Preaching that gear oil

This has been discussed before I know but comments in this other thread made me write this and as it's so long and off-topic I thought it best to create a new thread for it.

I am a gear oil convert and have been ever since the chain on my 900GT died prematurely and I replaced it with a nice golden DID VX3. But what use is a golden chain when it's full of wax, right?

I think the main reason people get turned off by gear oil is that it takes some time to get a feel for the right amount. Too little and doesn't lubricate well enough and too much causes a lot of fling. I use a smallish very soft brush dipped in gear oil and let it run along the warm chain (all 4 sides). I do this when I get home after every long ride but can skip one or two without issue. It takes about 30 seconds.

Benefits:

-so cheap. One bottle costs 7 euro and lasts forever
-chain looks nice at all times, new even, nothing sticks to it
-sounds better, like a well oiled machine instead of a grime grinder
-very little splatter and if there is some it's very easy to wipe off
-if the chain gets dirty from foul weather, just run a rag over it and it's clean
-when travelling I fill a tiny hotel shampoo bottle, so easy

Downsides:

-smell. I don't mind it. That bubblegum bike shampoo smell, now that bothers me
-it requires some skill, not as easy as a spray-can
-you need more applications yes, but honestly I'm the first to balk at recurring choirs and this is really so quick and easy and the benefits are so plentiful. It's a no-brainer to me.

The reason I wanted to share this is that I actually have just removed the wax yesterday from this new-to-me bike and it's so much work. Never again. I had forgotten how filthy the wheels get too. Really it makes a world of difference when done right.

Bonus tip: The oil thins and spreads great through a chain that is hot from riding. After cleaning the bike the chain is cold so I pour some boiling water in a pot and put the jar that I use for the oil in it until the gear oil is nice and runny.  

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Used wax for most of the first chain then switched to gear oil. I had a gallon container sitting around. Lifetime supply. 

Clean and apply new oil weekly. Run a bead on top of both sides of o rings and then wipe clean.

Last chain I think I adjusted once or twice. Just installed new chain (3rd) and sprockets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petshark said:

Really, hardly any mess in my application. A lot less than that mess the dealer made with the wax.

What are you calling "wax"?

The white grease on a new chain is really, really messy and flings everywhere if you don't clean it off before riding. It looks waxy, but it's not wax.

Many products called "Chain Wax" (for example, Maxima Chain Wax) are terribly messy; just awful. The stuff flings everywhere, attracts dirt, and causes thick, chunky build-up under the sprocket cover. You get every possible disadvantage in one can... pretty remarkable.

And then there are products like DuPont Chain Saver, which does not attract dirt, does not fling, and does not cause buildup. It goes on thin, making it easy to sort of wash down the chain, then becomes a thin, dry wax that protects the metal and doesn't attract dirt. It's pretty much foolproof.

It is certainly a lot more expensive than gear oil, and a large spray can is less portable than a small squeeze bottle of gear oil. (They do sell DuPont Chain Saver in a squeeze bottle if that's your preference, or you're on a trip.)

As mentioned above, you have to develop just the right "touch" with gear oil, or it's going to fling everywhere and attract dirt. And it stinks. But it can work well, and it is very cheap.

Many, if not most, riders who use gear oil and/or automatic oilers overdo it, and their bikes and gear get absolutely disgusting.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Thanks, Shark. Nice write up. We agree on all points. I like the gear oil, but the stink tends to bother me. That’s why I use the ScottOil. It acts pretty much as gear oil does but without the stink. The Scott Oil comes in a hot weather version. One version is colored red, the other blue.

I want to try this Du Pont stuff and maybe I will. Some day. I would avoid anything in a propellant can because off the solvent that may deteriorate the o-rings.

later edit: I just ordered a couple bottles of the Du Pont “wax” with Teflon from Amazon. It is cheap. I got a non-aerosol bottle and a 14oz aerosol can for around $20. I will finish my current chain on the oil and switch over when I install my new DID VX3, down the road. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Dupont Chain Saver and their similar MultiUse Lube (stays wetter; $20 for a quart metal can) no longer contain Teflon as they found a ceramic additive works better and is safer.

I carry one or the other in a small bottle and also apply by brush and wipe off.  Warming chain is unnessary..

