what is the gronk?

my 2017 has a grinding type noise that sounds like it comes from the left side of the engine at part throttle around 2-4k rpms depending on engine load. it doesnt sound like any noise a chain would make, its hard to describe the noise. if your easy on the throttle, it doesnt do it, but apply just a bit more throttle and you can hear it, but apply full throttle and its gone. its driving me nuts not knowing what the heck is causing it! could this be the gronk i have heard about from the clutch basket at only 4k miles? anyone else experienced this?

12 minutes ago, kilo3 said:

My gronk showed up around 4-5k miles on my 2020, taking care of mine this next winter.

is it as simple as replacing the rubber dampers in the clutch? what causes this noise?

38 minutes ago, trevinator said:

my 2017 has a grinding type noise that sounds like it comes from the left side of the engine at part throttle around 2-4k rpms depending on engine load...

I switched to an undamped 17 front sprocket on my 2016 FJ and really amplified the noise you describe.  But it also was noticeable with the OEM damped sprocket.

Here is my theory...

The noise emanates from front sprocket / chain interaction.

Under full load, either from engine breaking or acceleration, the noise is minimized because the chain is held tight against the sprocket.

Under a partial load, such as running along a flat section of road, the chain rattles against the front sprocket causing the noise.  Cut or advance the throttle and the noise is reduced.

Yamaha specs ridiculously tight 5mm chain slack for the FJ.  Nobody runs that here and instead uses 35-45mm of slack.

I wonder if the Yami spec is an effort to minimize this annoying rattle.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

10 hours ago, nhchris said:

The noise emanates from front sprocket / chain interaction.

So, with that in mind would a good quality after market chain and sprocket set fix the gronk

My Tracer with 26k miles had this problem, I replaced the clutch basket and it's like having a new bike! If you can identify the problem as definitely being the Clutch basket and you are keeping the bike for a while I'd recommend the OEM item, expensive but once it's done you'll be very happy.