Coolant puking out of overflow tube

2linby

Thanks for the report!

Just looked it up, and despite Yamaha's otherwise mostly reasonable parts prices, that little cap is $35 through my usual source. Yikes!

Worth it to solve this, though!

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

Great news.  I recently had similar issues. Ordered a cap and should be in this week, fingers crossed.  Mine's a 2015...so I'm hoping outcome will be same.

Edit: my dealership quoted 56$ CDN...yikes in deed.

Edited by Ccewbj
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Gotta be a Car alternative available?

I won't need a flush for another year or rason to pull the right plastic off but when I do it I'll look for one.

I would think so, but I don't have the time to research. 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, Ccewbj said:

Great news.  I recently had similar issues. Ordered a cap and should be in this week, fingers crossed.  Mine's a 2015...so I'm hoping outcome will be same.

Edit: my dealership quoted 56$ CDN...yikes in deed.

Update:  Topped up rad and installed new cap.  While idling, it started to spit coolant out at 60C and continued to do so intermittently (presumably due to pressure building up).  It would also spit out when blipping the throttle. I let it run for a while in driveway and got up to 100C.  All hoses were hot, I assume it is flowing.

I dropped the oil and it was dark (~2000 km) but still transparent, not milky.  Ideals?

I'll try to rent a pressure tester to rule out a combustion chamber leak.

If you were bleeding engine compression into the coolant there would be air bubbles in the reservoir.

Thermostat is my next thought.  Although there have been zero problems on here with almost anything related to cooling, gaskets, etc.

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Ccewbj said:

Update:  Topped up rad and installed new cap.  While idling, it started to spit coolant out at 60C and continued to do so intermittently (presumably due to pressure building up).  It would also spit out when blipping the throttle. I let it run for a while in driveway and got up to 100C.  All hoses were hot, I assume it is flowing.

I dropped the oil and it was dark (~2000 km) but still transparent, not milky.  Ideals?

I'll try to rent a pressure tester to rule out a combustion chamber leak.

Silly question, but did you tighten the cap enough? For example, 1st “click” is actually a detent ( for lack of a better word) and is not the actual stopping point of the cap being fully on. 

secondly, did you top up the level of the rad while on the sidestand? Was the engine running? I find it best to start the engine, and then see if the level drops in the rad. If it doesn’t, let it idle for 30-60 seconds, then gently blip the throttle several times (not WOT), just a blip to get the coolant circulating. If the level doesn’t change, shut the bike off - then Wait 15-30 seconds to see if it settles down a bit. Top it off, then Fully screw on the cap, fire it up and run until the fan comes on. 

if the above doesn’t settle things up, what other work have you performed on the bike before this issue happened?

Are the hoses running to and from the overflow bottle free and not kinked or melted from the exhaust? Is the zip tie too tight where it secures one of those lines to a rad hose? Is your radiator blocked? Do you have some off brand crappy radiator guard installed that is prohibiting airflow through the radiator?

-Skip

• Thumbsup 3

14 hours ago, skipperT said:

Silly question, but did you tighten the cap enough? For example, 1st “click” is actually a detent ( for lack of a better word) and is not the actual stopping point of the cap being fully on. 

secondly, did you top up the level of the rad while on the sidestand? Was the engine running? I find it best to start the engine, and then see if the level drops in the rad. If it doesn’t, let it idle for 30-60 seconds, then gently blip the throttle several times (not WOT), just a blip to get the coolant circulating. If the level doesn’t change, shut the bike off - then Wait 15-30 seconds to see if it settles down a bit. Top it off, then Fully screw on the cap, fire it up and run until the fan comes on. 

if the above doesn’t settle things up, what other work have you performed on the bike before this issue happened?

Are the hoses running to and from the overflow bottle free and not kinked or melted from the exhaust? Is the zip tie too tight where it secures one of those lines to a rad hose? Is your radiator blocked? Do you have some off brand crappy radiator guard installed that is prohibiting airflow through the radiator?

-Skip

Thank you Skip.  I'm pretty sure it is closed, but will double check.  I believe you cannot install the cap securing bracket and 8 mm screw if the cap is not fully closed.  But I will check again.  I bought it with 27k km and as usual when i buy a used bike, i change the fluids to start fresh, and the brake fluid really needed it.  But coolant was pretty clear when i dumped it. I followed the manual instructions and after a ride or two checked the level with bike upright and it was fine, so continued to ride normally.  Put about 2k km from purchase and only noticed the overflow dripping after a couple of the latest rides at end of season....but maybe i just did not take note previously.  I'm thinking and hoping it's just an air pocket and i simply did not burp it properly the first time.  I'll check the items you've listed and attempt to re-burp.  Getting cold here for any rides though...winter tire law about to take effect.  Also, no codes or overheating, and no aftermarket rad cover, but was thinking of it as i noticed some rock impacts; so restricting air flow should be avoided; got it.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I suggest getting a radiator vacuum Coolant evacuator / refiller like the below accu lift unit that I have. there are cheaper versions out there but if you want the best and all solid brass the accu lift you will last your lifetime and then your children's.

I've posted about this before and it's the easiest fastest cleanest way to ensure properly flushed, filled and evacuated cooling system.

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000-Airlift-Cooling-Checker/dp/B0002SRH5G/ref=asc_df_B0002SRH5G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312174136943&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=780941702144557773&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016851&hvtargid=pla-435688359104&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=63790029762&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312174136943&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=780941702144557773&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016851&hvtargid=pla-435688359104

• Thumbsup 1

• 8 months later...

Wondering if this was ever resolved? Had something very similar happen to me yesterday. 

2015 FJ-09. about 22000km. I keep up with the maintenance meticulously. Can’t afford not to! Coolant changed every 2nd year, this past winter being the last change.

On my annual week long trip with the boys this past week. Several long days of 5-600 km. Bike was flawless, as it always has been. Yesterday we said our farewells and I headed home, about a 700km jaunt. No issue’s (except for rain that pounded me for 5 hrs, but that’s another tale….) Decided to make one final fuel stop in the USA before coming home. Stopped at the pump and heard a gurgling sound and saw coolant flowing from the overfill. (Not tonnes, a few oz I would guess) I had never seen or heard this before. Checked the reservoir and the level was roughly half way between full and low. What the heck?

Bike was not overheating and running about 70C all day. Ran it home, about an hour, and was AOK and did not repeat once I arrived home. 

Left the reservoir as is, half way between full and low. Checked the rad. It was a little low. Filled, ran until the fan came on, and the symptom happened again. Some coolant from overflow and gurgling in the reservoir when ignition turned off. What the heck? Let it cool and it was a little low in the rad again. Filled and ran and then was fine, no symptoms. 

Went over the bike as well as I can without dismantling everything. No leaks found. Hoses and rad seem like everything is flowing as it should.

Guess I am just confused, which doesn’t take a lot, so curious if the OP’s gremlins has ever been found. Will probably order a new cap to start. 

Open to any and all feedback.

Thanks! 

31 minutes ago, getpetey said:

Wondering if this was ever resolved? Had something very similar happen to me yesterday. 

Open to any and all feedback.

Thanks! 

Yes resolved. Replace your radiator cap. Fixed my issue.

31 minutes ago, getpetey said:

• Thanks 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy