Last ride, First ride

duckie

The time finally came in the move to leave the Bay Area. I was 19 when I got here. Lots of history here, lots of fond momeries were made in this valley. Most of those are from motorcycles and the people that ride I met and the places to hangout.

I did my last ride in the Bay Area a few weeks ago. Rode all my favorite roads, roads I know like the back of my hand. Page Mill, very technical, tight turns, sections that flowed all leading up to 35 than 84 down to the general store in San Gregorio. 

I have no idea how many times Ive done that route over 25 years. Lots.

It was a bittersweet ride for sure……but was time to get out. 

Yesterday, I did my first ride out of the new place. I choose to do 32 out of Chico up to 36 and decide which way to go from there. 

I took River rd off of 32 to Chico River road to pick up 32 again. River rd runs right next to the Sacramento River. Its a short piece of road but flows nicely turn to turn and has some great views of the river. The road goes right past Scottys Bar…..gonna have to stop there next time. 

Once through Chico, 32 didnt seem all that great….at first. Long straights, lots of sweepers….no big deal really. The road was also in great shape though. 

Then, slowly the turns started. 32 runs besides and crosses Deer Creek river which at times provided many outstanding views. The change in the land was quite apparent along 32. It ranged from grass land to forest to meadow to lava.

Since it was my first time on the road, I really was out for a putt and rode a notch or two down. Just getting the feel for it. It offers a good selection of flowing sections. There were no real surprises…..is in shit where this hairpin come from……well one surprise…..logging trucks and they can haul ass at times.

One very depressing aspect of the ride was along 36 into Chester. The area was  in a forest fire a few years ago and the damage is unreal. But below the burned trees was green meadows with pink flowers just showing over the grass. Quite a contrast

In Chester, got gas, a Subway and decided to head back the way I came. If I want to do any serious riding in up here, I gotta start alot earler.  

At the turn off from 36 to 32, 3 cars in front of me made the turn and I decided to get around them quickly, so on the gas I went . The first two no problem but the third one , a 1/2 ton truck with a lumber rack and small job box in the bed was on the gas some what and took more to get around, lucky this was on a long straight. By first thought…..hes a local.

Then the turns came and not knowing the road at all, my pace dropped some and sure enough, the truck appeared in my mirrors. At the first straight of any length, I pulled to the right and waved him by, which got me a thank you honk and wave, and tucked right in behind him and paced him.

Yep, I was right, he was a local, he knew the road and set a really, really good pace. Cool part was watching him go through turns with his left arm hanging out the window. 

The ride down was a blast…32 is on my do again list.

The really hard part is choosing the next road to ride.

Oh, the bike did great. I had to put a new battery in cause I left the key on and killed the battery. I put in a lithium battery as a replacement and the bike runs better.  The old battery was OEM and 4 years old. 

Something else…….tire pressures. The bike when been sitting where the sun shines on the wheels. When I checked the pressures, they both were 6lbs over  what is recommend as stock pressures. I lowered them to 42 rear, 35 front and damn if the bike didnt handle better and ride better.

Good rides ahead……

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, duckie said:

Yep, I was right, he was a local, he knew the road and set a really, really good pace.

1 hour ago, 1moreroad said:

Nothing like following a local in a beat up pickup truck and finding it a good pace. 😀

I love being surprised when getting "stuck" behind someone who I presume is going to be slow only to end up trying to play catch-up when they take off. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Doesn't happen often here, I'm the local.

Ever notice it's NEVER a mini van.

While still on the hiway approaching my exit I judge vehicles ahead of me. If I don't like them I pass, even in my car. If not I'll be stuck behind them for 15 miles up and down the mountain with little chance to pass as they go 30 in a 50 mph.

Something else surprised me also.

Going up 32, bout 5 miles out of Chico, I came up on a logging truck empy, carring his second trailer piggy back and was really carrying some speed……some really good speed.

Turns started which slowed his pace a little and not knowing the road, I was real choosey on where I wanted to pass.  A nice little straight appeared and just as I pulled out to pass, he puts on his left turn signal, but doesnt slow down nor did any brakes lights come on. So , around I go. As I did, I noticed he turned his left turn signal off.

