Motorcycle Ergonomics: Fitting the Motorcycle to You

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

What do we do when we purchase a new motorcycle? Farkle, Bling, Farkle, Bling ...

Well, I did🙄

Dave Moss tips

Bicycling has the Fit Kit and Body Geometry and a bunch of other systems to fit a rider to the bike. The same thing could be done with a motorcycle. I sometimes think about going to a narrower Tracer bar and rotating it slightly forward. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I sometimes think about going to a narrower Tracer bar and rotating it slightly forward. 

I rotated the stock bar on my FJ forward several degrees when I installed the lower Rizoma risers, and that dropped the angle of the levers down from stock.   This layout works really well for me, although I'm still considering cutting down the bar width by about 3/4 inch on both sides.    It's nice that there is room to adjust the ergonomics on these bikes. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
25 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I rotated the stock bar on my FJ forward several degrees when I installed the lower Rizoma risers, and that dropped the angle of the levers down from stock.   This layout works really well for me, although I'm still considering cutting down the bar width by about 3/4 inch on both sides.    It's nice that there is room to adjust the ergonomics on these bikes. 

Just put some tassels on the end, they would look nice 😁

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

The reason for my humor is because I bought new levers as I don't like the look of the stock pewter. I'm the guy Moss is referring to as I didn't really give much thought to ergonomics. This lesson was an eye opener for me.

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

I didn't really give much thought to ergonomics. The lesson is an eye opener to me.

Ergonomics are the first thing I adjust/modify on an bike I own. 
I don’t know that I have ever used a stock handlebar on any bike.  Usually taller with slight more rearward sweep and cut narrower., and lever angle is crucial for me. 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sorry, I don't know how to do the quote thingy but Texscottyd you said you used Rizoma risers to lower your bar. I want to do the same (lower, move forward and make narrower) but haven't found anything I like. Can you post a photo or send a link for the part?

• Supporting Member

Hi @Jimthevagabond - Take a look at this post, and then scroll down to see install photos & updates over the next page or so:  

They are Rizoma 60mm risers, part number AZ403B. 

I’ve had them on the bike now for a couple of years, and have been very happy with the results.   

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks Texscottyd! I looked them up and read your post on installing them; it was very helpful. I will order them soon an put them on.

BTW Have you noticed a change in handling? I have a bit of front end wobble and hope leaning forward more (weight on front wheel) will help, not to mention be more comfy for my riding style.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, TracerNed said:

Thanks for posting this video.  After watching it, I rotated my handlebars back slightly and adjusted the brake lever to use my finger tips.  Big improvement in brake feel.

Remember to do the same for your feet.  The shift lever and brake pedal are height adjustable as well and the shift lever will greatly affect your shifting smoothness.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***