Sick of Yamaha

1 hour ago, jthayer09 said:

PSA: the '21 and newer Tracer models use the new Euro5 6-pin connector: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T98XMLX?psc=1

Yes thanks for that! Received the item I quoted earlier and it was the incorrect plug as I have the newer model. Earlier models should be ok but anyone buying should double-check what plug and year/model they have.

Not good to have problems at 4,500 miles!  I’m on a long trip and near 4,500 miles but 2,000 to get home.  I’ve toyed with trading my 2020 900 GT for. 9GT but stuff like this spokes me a bit.  I’ll be nearly 27,000 miles when I get back and only had the bike 2 years.  Riding across Montana for last 2 days with 2 more to go before I hit the Black Hills.  Bike works very nicely when loaded with me and my stuff.  Soaks up the undulations and bumps nicely and yet still stable in the corners.  Unfamiliar roads so running a brisk but spirited pace.  At this pace I figure another couple of years before I need to start thinking about a new bike.  I have no doubt the bike will last much longer but with 50,000 plus miles I would not be as comfortable on a 3 week trip.

Wonder if the T9GT seeming issues may be more COVID manufacturing issues rather than design issues, if so newer models should be better.  I still believe Yamahas to be height quality and reliable bikes.

• Thumbsup 6

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Not good to have problems at 4,500 miles!  I’m on a long trip and near 4,500 miles but 2,000 to get home.  I’ve toyed with trading my 2020 900 GT for. 9GT but stuff like this spokes me a bit.  I’ll be nearly 27,000 miles when I get back and only had the bike 2 years.  Riding across Montana for last 2 days with 2 more to go before I hit the Black Hills.  Bike works very nicely when loaded with me and my stuff.  Soaks up the undulations and bumps nicely and yet still stable in the corners.  Unfamiliar roads so running a brisk but spirited pace.  At this pace I figure another couple of years before I need to start thinking about a new bike.  I have no doubt the bike will last much longer but with 50,000 plus miles I would not be as comfortable on a 3 week trip.

Wonder if the T9GT seeming issues may be more COVID manufacturing issues rather than design issues, if so newer models should be better.  I still believe Yamahas to be height quality and reliable bikes.

Right, that's how I feel too. The bike is wonderful on paper but it feels like QC may not have been up to usual JP standards. Unfortunately clearing my code and going for a ride did not fix; it came back almost immediately.

P2135 code in the service manual has the possible cause of malfunction: defective throttle position coupler --> short in the harness between coupler and ECU --> improperly installed throttle position sensor --> malfunctioning ECU.

Normally I'm one to do all of the work on my machine except valves, but at 4,500mi it's the principle that this should be on Yamaha, especially since the last time (and only time) my bike was opened up was to get the 2 recalls done at the dealership: ECU flash and throttle.

The ECU recall specifically: "Improper electronic control unit (ECU) programming may limit the throttle response, cause an engine stall, or fail to illuminate the engine warning light when a system error occurs".

Hopefully Yamaha owns this, I just had a great experience with Honda in that they replaced the AC on my '17 Civic at no cost to me with a 10-year warranty.

• Thumbsup 2

I went to my local MEGA motorcycle superstore and dealer today to pickup some new gloves, finally got to see the latest Tracer 9GT. I like the pretty red paint job, and the new location of the key.........THAT'S IT. Feel my 20 looks overall better, certainly don't like the new hard bags, don't like the dual gauge clusters, and yeah there has been some teething issues with this new model. Kudos to those of you who like this model, but have a feeling that Yamaha will be making some more changes sooner than later, and to fix their out of the ordinary QC issues.

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, Ride365 said:

have a feeling that Yamaha will be making some more changes sooner than later

The rumour mill agrees with you in that there are suggestions that for 2023 the dual display will become a single display and that cruise control will become active cruise control with lidar or somesuch to match the speed of the traffic ahead.

Chasing market with new features is all well and good, but I hope they also address some of the fundamental issues that are well known in the current line-up.

Whether Yamaha do or not will tell us which market they care about. Are they interested in making a knowledgeable customer-base happy (and thus generating sales thru word of mouth and recommendations) or do they see their future in selling to those who can only read marketing brochures?

