2015 Tracer 900 First Impressions (and new here!)

Hey y'all. I just bought a 15' Tracer and naturally I signed up here as well. Thought Id say hello.

My first impressions of this bike are overall excellent. The motor sounds amazing, its pulls super hard at any time and handles great. Feels like I could use this bike for anything like spending an afternoon ripping through twisties, going on a multi day tour or just zip over to the coffee shop. 

Having said all that, there is one glaring issue with my bike. Im a fairly spirited rider and when I start approaching 150km/h under accerlation the front end starts to really wobble. I mean its basically unmanageable and I have to ease of the throttle. Ive attempted it multiple times with the same result. It seems it only happends under accerlation though. If I cruise at 150km/h there is no wobble, however it does feels extra vibey. I honestl dont believe it is my riding technique. Im coming from riding quite a few years on an R6 and I have a couple lessons on track. I have yet to adjust my suspension much. But there sag was set up for me at the shop, although qucikly. Is there anything else I can do to correct this? Any suspension adjustments? Is the larger windcreen a factor? Im really not sure this is a sacrifice I can make with this bike. 

If anyone has any experience with this, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nice to meet yall!

Andy

Yup, the light front end is a known issue on that model (FJ 09 in States).

Some folks drop the forks 10mm. Not sure that works since it further reduces trail.

Steering damper?

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jailcopper said:

Im a fairly spirited rider and when I start approaching 150km/h under accerlation the front end starts to really wobble. I mean its basically unmanageable and I have to ease of the throttle. Ive attempted it multiple times with the same result. It seems it only happends under accerlation though. If I cruise at 150km/h there is no wobble, however it does feels extra vibey. I honestl dont believe it is my riding technique.

There are some theories about aerodynamics (screen and handguards) and light front end (suspension and steering geometry).  I also have a '15 model and have never experienced a steering wobble though many members here have.  I don't use the stock handguards or a large wind screen and also have more weight bias on the front end, aftermarket shock with slightly lengthened ride height and the forks raised in the triple clamps.- raised rear, lower front.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Proper suspension sag/set up and with new Michelin Pilot Road 4's........now my front end is stable at any speed. You could have loose or bad steering stem bearings, but do suspension first and tires next.

Edited by Ride365

Check the balance on your tires, easy if you have a static balancer. 

As a tire wears, looses rubber, can become out of balance. One of the reasons new / balanced tires feel so smooth.  Does the front tire look like it is near end of life?

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Welcome!  The FJ09 is a great bike.  I have a 2020 Tracer 900 GT and have experienced no wobble or weave at any speed.  I've dropped the front 7mm and got rid of the horrid (IMO) OEM tires.  Like others have said it seems like a tire and geometry issue.  I've run Michelin Road 5 rears and Road 5 and Pilot Power 5s on the front.  Have a set of Road 6s to go on next.  I go thru a lot of tires as make 5,500 to 6,500 mile trips a couple of times a year and tires last 9,000 to 10,000 miles so always leave with new tires and give a lot of good rear away.  

No expert on the history of the FJ09/Tracer but know they lengthened the swingarm for the 2019 model which also helps.  In late summer of 2020 had been looking at Tracer 900 GT's and was going to trade when I got back from the trip in September.  Well bike broke at the end of the 2nd day out and wound up fixing it and then rode up to Sioux Falls SD and trading it for a new Tracer 900 GT.  Trip was toast but by the time I got back home had 2,400 miles not eh Tracer.  For me the stock windscreen had a lot of buffeting that would hit me on the shoulders.  It seemed to oscillate from left to right almost like some was patting on then the other rapidly.  No issues with wobble though.  I have wondered if it might be something to do with aerodynamics couple with tires and a light front end.  

I've had a 2012 CBR600RR and a Kawasaki ZX6R 363 and loved them but they are not as good for trips.  The Tracer engine is marvelous and pulls very nicely.  Really like the ZX6Rs power but it was more up top.  CBR was fast but needed to be kept spooled up.  

I have a '15 model and don't have the wobbles. My suspension is stock, but I have taken off the handguards and use a taller windscreen. I don't often get into triple digits MPH, but the times I have, I've never had a wobble. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

Like @maximo and others, I, too, have a '15 FJ-09, mostly stock except the touring windscreen - no wobbles in the triple digits (so far).  And that has been with touring bags (not city bags).  Michelin Road 5's.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Welcome. Not wanting to sound like a negative Nancy, but thought I'd say it: keep it legal on public roads. On the track, tear it up and go for it. No need for triple digits anywhere on public roads, and admitting it openly can actually get you in legal trouble in some places.

Double-check tire air pressures, balancing, and wear. My 2016 on original (ie, 6+ year-old) Dunlops has no wiggle or wobble of any kind. It only has 5800 miles, and when the time comes for new tires, I'm sure it will run even smoother than it already does.

Keep it rubber-side down.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

In my own defence, I've done it twice - both times on 6 lane freeways with no vehicles around.  It doesn't take long to get up there, I'll say that.  Absolutely no wobble at all, tracked straight as an arrow.  I'd LOVE a track day.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount