Sick of Yamaha

I bought my Tracer 9 GT in July of 2021.  After several issues which had the bike laid up for over 6 months they finally have it right, well almost.  I find their latest ECU reflash to suck, you know, the one from the recall.  The bike runs terrible when cold and there's a flat spot in the powerband that's very noticeable when accelerating hard from second gear at low revs.  I would tell you at what RPM's but I can't begin to see that sorry ass TFT that Yamaha decided to give the bike. The bike also has a strange trait when engine braking.  It will slow down as expected but then the compression just seems to release itself causing the bike to lurch forward just a bit.    My latest complaint is that Yamaha has made hardly any accessories available for the bike.  I want the heated comfort seat but it isn't available in the states.  While I find the Tracer 9 GT to be a great bike I must say that I enjoyed my 2015 FJ09 a lot more.  I was just more fun.  I'm not sure how long I'll keep the Tracer, this one has just left me with a bad taste, especially the way Yamaha has decided to run their enterprise.

I'm waiting til the new Honda NT1100 becomes available.  Hopefully I'll find that more to my liking.  Sorry for the negativity but my latest attempt to get the seat mentioned earlier has me pissed.

If anyone else is experiencing the flatspot in the powerband or the lurching when engine braking please let me know.

Edited by BVEBRAD
Better composition.
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 2
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, BVEBRAD said:

I bought my Tracer 9 GT in July of 2021.  After several issues which had the bike laid up for over 6 months they finally have it right, well almost.  I find their latest ECU reflash to suck, you know, the one from the recall.  The bike runs terrible when cold and there's a flat spot in the powerband that's very noticeable when accelerating hard from second gear at low revs.  I would tell you at what RPM's but I can't begin to see that sorry ass TFT that Yamaha decided to give the bike. The bike also has a strange trait when engine braking.  It will slow down as expected but then the compression just seems to release itself causing the bike to lurch forward just a bit.    My latest complaint is that Yamaha has made hardly any accessories available for the bike.  I want the heated comfort seat but it isn't available in the states.  While I find the Tracer 9 GT to be a great bike I must say that I enjoyed my 2015 FJ09 a lot more.  I was just more fun.  I'm not sure how long I'll keep the Tracer, this one has just left me with a bad taste, especially the way Yamaha has decided to run their enterprise.

I'm waiting til the new Honda NT1100 becomes available.  Hopefully I'll find that more to my liking.  Sorry for the negativity but my latest attempt to get the seat mentioned earlier has me pissed.

If anyone else is experiencing the flatspot in the powerband or the lurching when engine braking please let me know.

I understand your frustration.  I also read the FZ/MT09 forums and there are some similar issues reported on the newest '21/'22 bike as well.  Between the Euro 5 compliance with fueling and the ride by wire throttle grip sensor, there seem to be some bugs that still need to be worked out.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Doing without a new bike for 6 months is simply unacceptable. They should have bought it back and given you another.

at the same time, I am having a different experience with my new Tracer. I’ve had no issues with the bike apart from the ecu recall.

I think I know what you are referring to as flat spot in acceleration. I feel it too but it appears to be a case of too much throttle at too low a speed. It feels a little boggy. If I more gently coax the motor and increase throttle only as fast as it can “handle it” my flat spot doesn’t appear. To my way of thinking, this is a small motor. I’m more accustomed to big displacement low revving motors that come off the line like monsters. Those don’t have to be coaxed. More throttle results in smoking rear tire, not a bog down. Still, you had an earlier version of Tracer/FJ that you were happy with. I wouldn’t have expected the newer version to be anything but better.

Coming off of a life aboard huge motorcycles to the Tracer, I have had to make many adjustments. Hasn’t been easy. But I’m there. I broke my old butt in to the stock bike, and I’m very happy with it. Even with the (agreed) sorry TFT displays. Useless for a 73 year old. I naturally assume Yamaha did not have my 73 year old eyes in mind when they designed it. So I accept it as it is.

It is a strong bike with a few undesirables  like any other bike   I never had one among over 50 that was perfect  

• Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

Mmmm. Just been checking availability of heated comfort seat. They are VERY hard to source. Yamaha EU are out of stock,and it seems that no U.K. dealers have any either. I understand your frustration. If I find one,I'll let you know.🤞🏻

• Thumbsup 2

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

A friend of mine bought a new ‘21 T9 GT……..hates it with a passion.  His bike is at the local Yamaha dealer who is trying to get the bike to run correctly.  I doubt that he will keep the T9 when he gets it back.  It is not good at all for my buddy or T9 owners.

• Thumbsup 1

This thread makes me glad I have a 2019 900 GT. Knock on wood ... no issues with that bike which I bought used with 2900 miles on the clock. Now over 10k after some use and a 2k+ mile road trip.

I too was interested in a heated comfort seat but I don't know how long I'll have this bike plus the seat is like a unicorn.

• Thumbsup 7

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

It's always a risk buying the first year model, or the first year major overhaul... I'm living with a '15 model that needed a bunch of fixes in order to be rideable. 

Sorry you're stuck in this mess. It's so frustrating! 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

I can't believe my 2015 is perfect in comparison.

Took an ECU flash and my adjusting the APS to get there.

Rumor has it along with some 30 models, the Gold Wing is extinct all due to emissions regs strangulation.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

The lurching on engine braking I haven't had at all, zero.

But the dead spot in 2nd gear is very noticeable if you try to flog it, and it's definitely not traction or lift control kicking in as no lights turn on the dash and I can pin the throttle in 1st gear no issues.

I've had both the ECU and throttle recalls done.

Seeing as basically all of us have this issue, maybe we start talking about lawyering up?

19 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

The lurching on engine braking I haven't had at all, zero.

But the dead spot in 2nd gear is very noticeable if you try to flog it, and it's definitely not traction or lift control kicking in as no lights turn on the dash and I can pin the throttle in 1st gear no issues.

I've had both the ECU and throttle recalls done.

Seeing as basically all of us have this issue, maybe we start talking about lawyering up?

I have no such issues at all in over 6K miles but have had a lot of smiles.  The recall actually made the throttle a bit smoother but it was smooth to begin with.  My previous bike was a 2012 FZ-01 which had a notorious throttle snatch that was cured with an ECU flash,