I wait with both trepidation and hope.

• Thumbsup 4

10 hours ago, Ride365 said:

... Feel my 20 looks overall better, certainly don't like the new hard bags, don't like the dual gauge clusters, and yeah there has been some teething issues with this new model. ...

The panniers are an odd shape but from the right angle they can be acceptable. You didn't mention the seat which I dislike almost as much as the dash ... it is even more dished than the previous model, which we know needs the shim-fix to stop us sliding into the tank. That said I like this particular colourway.

2022-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-long-range-scratcher.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

3 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

The rumour mill agrees with you in that there are suggestions that for 2023 the dual display will become a single display and that cruise control will become active cruise control with lidar or somesuch to match the speed of the traffic ahead.

I wait with both trepidation and hope.

For me, they need not add active CC since that will only add to the cost. All they need to do is get rid of the dumb dash, flatten the seat, work out the few bugs that people have been experiencing and keep the price the same and they'd have a winner ... even with the panniers and thumb-wheel unchanged. To me they are that close. I too wait with trepidation and hope, but I fear that I may end up with a GS before that materializes, and then I won't be able to afford a new Tracer as well.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

That said I like this particular colourway.

2022-yamaha-tracer-9-gt-long-range-scratcher.jpg

Agreed.   That vertical slab side fairing (and the way it comes together with the various filler panels) still looks awkward to me, but this combination does a nice job of making it look more integrated, while still providing some amount of definition & contrast.    It doesn't appear to be an option for us here in the US, however... :(

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I went to my local MEGA motorcycle superstore and dealer today to pickup some new gloves, finally got to see the latest Tracer 9GT. I like the pretty red paint job, and the new location of the key.........THAT'S IT. Feel my 20 looks overall better, certainly don't like the new hard bags, don't like the dual gauge clusters, and yeah there has been some teething issues with this new model. Kudos to those of you who like this model, but have a feeling that Yamaha will be making some more changes sooner than later, and to fix their out of the ordinary QC issues.

Trend has been revision every 3-years yeah?

2015-2017 was 1st gen FJ09

2018-2020 was 2nd gen Tracer 900

2021-curent is 3rd gen Tracer 9

I'd expect the next revision to be 2024 as this generation would run through 2023 mechanically. I might be misremembering but I think 2017 got the slipper clutch upgrade so we can hope maybe an incremental upgrade for 2023 happens to fix some kinks.

• Thumbsup 2

I'm planning on keeping my 20 for a good while, I am quite smitten with it overall. I do however lust a bit after a BMW R1250RS, who knows what will be out there by the time I am considering a new steed. If all this ludicrous "go green" garbage keeps up, none of us will be buying new fossil fuel motorcycles as they won't be produced or will be outrageously priced. 🙄

Edited by Ride365

• 1 month later...
  • Supporting Member

I was supposed to take the bike into the dealer today but the CEL turned off when I took it for a ride this past Sunday on the weekly start up and ride around the town.

Bike runs perfectly now, 3 hour round-trip jaunt and nothing noticeably wrong and the CEL didn't come back on. I'm going to leave the code in in case the CEL comes back on again and I do need to take it to the shop; they said hold-off on bringing it in since without the CEL on they can't warranty anything.

Seems weird to me. If I had left the bike on a tender/trickle charger then I would've chalked it up to low battery voltage throwing a sensor (throttle position sensor specifically) off. But I let the bike sit on it's own except for the weekly ride to keep fluids moving; I haven't charged it at all.

So I have zero frame of reference for why the issue happened and how it fixed itself. I am hypothesizing static build up somewhere in the harness or at the throttle position coupler. I previously read either here or on the MT09 forums someone said detaching the throttle position coupler and spraying some contact cleaner onto it turned off their CEL with the same code I posted. This was actually the same cure for an amplifier I own with a very noisy pot that would build up static over time.

Might do that when I open the bike up for 6K check.

Strange things.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, jthayer09 said:

Strange things.

Indeed.  I hate strange/unknown/intermittent issues, especially with electrical components.   

Glad to hear it’s running well, and hopefully there are no further issues for you!