Handlebars filled with angry hornets?

Seriously, I came from an HD Street Glide with the famous Harley shake and it didn’t bother my hands like this bike does. When I get done riding my hands are usually buzzing and tingly, and that’s with Grip Puppies. While I was out riding today, stretching my hands and such, I noticed that the “handguards” were vibrating quite a bit more than the bars themselves. 

Has anyone removed the handguards, and did you find it made a difference? What size bar ends will fit? Any other solutions?

8 hours ago, kilo3 said:

When's the last time you did a throttle body sync?

42 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

1 TB sync

2 Ditch the OE hand guards or replace With KTM Adventure or Barkbusters

3 Replace hornets with Crossman Copperhead BBs

Brand new bike. Think I maybe just passed 2,000 miles.

I got my 15 used with no hand guards, with light aluminum bar ends.

Now I'm not bothered by vibes on any bike, this one either. 

The bend of the bar bothered me.

I got a different bar, shortened it, tapped the ends and put on HEAVY bar ends.

No problems.

I did do a TB sync also.

I've got a 2020 GT and haven't noticed any handlebar vibration.  Previous bike was a BMW F800GT that had a good bit of vibration.  It would leave my hands tingling after an hour or so.  Realized I was gripping the bars too hard and found if I just relaxed my gip all was good.  I did put grip puppies on it which fixed it.

Back to Tracer, bought my bike new and figure would put grip puppies on it but have never had an issue with vibration on the bars.  The mirrors are usable even when at speed on the interstate, OE Hand guards done seem to vibrate.  Not saying you don't have an issue just describing what I have experienced.

I bought my bike a long ways from home and racked up the miles pretty quickly.  Had over 2,000 miles on it when I got it home.  What you describe as angry hornets seems like an engine vibration.  I'm at near 20,000 miles and did a TB sync at around 12,000 which did make a difference but not a huge one - didn't have an issue so not a lot to improve.  I would try that first.

Dealer I got it from seemed to be top notch and the bike was nicely assembled.  I have had zero issues with loose or misadjusted components.  Vern Eyde in Sioux Falls SD, maybe they get more excited about motorcycles as they spend half the year working on snowmobiles 🙂 

EDIT:  LOL I just realized you are from South Dakota.  I love going there and have been lots of places in the state but never to Sturgis.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 3

Worth thinking laterally so could this relate to changes impacting you rather than the bike? Reason I ask, in my first year of ownership I had absolutely no issues with vibration then I broke my right collarbone on a track day (not on the Tracer GT!) and a year on I now get severe tingly in my right arm and hand within 30 minutes of riding.

I have a variety of other bikes which don’t cause the same problem so assume there is an engine frequency with the CP3 engine that just sets this off. Not sure of the cure but will continue to monitor this thread

I came direct from a HD FLTRU to this 21 Tracer. Yes the Tracer vibrates more than most any modern rubber mounted or twin balanced Harley. My two HD tourers were real smooth. And there was rubber everywhere: handlebars, footboards, etc. moreover as we know, the Tracer is a much faster running motor RPM-wise. Even with the balance shaft it will vibrate all over. Seat, foot pegs, handlebars. It hardly bothers me at all. However, I notice that after a couple of hours highway riding I will get a little numbness in my smaller two fingers, each hand. I’ve had creeping neuropathy for years. Even as I type my fingers tingle. But yes the Tracer does seem to bring on the tingle. 

• Thumbsup 1

So it looks like the threaded inserts the handguards attach to are threaded into the bars themselves. Does anyone know if those are removed, will the bars accept standard bar ends?

31 minutes ago, pokey074 said:

So it looks like the threaded inserts the handguards attach to are threaded into the bars themselves. Does anyone know if those are removed, will the bars accept standard bar ends?

If by standard you mean fz/mt 09 bar ends, then yes.