Bent Wheel Repair Options?

jthayer09

• Supporting Member

I can't seem to catch a break, but can catch plenty of road debris 😄

Can something like this be repaired by a shop or would I be better off just buying a new one from dealer?

IMG_20220618_114505.thumb.jpg.cdcdb37c3cf508b8ab6ab30b661ffc37.jpg

Anyone have experience with something like this? If cost is close for repair vs. new may as well just buy new.

Cheers,

• Supporting Member
26 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

What did you hit? I can't advise on repair but if you have to go new, buy online. No need to pay dealer markup.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2021/tracer-9-gt-mtt9gtms-bap51/front-wheel

Thanks!

Not exactly sure but it looked like a section of midpipe. Car in front of me didn't even swerve to avoid it so maybe I was riding too close but I didn't have much of a heads-up to avoid.

Also ships in 57-62 days oof.

• Sad 2

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

So much for thenew spin forged wheels being stronger

I was going to mention that exact same thing.  Supposedly with this new process, the rim material is substantially thinner than the previous version.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

It'd be worth calling around and talking to some rim shops.  They can do some amazing things.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

4 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

I can't seem to catch a break, but can catch plenty of road debris 😄

Can something like this be repaired by a shop or would I be better off just buying a new one from dealer?

IMG_20220618_114505.thumb.jpg.cdcdb37c3cf508b8ab6ab30b661ffc37.jpg

Anyone have experience with something like this? If cost is close for repair vs. new may as well just buy new.

I bent the front rim on my R2100RT about like your rim. I laid the wheel on some boards beng side up, covered the bend with rafs, and whacked away with a heavy wooden mallet. Eventually the bend disappeared. Nocracks were visible using a magnifying glass. 

A nearby tire shop wheel lacer said he fixed many a bent rim this way. I watched him work on one. Worked for me. Your blue rim may be different though.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I bent the front rim on my R2100RT about like your rim. I laid the wheel on some boards beng side up, covered the bend with rafs, and whacked away with a heavy wooden mallet. Eventually the bend disappeared. Nocracks were visible using a magnifying glass. 

A nearby tire shop wheel lacer said he fixed many a bent rim this way. I watched him work on one. Worked for me. Your blue rim may be different though.

I've done the same thing a few times a dead blow hammer and and leather sandbags sandbags work well

http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/services/motorcycle-wheel-and-rim-repair/

• Thumbsup 3

I bent a front wheel on a CBR1100XX by hitting a car in a low speed impact that was more of a tipover than a collision.  The bend in the wheel looked a lot like the OP photo.  There was a bit of discussion about repairing the bent area, but I replaced the wheel with an oem.  Didn't want to take an unnecessary chance.

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've done the same thing a few times a dead blow hammer and and leather sandbags sandbags work well

http://www.thewheelwarehouse.com/services/motorcycle-wheel-and-rim-repair/

Hmm these guys are 2-hours away from me and they look pretty legit, thanks for the recommendation.

I may also give the dead blow hammer a shot since a few of you have done it successfully.

• Supporting Member

UPDATE: $380 was the quote from The Wheel Warehouse which is too much for me when japan.webike.net will ship an OEM one for roughly $360 depending on what day you get the shipping quote in 1-3 days.

I tried hammering the rim with a dead blow while the wheel was still on the bike and tire pressure at 0.0 psi and got pretty good results:

image.thumb.jpeg.ec075e9a231cf9840e5b5fb1e574dc16.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5e4f2c30153c1634a67b6d823127c250.jpeg

Slightly smaller area than before and less distance from the tire, I may take the wheel off the bike and remove the left rotor off so I can get a more direct striking line for that last little bit of bend. When I had just gotten the dent I had serious handlebar wobble from 20-50 MPH on the ride home, now it's almost all gone except for a hardly noticeable shake right at 30 MPH. If it holds air I think I may be in the clear 🤞.

P.S. have at the chicken strips 😅

My whack-a-rim came out virtually invisible, but it wasn't blue. Wheel was off the bike laying flat, deflated. You don't want to hit the rim but rather whatever you cover the rim with. I had no vibration over 15000 miles, so the bendcwas cosmetic. I just didn't like the look.

• Thumbsup 1

There are a couple of very good wheel shops out there.  Sorry I can't remember the names of them but they are.  They do car and motorcycle rims.  I would be concerned about just hammering it back into place, not sure how brittle it might become of stresses that could lead to cracks or breaking.

• Supporting Member

Instead of taking the tire off and such, what if you used a piece of 2x4 or something - line that up against the rim and smack it with a hammer.  The wood should be soft enough that it won't mar.  You're very close!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount