New review

grim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I like this bit:

"The Crossplane Concept motor has a distinctive vibration that is a sensation throughout the machine, and not annoying at all. Emanating from the engine, it permeates the bike and rider. The growl and syncopation is an essential portion of the experience. It is as if you are part of a tuning fork vibrating at a perfect harmonic resonance — so appropriate"

I think quite a few people might disagree with that sentiment.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I like this bit: 
"The Crossplane Concept motor has a distinctive vibration that is a sensation throughout the machine, and not annoying at all. Emanating from the engine, it permeates the bike and rider. The growl and syncopation is an essential portion of the experience. It is as if you are part of a tuning fork vibrating at a perfect harmonic resonance — so appropriate"

Actually, I agree with this statement. I do "feel" the engine operating and it's not excessive or annoying to me at all. It feels like the engine is part of the frame, which it is! I like it.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

I've noticed that it feels like I can tell if I accidentally left the mode setting in Standard (I try to remember to always switch to A mode, unless I am riding in a monsoon).  The motor pulses feel more sharp in A mode than they do in standard or B mode.

I like this bit: 

Actually, I agree with this statement. I do "feel" the engine operating and it's not excessive or annoying to me at all. It feels like the engine is part of the frame, which it is! I like it. 
Ty

Thank you Ty, and the reviewer for realizing that you can feel the bike operating underneath you and it's wonderful.

It's a MOTORCYCLE people! They make noise, they make sounds, you can hear the components of the engine and drivetrain spinning, and whining, and groaning, and whirring!!! The winds toss your head and body around, it's what riding a MOTORCYCLE is all about!

If certain harmonics and noises and vibrations bother you, don't buy a bike! That's what a CAR is for, to envelop you in silence and comfort (and boredom)...

Ok I'm done. Thanks for letting me vent.
;)
-skip

Ty

Thank you Ty, and the reviewer for realizing that you can feel the bike operating underneath you and it's wonderful.

It's a MOTORCYCLE people! They make noise, they make sounds, you can hear the components of the engine and drivetrain spinning, and whining, and groaning, and whirring!!! The winds toss your head and body around, it's what riding a MOTORCYCLE is all about!

If certain harmonics and noises and vibrations bother you, don't buy a bike! That's what a CAR is for, to envelop you in silence and comfort (and boredom)...

Ok I'm done. Thanks for letting me vent.
;)
-skip
I feel I should add that this is not always the case. I used to ride a friend of mines 1999 Honda Superhawk occasionally ...that twin vibe felt like a jackhammer through the bars when you rolled on the throttle. The FJ-09 is nothing like that. 
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
It's a MOTORCYCLE If certain harmonics and noises and vibrations bother you, don't buy a bike! That's what a CAR is for, to envelop you in silence and comfort (and boredom)...
If this were a Harley or a Ducati I might agree, but we're talking about the FJ-09 here. Any bike with saddlebags and heated grips as factory accessories was obviously designed to commute and tour in comfort.

I'm still in the break-in period so I'm still not sure about the vibration. But I like to tour long distances and I know that vibration can be a serious problem. My old BMW K100RS had pretty bad high frequency vibes through the bars. After a few hundred miles my hands would literally be numb. The vibes took their toll on the bike, too. After 50-60k miles metal fatigue started to set in and pieces started to literally fall off; brackets, the headlight reflector, a fuel tank seam.

So far the FJ's vibration doesn't seem nearly as bad as my old BMW, which is good.

• 1 month later...
It's a MOTORCYCLE If certain harmonics and noises and vibrations bother you, don't buy a bike! That's what a CAR is for, to envelop you in silence and comfort (and boredom)...
If this were a Harley or a Ducati I might agree, but we're talking about the FJ-09 here. Any bike with saddlebags and heated grips as factory accessories was obviously designed to commute and tour in comfort. 
I'm still in the break-in period so I'm still not sure about the vibration. But I like to tour long distances and I know that vibration can be a serious problem. My old BMW K100RS had pretty bad high frequency vibes through the bars. After a few hundred miles my hands would literally be numb. The vibes took their toll on the bike, too. After 50-60k miles metal fatigue started to set in and pieces started to literally fall off; brackets, the headlight reflector, a fuel tank seam.

So far the FJ's vibration doesn't seem nearly as bad as my old BMW, which is good.
If you're in the break- in period and the vibrations don't bother... you're in luck cause once the engine breaks in to me the vibrations smoothed out quite a bit

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
Found this new long term review of the Fj-09, not sure if it was posted anywhere yet.....http://www.sportrider.com/10000-mile-long-term-test-yamahas-fj-09
Nice, thank you. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I feel I should add that this is not always the case. I used to ride a friend of mines 1999 Honda Superhawk occasionally ...that twin vibe felt like a jackhammer through the bars when you rolled on the throttle. The FJ-09 is nothing like that. 
Ty

I have 105,000 miles (not Km) on my 97 VTR1000F and I find it faster, smoother with IMO far less annoying vibration (I have Kev's O2 controller with TB synced very closely so it is relatively smooth for a FJ-09), better handling (Penske rear shock and highly moded forks versus OEM FJ-09 legs so far) and more aero (whereas my FJ-09 has Givi Touring Screen with MRA X-Creen and the KTM Adventurer hand guards but it still is noisy) and my VTR is definitely more comfortable than my FJ-09 other than my when my C5 & C6 herneated and ruptured discs cry foul after a few hours looking up from a relatively gentlemanly sport touring tuck position.  However to be fair, my VTR has 1-inch lowered and 1/2" forward foot pegs, 3-1/2" higher, 2-inch back with 1-1/2" more sweep solid aluminum clip-ons, a customized (by me) 1-1/2" taller Sargent saddle with my patented tush pad and ball pocket, only a standard ZG DB, 2Bros cans that are mellow if a bit forceful so ear plugs are a must (I wear them on the FJ-09 too due to the wind noise) and has been maintained (with carbs "calibrated" and synced to a nat's eyelash) by me from day one, so it is a very special VTR.

Archived