Canaan Valley, WV

duhg

• Premium Member

I attended the MSTA Canaan Valley Just for Fun event last weekend and had a great time.  I stayed at the resort lodge and followed routes provided by the organizers.  I rode there from Columbus, OH with two friends and returned alone.  I didn't alienate the others, to my knowledge😉, we just had different plans for Sunday.   In all I rode 1211 miles in 4 days.  The riding alternated between smooth state routes and narrow country lanes, went down scenic valleys and over switchbacked mountains.  We didn't go far from the resort, rather we concentrated on the lesser known roads in the area.  I had wanted to travel up to Berkeley Springs on Saturday, but the forecast was for 92 degrees F, so I stayed in the higher elevations.  It was cool on top of Spruce Knob.

We had lunch in the Curly Maple general store in Monterey, VA on Friday - friendly folks, good sandwiches.  On Saturday we entered the Korner Shop Cafe in Franklin, WV and were serenaded by the kitchen staff singing along with the radio, "You Never Even Called Me by My Name."  More good sandwiches and pie.

On the way home Sunday I rode through Helvetia and past two mines where the mud-covered roads transferred a load of silt to my bike, which ended up in my driveway.  I dodged the rain until Barlow, OH and mostly encountered wet roads after that.  

fj at germany valley half.jpg

fj canaan half.jpg

fog canaan half.jpg

road not suitable 2.jpg

seneca rocks half.jpg

shadows at germany valley half.jpg

spruce knob half.jpg

trilium spruce knob.jpg

Curly Maple.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise