Chain Adjustment

Looked through some old posts on chain adjustment but couldn't find an answer to my particular question, hence why I'm starting a new post on this common subject. 

The manual states that to adjust the chain tension the axel and adjuster nuts should be loosened whilst the bike is on the side stand. Then raise the bike onto the centre stand, adjust and align aiming for a slack between 35mm to 45mm, then place the bike down onto the side stand and tighten the axel and adjusters. Why would you need to loosen and tighten on the side stand and adjust on the centre stand? I've always loosened, adjusted and finally tightened all on the centre stand, then off onto the side stand for a final check. Your thoughts and practices will be appreciated please.

Thanks, Michael......

Hey there, just a guess, but they probably just want you to knock the torque off the axle nut while both wheels are on the ground. Once you raise the bike onto the center stand it raises the rear wheel off the ground and wrenching on the axle nut could destabilize the bike making it go boom.

priebe is right. The axle nut is torqued to 111 ft lbs, you'll want the wheels on the ground and if you're using a breaker bar or torque wrench push toward the ground, otherwise you'll lift the rear of the bike and/or compress the suspension.

Also, the book torque spec is NUTSO. It's WAY too high and WILL strip the threads.

We hashed this out a while back in another discussion or three around here somewhere and came up with a reasonable spec, but for the love of all that is good and holy, do NOT crank that nut down to 110 foot-pounds.

EDIT: The consensus seems to be that about 70-80 foot-pounds is more than enough, and is what some other brands with the same size axle use. I use my educated elbow...

Yamaha has a weird penchant for insanely high torque specs, (not to mention the super-bad and wrong spec for very little chain slack) so use your brains out there, mmkayyy?

And yeah, the weird instructions are intended to keep you from yanking the bike off the centerstand. Just, uh, you know, be super-duper-careful...

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bwringer said:

EDIT: The consensus seems to be that about 70-80 foot-pounds is more than enough, and is what some other brands with the same size axle use. I use my educated elbow...

Yamaha has a weird penchant for insanely high torque specs, (not to mention the super-bad and wrong spec for very little chain slack) so use your brains out there, mmkayyy?

The 21' has it listed at 77 foot pounds, so that's a plus. I am still unsure if I am happy with their updated chain slack spec.

• Thumbsup 3

Thanks for your comments and yes I agree, loosening and tightening on the side stand is to prevent the bike being shoved off the centre stand due to the high axel torque setting, hence I now torque it up to no more then 80 ft lbs. I also adjust the chain slack to around 40mm. The manual says 35 to 45mm.

13 hours ago, MightBeSasquatch said:

The 21' has it listed at 77 foot pounds, so that's a plus. I am still unsure if I am happy with their updated chain slack spec.

It's good to know Mama Yama finally noticed all the orders for replacement axles and axle nuts... ;)

Yup, cannot remember how I did mine but yes good practice.  Also when adjusting the slack I count the flats turned on the adjustors and keep each side the same.  Helps keep the wheels aligned and over the years have learned to not trust the markings being the same from one side to the other.  

I keep my chain on the loose side and have had no issues.  My experience has been the chain will loosen over the first couple of thousand miles then stays about the same for a long time.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Yup, cannot remember how I did mine but yes good practice.  Also when adjusting the slack I count the flats turned on the adjustors and keep each side the same.  Helps keep the wheels aligned and over the years have learned to not trust the markings being the same from one side to the other.  

I keep my chain on the loose side and have had no issues.  My experience has been the chain will loosen over the first couple of thousand miles then stays about the same for a long time.

I agree with PhotoAl - always make sure the markings are the same on each side, and keep the chain on the loose side, never tight!

• Thumbsup 1

I always string line the bike the first time, then just count flats from then on. 
And I’ll add that after string lining it and checking twice, I found the stock markings and measurements from swingarm flat to both be out, so if you’re wanting to make sure the bike is tracking true, then stringline is the only accurate way. 
I’ve always kept all my chains at 30 to 40mm slack and never had shortened life issues. The stock 15 recommended 5 to 15mm is a joke. 

Edited by OZVFR

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:24 AM, OZVFR said:

I always string line the bike the first time, then just count flats from then on. 
And I’ll add that after string lining it and checking twice, I found the stock markings and measurements from swingarm flat to both be out, so if you’re wanting to make sure the bike is tracking true, then stringline is the only accurate way. 
I’ve always kept all my chains at 30 to 40mm slack and never had shortened life issues. The stock 15 recommended 5 to 15mm is a joke. 

What's a string line? 

Or buy one of these inexpensive and foolproof alignment tools...

Also, once you replace the OEM chain with a high quality aftermarket one, you'll find the replacement chain does not need to be adjusted for slack very often. 

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09