Start problem after a ferry

Just took my 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT on a longer trip which had a ferry leg. First time taking a ferry with the bike and I wanted to ensure the bike was stable for the trip, so I put it on the center stand for the duration.

The trip was about 90 minutes over calm water (Long Island Sound, from New London to Orient Point). When I went to start the bike after taking it off the center stand it would not start, just cranking. Nt sure what a ferry trip do, but I tried turning it off and on a few times with no luck. Rocked it back and forth then tried again and it did finally start.

Anyone have an idea why a bike on a center stand would have starting issues after a ferry ride?

I doubt that it has anything to do with the ferry. Mine had that same issue after filling up at a gas station. Would not re-start after I filled up. Went through the same steps as you did and finally got it to start. Not 100% sure what happened but it could be related to the sidestand switch ... I believe I flicked the sidestand a couple of times but not sure.

If you are like me the sidestand was out when the bike was on the centrestand. Maybe it is the sidestand switch ... ??

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Will the motor turn over with the side stand down and trans in gear?  Mine doesn't.  Must be in neutral for the bike to crank if side stand is down.  This argues against the side stand switch.

Weird problem for sure.

• Premium Member

Vacuum on fuel tank?

Cracked wiring insulation and damp air? Did the temp/humidity change during the trip?

Beginning of the end of the battery? Maybe you left an accessory on? Enough juice to turn over but not start?

Did you give it throttle when you cranked it? If I get off the starter too quick, it does NOT want to start a 2nd time until I give it lots of throttle. This is a known issue with the 15-17.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:42 AM, eknovack said:

Just took my 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT on a longer trip which had a ferry leg. First time taking a ferry with the bike and I wanted to ensure the bike was stable for the trip, so I put it on the center stand for the duration.

The trip was about 90 minutes over calm water (Long Island Sound, from New London to Orient Point). When I went to start the bike after taking it off the center stand it would not start, just cranking. Nt sure what a ferry trip do, but I tried turning it off and on a few times with no luck. Rocked it back and forth then tried again and it did finally start.

Anyone have an idea why a bike on a center stand would have starting issues after a ferry ride?

The ferry didn't do it!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1