgetry as well. I have seen plenty of issues with Yamaha's as well, but agree overall that Euro bikes are a different animal. 

I was in a dealer in Asheville N.C. last weekend and looked at the T7 they had on the floor. If one was leaning toward a lot more off road type riding it looked like it would fit the bill well.  It was just too minimalist for my current riding style.  Tall and narrow seat doesn't look like it would be comfortable for hours on end riding. Not much wind or weather protection as well.

6 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I was in a dealer in Asheville N.C. last weekend and looked at the T7 they had on the floor. If one was leaning toward a lot more off road type riding it looked like it would fit the bill well.  It was just too minimalist for my current riding style.  Tall and narrow seat doesn't look like it would be comfortable for hours on end riding. Not much wind or weather protection as well.

What year was that T7?

'15 FJ09