How often to adjust manual cam chain tensioner?

bwringer

I installed an APE manual cam chain tensioner on my 2015 last year.

Is there any general consensus on how often it should be checked and adjusted? It's been in there something like 10,000 miles at the moment.

I set mine up by feel, with the cover over the tensioner blade removed so I could feel the chain tension directly.

Setting it by ear did not work for me. I could not really hear a damn bit of difference with the engine running and turning the bolt back and forth. The correct adjustment range is pretty narrow, yet I could not tell much difference in the sound unless it was very tight or very loose. So it was easiest to pop that cover off and set it by feel.

No, there are no untoward noises or anything.

What's the judgement of the collected FJ-09/Tracer enthusiasts? Every oil change? Every valve check? Something in between?

Without other guidance, my personal feeling is that I should probably order up a couple of of those gaskets (they're like, $5) and check for myself. Whatever added chain slack, if any, that is in evidence after 10,000 miles will allow me to roughly gauge whether and when I should do it again.

Edited by bwringer

• Supporting Member

I check the guides and set the chain at each valve lash adjustment. Initial setup is some 8-9 exposed threads (APE PRO ~2016) per group consensus some years back. I then do a road test or two and tweak it a bit if needed. I don't aim to remove the rattle altogether, just mute it a bit. Works for me.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member

Every valve lash check and plug change at about 8k miles (I tilt the radiator down), and/or TB sync. I listen but don't touch if it sounds right at op temp.

I check slack after changing shims then by ear.  No issues in 35k miles with the APE.

100k on my VTR.

2&3, you check the valves every 8K miles? :o Or did you mean you check the tensioner at the plug replacements?

My understanding is that oil is every 4K miles, plugs every 8K miles, valves and air filter every 24K miles. Although it's best to do the first valve check early, which I did.

Edit: just checked the factory manual... valve checks are every 26,600 miles (42,000 km) which I think is widely considered too long, and doesn't line up with the other maintenance intervals. I also just noticed they want a TB sync and checking spark plug gap every 4K, which is a downright tiresome amount of farting around with bodywork. Don't tell anyone, but I think I will skip that...

And this is a little off-topic, but why the hell plug replacements are every 8K I don't know -- mine seemed perfectly fine with around 10K. Other makes of motorcycles have weirdly short spark plug replacement intervals, and no one's quite sure why; maybe it's some sort of overkill for emissions reasons.

Edited by bwringer

• Premium Member

If you check some of my posts about valve maintenance you'll know that I check them more frequently than 26000  As I've had bad luck with tight valve lash so Every 15 to 20000 Max

Plugs are good for more than 8000 and when I'm in the mood and have the time I drop the radiator Without draining it and check them but don't necessarily replace them

Manual Cam chain tensioner at 8000 miles but it's an easy check because I just do it while it's running by ear usually usually just listening I can tell its OK

I have lots of experience with the APE MCCT Which have been rock solid

I change coolant every couple of years

I can check throttle body sync by simply pulling  The vacuum hose extensions out and hooking up my old Mercury vacuum gauge without touching any Thing

Thanks for the details, 2&3. 

Good to know the plugs can be reached behind the radiator.

I did the bike's first valve check at 21,000 miles, and all but one were out of spec (but not zero, thankfully). And that one was at the lower end. I set all 12 to the top of spec, and I suppose I'll dive back in at 40K.

And I guess I'll need to add vacuum hose extensions to the TBs next time I'm under there. Good idea to be able to check first and determine whether it's necessary. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Instinct28 said:

I wish I lived near 2&3 and he was willing to be my personal mechanic. It really sounds like he's the man on these bikes.

LOL

I've been wrenching on bikes, cars and airplanes for shoot, 50 years.  So I've learned a lot of tricks and tips over the years.  It used to be I enjoyed it but now the way I feel most days, I'd be just happy to be able to get out for a ride AOAP; which unfortunately hasn't happened yet this year. Hopefully next month sometime.

20220305_130426.jpg

20220305_134134.jpg