• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Alternative Transportation for the "New Normal"

jthayer09

19 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Now you’re thinking of the opportunity costs of non-essential riding.   Those economics almost never work out well, so my advice is to stop thinking rationally about our irrational passion.  😀  

Can't help it, I ride for my mental health......what's going and no question only going to get worse, is even starting to affect my irrational passion.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

My commute time has been greatly reduced (2d a week), and my wife cycles/walks to school (teacher). My daughters however... freshly licensed and on part-time income, are the ones who bring up the cost of fuel at the dinner table. Mom and Dad not filling up that often anymore 😁. Bicycles are growing on them. My motorcycle habits haven't suffered. I now use the time that I would have spent commuting to go for a quick ride instead. Flex office schedule lets me stay clear of rush hour traffic.

• Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
On 6/13/2022 at 5:37 AM, Wintersdark said:

No change for bikes for me.  So a day trip costs me $10 more in gas, I don't care.

I do know though when I replace my current old Jeep Liberty, fuel economy will be a major concern.  That thing is a pig.

LOL... same here. Bike expenses not on radar, but the Forester is starting to look like a target. I have been stitching it together for some years now, as we can't really justify a new vehicle right now. When it's time though... I will be after good fuel economy.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
On 6/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, piotrek said:

LOL... same here. Bike expenses not on radar, but the Forester is starting to look like a target. I have been stitching it together for some years now, as we can't really justify a new vehicle right now. When it's time though... I will be after good fuel economy.

We filled up our 21 Forester yesterday, $85 @ $5.74 E10 @ 20+ mpg = 300 miles 

06 Mazda 3 $55 E10 23 mpg

Note: Stated mileage is around town urban driving. The Forester does significantly better on the highway.   The Mazda 3 not so much being a 1st gen without SkyActive and because I drive it at supre-legal speeds.

33 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

We filled up our 21 Forester yesterday, $85 @ $5.74 E10 @ 20+ mpg = 300 miles 

06 Mazda 3 $55 E10 23 mpg

20 gallons into my Jeep Liberty = 90 liters @ $1.91/l regular = $171.90 and also only gets around 300m / 500km per tank.  Gross. Like a year ago $80 would fill it.

I rode 250 miles Saturday and spent $35 in gas, just 2 years ago that would've been half that. Still nothing quite like riding that calms my mind and soothes my soul, I really do love this motorcycle and is bar none my favorite so far. :)

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I helped a friend this weekend with an MSF class, and they had a fleet of mostly TU250 Suzukis.   I knew nothing about them previously, but they were actually much nicer than I would have expected…  conventional bike, upright riding position, decent fit & finish, apparently very durable (MSF student bikes lead a very hard life).  If I was looking for cheap transportation, that wouldn’t be a bad choice.  

Sheesh, you guys going on about $5+ gas are making me envious. Today I filled up my sedan and paid $7.09 a gallon. 

I'm on a riding slump as of late. I took a new job and it is impractical to commute on the bike any more. This job requires long days and more often than not weekend work as well. So no commuting on the bike, and very little time on the weekends after the honey-dos are done, means that I put on a grand total of 7k miles on all my 3 bikes combined. Ouch. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I've posted this elsewhere already, but I've been commuting and running small errands around town on a Suzuki GZ250 this summer. It gets about 70-75 mpg. I like all bikes and this one is kind of fun to ride. You just can't be in a hurry (that's part of the charm) as there is no difference between half throttle and full throttle.

20220507_143823_resized.thumb.jpg.dfbbeaa775a7745a2c11634531aab4cf.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 5

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
8 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Honest review of the Energica Eva Ribelle RS...

If I had stayed in Los Angeles, I probably would have bought an electric motorcycle as a daily driver years ago and then used one of the rental services for my 2x annual trips.  There were 2 or 3 options besides Eagle Rider (including the local BMW combined car/moto dealer for a few years).  I rented a K1300GT for a 500 mile day ride once.  A buddy rented a Kawi Concours 1400 for a round trip coast to coast ride.  The rental company even paid for tires during his ride.

• Thumbsup 2