21 9 gt with ticking noise

Hey guys I'm new here and this is my first post so apologies for it being a moaning one,

I bought a 21 tech kamo gt 2 weeks ago with 1800klms on the clock and I absolutely love it, however on the way home from a 1200 kilometers round trip the weekend I noticed the ticking noise from the right side of the engine and has been with me since, I have searched and think I've found it to be the cam chain tensioner according to other people with the same issue, will it need to be replaced or is it something I'll have to live with, cheers guys, 

Marco 

• Thumbsup 1

Yeah engine noises.  This is a fairly clattery engine, most would agree.  As well, noises come and go.  They change with heat and cold, as well as the mood of the rider, to say nothing of how well the rider actually hears anything at all, which is something to wonder about given the apparent average age of Tracer owners.  Since you are new to the bike, best way to go is to wear earplugs and don't think much about the sounds coming off the motor.  As long as the motor is running well, you're probably OK.  Not likely a cam chain tensioner is dying at 1800 km.

Congrats on the new bike.  I'm new to the Tracer also, just since January this year.  I'm about to pass 9k miles, and like you, I love the bike.  Welcome.

• Thumbsup 3

Hey man thanks for getting back to me, from what I have been reading it's nothing really to worry about but I've contacted the dealer anyway and I'll get the mechanic to look it over, I plan on doing many long trips and tours on this bike so don't wanna be caught out somewhere with a broken down bike lol, 

But on the other I absolutely love the bike, I've been on sports bikes for years and this is my first step over onto a sports tourer and I should have done it years ago 

Agree with Krusty
So far what i'v picked up plenty of clickity clack traits with my CP3.
When cold the most dominant sound i pick that falls out of the "normal" operation sound to me at least, is the cam chain. It can on my bike clap / click abit when the bike has just been turned on. I think this is pretty normal considering how the cam chain is set up? Makes sense to me at least.
 Clutch makes noise, no idea what part but its mostly noticeable when i pull the clutch in and when i am stationary. 
Valves and and the rest of the engine to me sound very good (mostly) sometimes some odd noise will creep in, and next day i wont notice it anymore eheh... I am 24 and my hearing is pretty much okay i think!

I think my engine felt and sounded better after i ensured that my oil level was "topped off". My dealer left it a little close to the "low" mark for my liking. Placebo likely playing a HUGE part in that observation however. 

Edited by Sunde
  • Haha 1