I watched in my mirrors to see if he turned left anywhere, he didnt.

I figure it was him giving me a signal it was cool to go around. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why he turned on his left turn signal.

• Like 1

3 years ago rode 93 in Idaho.  On my BMW F800GT fully loaded ad ran across a local in an FJ.  He set a very good pace and I just hung out behind hime and enjoyed it.  The F800GT didn't have the grunt the Tracer does but handled vey nicely and we were going downhill.  Roads like that make me wish for my ZX6R or CBR600RR.  They were razor sharp handling but not something to ride 500 or 600 miles a day.  

Last year in Montana coming out of Red Lodge came up behind a pickup going nicely but only doing 65 on a 2 lane with a 70MPH speed limit.  Had a good straight stretch so just rolled on the gas and went around - even used my turn signal.  As I got beside him glanced over and saw, in 12" high letters one word - SHERIFF!  Oops too late going to have to complete and home he is not in a bad mood - he wasn't and I carefully and slowly motored on 🙂  This was about the time Gabby was killed by her "boyfriend" in the Tetons just a little ways south.

EDIT:  We have a son in Sunnyvale and have been out there a few times and expect will be out more frequently now that they have a baby.  I've seen some great sights and wonderful roads but only in rentals.  Contemplating riding my bike out there in August/September.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Haha 1

Well if you do ride……heres a list for ya……

Moody road

Page Mill

Alpine

Pescadro

Stage

Gazo Creek

Mines road

Mt Hamilton 

Tunitus Creek

Of course 1

Jameston Creek

Empire Grade

Boony Dune

just to name a few…..

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
22 hours ago, duckie said:

Yesterday, I did my first ride out of the new place. I choose to do 32 out of Chico up to 36 and decide which way to go from there.

I'm not sure if you have previously mentioned (or I simply forgot) how much you have ridden the Northern half of the state or if this will be new territory for you to explore.

You have phenomenal riding in every direction of your new location, great day rides and unforgettable 2 and 3-day loops.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

31 minutes ago, betoney said:

I'm not sure if you have previously mentioned (or I simply forgot) how much you have ridden the Northern half of the state or if this will be new territory for you to explore.

You have phenomenal riding in every direction of your new location, great day rides and unforgettable 2 and 3-day loops.

What riding Ive done here was over 20 years ago and very limited. 

• Thumbsup 1

Duckie, I know the area really well, so I can give you ideas on where to ride. Just let me know how many hours you want to ride, and I can set you up with some magic routes. 

As for 32, it's an ok road. The first 25 miles out of Chico as you noticed is kind of boring. Then once you pass the road to Butte Meadows and the 32 drops into the canyon it gets fun pretty fast. Until you hit that first hairpin and it bites you in the rear end. I know exactly which curve that is. Even though I know it's there, its easy to get sucked into the rhythm of the curves before, and them BAM! your pegs are scraping as you lean further and further to keep it between the lines. 

The good thing about riding 32 first is that it gets you ready for all the other roads nearby that are more better. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Well, what are some of your favorites routes? I keep looking at the map and going …..Oh this one looks good, and this one and this…..

I can ride 6-10 hours.  I got a air inflatable seat pad cover that really helps. 

Im thinking 36 is next. I rode it over 20 years ago and been hankering for a long to do it again and also hit 1 Titlow Hill road which I also rode over 20 years ago.

The two roads that lead up to Qunicy is next …..La Porta and Orville.

Hi ya Kevin

I still remember that ride where I wondered if your brake light was broken cause it never came on…..

36 has been calling me……gonna do it in a few days.

If ya ever in the area, give a shout out…..

7 minutes ago, duckie said:

Hi ya Kevin

I still remember that ride where I wondered if your brake light was broken cause it never came on…..

36 has been calling me……gonna do it in a few days.

If ya ever in the area, give a shout out…..

Definitely go out 36 and pop out on Titlow Hill Rd in Willow Creek. The road's name at 36 is FS1, right at Mad River.  Then when you're up in 299, follow it until you hit Douglas City, then stay on 3 southbound, through Hayfork (you're in for a treat). It'll connect back to 36, and you'll head back home from there.

https://goo.gl/maps/2QGYrLibNEDZhKJZ8

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current