Bad handlebar/engine vibration

I know this has been a subject talked about before but when on the freeway @75ish+, I get really bad handlebar and engine vibration. I did add bar end weights and rubber footpegs, which helped for speeds below this. My mirrors are completely unusable they are vibrating so much (it actually makes my eyes and head hurt). I tested the vibrations on different parts of the handlebars and it was very noticeable at each test spot. The rubber foot pegs have tons of virbrations too. I'm nearing my 4k service but I'm just not sure if there's an issue or if this is normal and will smooth out over time.

Based on the post I linked, some have stated it smoothed out over time. Some changed oil brands and new chains helped. This was in the 5000-5500 RPM range, which I think aligns with some of the posts.

Not sure if I should do the BB's in the handlebar trick, get it checked out, wait it out, replace with heavier front springs, etc..I did have the TBS checked on first service but with how that went, I don't trust the dealer to be truthful about it. So maybe having those checked during the 4k will shed some light.

Any insight appreciated.

Edited by jamespz03

Shouldn’t have such objectionable vibes on this bike. My 21GT is very smooth all over. Yes there is some vibration. But it is actually much less vibration than I would have found tolerable. I mean, it’s a three banger. It must be balanced very well.
there almost surely is something out of whack on your bike. Could be a broken motor mount. Could be a lot of things. But vibration is not, IMO, something to be complained about on a properly functioning Tracer. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

It's not going to get better with time unfortunately. I would suspect the chain is the problem at least it was on 19 900GT, check for kinked links and make sure the chain is adjusted correctly.  

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

+1 on the TB sync.  My bike is not electric smooth but is not viby at all.  No problem with the mirrors.  In addition to the engine would be looking at things like tires, wheels and bearings.  If while running at say 77MPH and you pull in clutch and coast do the vibrations change?  Tires and road surfaces do make a difference but from your description sounds like much more than a road surface.

My ZX6R sport bike would vibrate a little at speed but it was higher frequency, BMW F800GT vibrated more and a phone mounted on the bars shook visible.  My 2020 F800GT has been quite smooth.

• Thumbsup 1

OP never commented on the state of balance of his wheels, especially the front. That is the first thing to check and can have the biggest impact on this vibration he says he's having.

I just finished  2000+ road trip where most of it was on super slab at 75+ mph on varying types of road surface, and there was no strange vibrations. This bike now has just over 10k miles and on the orginal parts mentioned in the posts above and never had a throttle body sync done. The front tire was changed to get rid of the stupid handlebar wobble and at that time it was properly balanced.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Agreed: more data, please.

There's variation, but but vibration should not be objectionable. I recently rode a friend's 2020, and was surprised to find that it did indeed feel a little different vibration-wise than my 2015, and definitely had more vibes. I have another buddy with a 2015, but I haven't taken his for a spin yet to see if it feels different.

Some variation between examples is pretty normal, but it should not be disturbing. Maybe there's someone local you could meet up with for a quick swap to see what you think.

Try it in fifth and fourth and third gear to see if the vibes track with engine speed or road speed.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Something else to perhaps consider - when was the last time you had the throttle bodies synced?

First service and I plan to have them checked during the next planned service at 4K. Thank you.

14 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

If while running at say 77MPH and you pull in clutch and coast do the vibrations change?  Tires and road surfaces do make a difference but from your description sounds like much more than a road surface.

I will try that next time I ride. I noticed before on this same stretch of freeway so this was my confirmation ride and I did a huge loop of 4-5 freeways. All roads seem rough at times, even silky smooth roads (there's always some type of handlebar vibration. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

OP never commented on the state of balance of his wheels, especially the front. That is the first thing to check and can have the biggest impact on this vibration he says he's having.

I had the tires changed in the last 6 months to get rid of the handlebar wobble as well. I can only assume it was balanced correctly. Thank you.

16 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

It's not going to get better with time unfortunately. I would suspect the chain is the problem at least it was on 19 900GT, check for kinked links and make sure the chain is adjusted correctly.  

I will inspect the chain. Thank you.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, jamespz03 said:

I had the tires changed in the last 6 months to get rid of the handlebar wobble as well. I can only assume it was balanced correctly. Thank you.

You may wish to check this out: 

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS