Nelson Rigg Hurricane tail bag/backpack

• Premium Member

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/06/28/nelson-rigg-hurricane-2-0-waterproof-backpack-tail-pack-gear-review/

I have the 1.0 40 L.  I bought it because I wanted a big waterproof bag for camping gear, and I had a trip where I needed a big backpack off the bike. 

Pro - HUGE waterproof main compartment

Good size match for the FJ rear seat

Mixed bag - one large compartment means everything fits, but it's hard to find smaller items. 

Molle webbing seems gimmicky. I don't want things hanging on the outside of a moto bag flapping around. 

Cons - worst thing - the well padded backpack straps make this a mediocre tailbag. It sits tall on the backseat. Given the height and width, it's not as stable as I expected. The tie down straps that come with the bag to attach it to the bike are too short to tie down the bag securely when the bag is mostly full but not bulging. So I supplement with Rok straps. 

The backpack has no structure, so if you fill the bag it will be hard to carry as a backpack any distance.

The bottle holders lie at 90 degrees as a tailbag so you either completely secure bottles with webbing while riding or you make them easy to access as a backpack but not both. 

Conclusion - good dual use idea that's not great at either. I'll keep using it for really big trips, but if I had to do it again, I'd find a good quality dry bag with a bandolier strap and use it with Rok straps. It would have been cheaper. 

web_unspecified-1-1536x1024.jpg

• Thanks 1