Why the Snatchy Throttle

• Supporting Member

This video explains it pretty well (go to 3:27 if you don't wish to watch it all). My question is what do you loose if anything after having the ECU flashed?  Does the 'flasher' add more data points/conditions on the map?

Like all Googled answers, it's not an accurate story.

A lot has to do with new pollution and efficiency laws, the bikes run very lean at certain conditions, and this makes for a very snatchy throttle.

Flashing ignores what is legally required, and tunes for performance instead.

Not necessarily more power, but better throttle control (power usually comes with it) as well as other benefits.

One huge benefit on the Tracer is removing the fuel cut off on closed throttle which is absolute crap and affects the most at low speeds and cornering.

There are others as well depending on what flash you use.

• Thumbsup 1

The biggest benefit of the ECU reflash for me (with a stock exhaust) is I changed my mind about selling the bike.

Seriously, I couldn't stand riding it back to back with my other bikes.  Some of them were flashed with aftermarket systems and some were stock.  All were enjoyable to ride, the FJ was not.

Now the FJ is my go to bike on most days.  

Edited by oregonian
  • Thumbsup 4

A good ECU flash will do several things. The most important items are elimination of the fuel cut off, reprogramming the fuel maps and modifying the ignition timing.  No new data points are added, but rather the existing data tables are modified in order to achieve the desired results.  Basically, this means tuning the bike through the ECU in the manner the manufacturer might do if they were not hampered by restrictions set on emissions.

Some tuners will go further.  For instance, Ivans Performance also removed the restrictions on the cruise control on the first generation Tracer so that it can be used in all gears at all speeds, which is a nice, added benefit.  

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member

Not sure if any areas test bikes, but has anyone ever had a problem with a bike not passing emissions testing after a flash? 

19 minutes ago, KellyL said:

I do wonder sometimes why some riders of new bikes consider the stock maps ‘unrideable’, when in my experience they are all pretty good compared to what we used to have 15-20 years ago.

You nailed it, "in your experience". It's all subjective, just like women, food, and voting.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

I got this flash and love it. I have a 2015 FJ-09. 

It even got rid of 75% of the vibration in my handle bars at highway speeds. I stated that I had a Competition Werkes Slip-on and they tuned it for that. It starts my bike in A mode. It almost totally transformed my bike. So much more fun to ride. 

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fz09.htm

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

I got this flash and love it. I have a 2015 FJ-09. 

It even got rid of 75% of the vibration in my handle bars at highway speeds. I stated that I had a Competition Werkes Slip-on and they tuned it for that. It starts my bike in A mode. It almost totally transformed my bike. So much more fun to ride. 

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fz09.htm

Ivan's work is as good as it gets.  I have two bikes, both with ECU's flashed by Ivan.  What he was able to do with the first generation Ninja 1000 is incredible and the reason why I did not sell mine when I bought the Tracer GT.

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 1 year later...

I'm still on the fence about flashing mine. I have done some kart racing in the past. One thing that gets you around the track faster is how you finesse the throttle and the brakes. I am applying this to this bike. So far it has worked very well in most instances.

Being hyper aware of how you ride doesn't change the fuel mapping, good many reasons why so many have gotten their ECU flashed. I went with a Boosterplug over a re-flash for now, it for sure lessened many of the reported issues. Idles better, any herky jerky at low revs is almost gone, and much more smooth throttle response. Have a local guy with a shop and dyno that does custom ECU maps, that many be in my future eventually, in particular with my full system race exhaust.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

You need an ECU flash, I have used https://2wheeldynoworks.com/ twice. Once for my FJ09 and again for my Tracer 900 GT. They are based in Kirkland Washington, just outside Seattle. You can remove and send your ECU to them and they can do it remotely, or if you have someone near you that has the know-how and you trust them, you can have them do it locally.

It isn't hard for them to do a flash, but you want to make sure they know what they are changing, and have the expertise to improve your bike's performance. 

Good Luck! When you get it done, you will have a very big smile on your face as you ride for the first time. (and every time after that too.......)