Flickering dash and lights, rough idle, stalled bike

Hi all,

RE: 2019 Tracer GT

So a few days ago, it felt like the bike was idling a little rough. Then at a steady speed, I thought I felt the bike surge a little bit at times. I just chalked it up to crazy things you sometimes think you are hearing or feeling from your bike.

Then yesterday, on my way to work the dashboard began to flicker intermittently. It got a lot loss worse on the way home. At this time I also noticed the lights would flicker at the same time. Then at two stops, the bike started really fluctuating in idle and stalled twice. But again, it's intermittent, and most of the time would run and idle as expected.

By the time I made it home, the check engine light came on.

This is super disappointing as the bike has under 6,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new in 2018. 😞

Any suggestions where to start? I'm pretty marginally inclined mechanically, and even less so electrically.

Sometimes, with electrical gremlins, tracking them down is the most difficult part, and the repair is something easy.  There is a diagnostic port under the passenger seat that your dealership should be able to plug into and download any fault codes stored in the ECU.  That might be a good place to start.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Agreed that an OBD code scanner could be very helpful here.  But if I had to guess, that sounds like an intermittent electrical ground problem to me.   Check the battery terminals for tightness, then chase the black ground terminal wiring as far as you can and check that it’s tight at the frame and/or engine ends.    

• Thumbsup 8

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

But if I had to guess, that sounds like an intermittent electrical ground problem to me.   Check the battery terminals for tightness, then chase the black ground terminal wiring as far as you can and check that it’s tight at the frame and/or engine ends.    

👆 This. It sounds exactly like a loose ground.

My XR1200 used to do the exactly the same thing. Especially after I put in urethane motor and swingarm mounts.

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Thanks for the great comments everyone. I'll check the battery tomorrow with my neighbors multi-meter, check over connections, terminals, so forth, and report back.

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1

It sounds like a loose ground indeed. I think I read about a case like this where it was the key not making proper contact. You could try moving it a little to see if you can trigger the behaviour or remedy it when it's happening. 

• Thumbsup 1

Hey, has anyone mentioned loose battery terminals or connections yet? :P

That's the first thing that entered my head as well. I don't quite know why motorcycle batteries in particular are so damn prone to this, but it's a thing I've seen and fixed many times, and your symptoms match.

• Thumbsup 3

10 minutes ago, bwringer said:

Hey, has anyone mentioned loose battery terminals or connections yet? :P

That's the first thing that entered my head as well. I don't quite know why motorcycle batteries in particular are so damn prone to this, but it's a thing I've seen and fixed many times, and your symptoms match.

This is a good point. My old FZ1 had this issue and the battery terminal had just barely broken off and it working was dependent on If i was sitting on the seat just right to put pressure on the terminal.

• Thumbsup 1

Agreed. That was VERY cool of that dealer. Many would take the short-term profit rather than the opportunity to generate much more valuable goodwill for a good customer.

It's really too bad owners don't have a way of doing these CEL resets, or they don't reset themselves after the problem is solved.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, bwringer said:

Agreed. That was VERY cool of that dealer. Many would take the short-term profit rather than the opportunity to generate much more valuable goodwill for a good customer.

It's really too bad owners don't have a way of doing these CEL resets, or they don't reset themselves after the problem is solved.

I was watching this youtube video and the gentleman used a $35 scanner and harness adapter to reset the codes on his MT09. If I ever get another check engine light I might try this next time. Plus you could reuse the scanner for your other bikes, snowmobiles, cars, etc..

• Thumbsup 3