High beam switch

Hello everybody,

have a question about high beam switch, I bought additional remote for opening my garage doors, basically this is a cube with two wires (+) and (-). It needs a signal from power source to send signal to the doors. 

I was wondering would it be possible to connect this remote to high beam switch in a way that when I press on pass switch remote will send signal to doors.

Did anybody try to control any device with high beam switch?

1 hour ago, marcincz said:

Hello everybody,

have a question about high beam switch, I bought additional remote for opening my garage doors, basically this is a cube with two wires (+) and (-). It needs a signal from power source to send signal to the doors. 

I was wondering would it be possible to connect this remote to high beam switch in a way that when I press on pass switch remote will send signal to doors.

Did anybody try to control any device with high beam switch?

I wouldn’t recommend it. 
the Hi beam switch sends a signal to the ECM to provide a ground to the headlamp control unit - which switches the beam on or off. 
others have wired into the headlight circuit and blown this driver in the ECM, requiring a replacement. 

use a separate switch. Or install a factory switch from another bike with an un-used portion (ie you don’t have cruise, and you install a switch with cruise control). 

-Skip

Hi.  Seems like a good idea, but one that could create electronic havoc if undertaken without a fair amount of knowledge of the bike's system.

I opted for a simpler solution.image.jpeg.3f6cb8cfb594bb5b821eb7183e979a38.jpeg

It isn't pretty, but velcro allows me to remove the opener when I need to for security's sake, such as when I park the bike outside the house for any length of time.  I've ridden beyond 100 mph several times, and the opener stays put.  Simple.  Cheap.  No interference with the bike's electricals.  

Don’t hardly need a horn in any case. Maybe remove the horn and wire your opener device with that 12v that drives the horn. Let me know how that works out if you go thataway. I might do it myself. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, KrustyKush said:

Hi.  Seems like a good idea, but one that could create electronic havoc if undertaken without a fair amount of knowledge of the bike's system.

I opted for a simpler solution.image.jpeg.3f6cb8cfb594bb5b821eb7183e979a38.jpeg

It isn't pretty, but velcro allows me to remove the opener when I need to for security's sake, such as when I park the bike outside the house for any length of time.  I've ridden beyond 100 mph several times, and the opener stays put.  Simple.  Cheap.  No interference with the bike's electricals.  

I use the same remote on my bike, but I use the clip on the underside of the remote, and attach it to the cables coming off the right side of the bike handlebar. This puts the remote behind my wind screen, so it is less likely to be impacted by wind, and makes it easy to press and open or close the garage door.

• Supporting Member

Have a look at this post for a flash-to-open solution.

I installed my Chamberlain remote powered permanently with 12V and a separate push button (post here). Pick your trigger + a relay to close the contact instead of using the PB.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

A fun option is a meross garage door opener module: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Door-Opener-Remote/dp/B086MKBC63?th=1

This wires in in addition to your normal openers and such, and turns a regular garage door opener into a smart garage door opener.  It'll allow you to ask your phone things like "Is my garage door open?" or "Close the garage door."

It comes with an app, but also ties into google/alexa.  So if you're a "phone on the handlebars" sort, or a "bluetooth headset in helmet" sort... "Hey, Google, open my garage door" or tap a button on your home screen. 

Given these can be had from $20-30.  The more expensive ones have better wifi antennas, and are good if your wifi coverage in your garage is weak.  You need a PIN to open your garage door by voice, too, as an added layer of security. 

Edit: These are also sold as "refoss" brand, which is technically the one I have.  They have exactly the same internals, use the same apps, etc. 

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1