New review

grim

• Premium Member
Congrats on taking care of a bike for so long. A friend switched from a Triumph Sprint to a Ducati ST because vibes on the Sprint always put his hands to sleep. Myself, having ridden boxers, parallels, and V-twins, I ALWAYS prefer more cylinders (haven't had the chance to ride a Goldwing or other 6 cylinder moto yet, though). I think the upright seating position that lets you ride the FJ without back pain is also the same position that creates more noise. I loved the riding position on my old Ninja - from the waist up. My knees and the cramped pegs were the limiting factor while riding. For me this bike just has so many good features at a price point I would consider that it is as close to an ideal bike as I think exists.

Congrats on taking care of a bike for so long. A friend switched from a Triumph Sprint to a Ducati ST because vibes on the Sprint always put his hands to sleep. Myself, having ridden boxers, parallels, and V-twins, I ALWAYS prefer more cylinders (haven't had the chance to ride a Goldwing or other 6 cylinder moto yet, though). I think the upright seating position that lets you ride the FJ without back pain is also the same position that creates more noise. I loved the riding position on my old Ninja - from the waist up. My knees and the cramped pegs were the limiting factor while riding. For me this bike just has so many good features at a price point I would consider that it is as close to an ideal bike as I think exists.
Second that.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I've noticed that it feels like I can tell if I accidentally left the mode setting in Standard (I try to remember to always switch to A mode, unless I am riding in a monsoon).  The motor pulses feel more sharp in A mode than they do in standard or B mode. 

I seem to be in STD all the time and it works for me.  A little more twist to get the goods, but in the end you get all she has. 

It's a MOTORCYCLE If certain harmonics and noises and vibrations bother you, don't buy a bike! That's what a CAR is for, to envelop you in silence and comfort (and boredom)...
If this were a Harley or a Ducati I might agree, but we're talking about the FJ-09 here. Any bike with saddlebags and heated grips as factory accessories was obviously designed to commute and tour in comfort. 
I'm still in the break-in period so I'm still not sure about the vibration. But I like to tour long distances and I know that vibration can be a serious problem. My old BMW K100RS had pretty bad high frequency vibes through the bars. After a few hundred miles my hands would literally be numb. The vibes took their toll on the bike, too. After 50-60k miles metal fatigue started to set in and pieces started to literally fall off; brackets, the headlight reflector, a fuel tank seam.

So far the FJ's vibration doesn't seem nearly as bad as my old BMW, which is good.
I suggest you take 4 days and ride 2-3K, then you would be an expert on how the bike you bought is for touring.  It will do your butt good.

• Premium Member
BTDT. I've done a 1000 mile day and a few other long tours on my FJ. It's a million times better than my old K-bike. It's not as smooth as some other bikes I've ridden, but the FJ's vibes don't rise to the level of obnoxious.

Archived