Hypoid gear oil not only stinks but even out of the bottle new is a suspected carcinogen and is labeled accordingly (read the fine print).

50 yeas of cleaning and lubing chains has taught me less is more.  I clean with Kerosene. 

In my Scot Oiler on my VTR I blend Marvel Mystery Oil and chainsaw blade lube to viscosity based on use temps. My Scot Oiler leaves a fine film on the wheel that attracts fine dirt particles but easily wipes off leaving a shine.

• Thumbsup 1

@bwringerI probably misused the word "wax". The stuff that was on my new bike and some other candidates looks waxy to me but I don't really know what it was. I'm totally open to even better products and am only speaking to my own experience where gear oil is a much better product than the other chain lubes I used before. Motul etc.

@KrustyKushI sure can see that a scottoiler is a great tool. I have no logical reason to dislike the system but just do. I prefer to do this job manually instead of automatically. I guess I'm just quirky that way. I'll be interested in hearing your experience with the teflon but I am biased against spraying teflon around in the environment. AFAIK that stuff is at least as bad as asbest in the long run. I could be totally wrong but that's how it's currently stored in my brain. I think I saw a documentary about teflon once and it was pretty scary.

@2and3cylindersI too clean with kerosine, works great but controversial. One time DID says you should use it and the other time they say don't use it.
You've had me worried for a second. I am sure that none of the fluids we use in/on bikes are healthy in the least, but as I do get some gear oil on my skin from time to time (even though I always put on mechanic's gloves for this quick task) I'd like to know if there is an extreme health hazard. I am happy to report that the German gear oil from Liqui Moly I use has absolutely no suspected carcinogen in it.

https://sichdatonline.chemical-check.de/Dokumente/566/10046_0022_01-11-2021_EN.pdf

(search for "carc")

When I hear the words Dupont of Teflon tough, all kinds of alarms go off in my head, but I won't preach about that. I haven't researched any of it in depth and it could be based on false data.

So for now I'm happy to stick wth my method. I just want to say that it's great to have an open in-depth discussion about this without everyone just bullying each other. I know I made the right choice staying in the fj/tracer fam.

• Premium Member

Those inscrutable Germans usually they say that about the Japanese

If it is sold legally in California then I'll believe it because they think everything is a carcinogener  And or. has lead in it

Now this may not be something that I experienced wink wink nudge nudge but  some would be concerned about the exposures they may of had in a lifetime

if you only knew

but insurance company can't.

• Premium Member

Wow, who would have thought that a thread on which lubricating oil is best would be controversial?

Seriously, I think everyone has a different idea on what they prefer, and based on the number of lubricating products for motorcycle chains out there, I may be right. Personally, I use Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, $6-7 for a 17.3 oz spray can. It does a good job, and is cheap, so I keep buying it.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that my choice is better than yours, I don't want to start any wars on this topic. This is just what I use, and why I use it.

Let the fun begin!

• Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, DavidS said:

Wow, who would have thought that a thread on which lubricating oil is best would be controversial?

Seriously, I think everyone has a different idea on what they prefer, and based on the number of lubricating products for motorcycle chains out there, I may be right. Personally, I use Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, $6-7 for a 17.3 oz spray can. It does a good job, and is cheap, so I keep buying it.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that my choice is better than yours, I don't want to start any wars on this topic. This is just what I use, and why I use it.

Let the fun begin!

I favor this chain lube ……. every time.

494589E9-E4DC-4364-984F-79A9D1D5EACE.png

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

Back in 1976 my Suzuki GS750 had one of the first "O" ring chains.  The recommended routine was to clean using kerosene and apply 90wt gear oil sparingly.  I have tried Motul, Bel-Ray, chain wax and others but still come back to kerosene and gear oil. However, I do carry a small can of Bel-Ray when traveling just for the convenience. I normally get about 35K to 40K per chain if not more. 

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

My favorite as well :)

• Supporting Member
44 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

19 minutes ago, DavidS said:

My favorite as well :)

You guys are both very wrong I'm afraid!  That silver can stuff is cheap rubbish.

This is the good gold gear......

It's so much more betterer..er...er.

image.png.2bc584523ebbd0d5754b357110edd463.png

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1