Adaptive cruise control coming

1moreroad

• Premium Member

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2022/july/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-radar-cruise-control

Don't know how I feel about this. I always say that I don't care about these tech advances - FI, ABS, TC, etc. - but I appreciate them when I get them. Hate that they can inflate the cost so much. 

Good looking red Tracer.  I'd like the ACC.  Droning on the highway it really irritates me to have to cancel my cruise.  I will subconsciously go to lengths to avoid it.  ACC might keep me more calm.  Or not.  What I'd like to have is a hill hold feature on the transmission, like the Harleys have had for the past few years.  Way useful.

• Thumbsup 1

^^^^^^^Same here…..my wife’s Mazda CX 5 has adaptive cruise control which is turned off as soon as the vehicle is started.   It is super annoying and at times dangerous if in use.  I would be hesitant to ever use it on a motorcycle.

• Thumbsup 2

I would love and look forward to having it on a future purchase. Droning along the highways for 6-7 hours and having to turn off cruise due to slower traffic, then turning it back on for a couple of miles only to turn it on and off again is fatiguing physically and mentally. I want to enjoy the ride, the scenery, the experience. 
Some are saying ACC will cause driver distraction. What, I’m going to play video games? Start texting? Calling all my friends?
Sorry, I’m old school, fully suited up, properly concentrating on my surroundings and hopefully one day enjoying a technology that lets me soak up the experience even better!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

I always say that I don't care about these tech advances - FI, ABS, TC, etc. - but I appreciate them when I get them.

Most modern tech isn't a selling point for me, cruise control and heated grips are all I need. 

I have never tried a car with ACC but imagine on a state highway it could be nice, however on an interstate through a metro area it could be miserable with it constantly braking and accelerating as cars constantly cut in and out from in front of you, at that point why bother with CC?

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

Most modern tech isn't a selling point for me, cruise control and heated grips are all I need. 

I like to go WOT on the FJ09 and let the TC make the front wheel just skim the tops of little road bumps in a tiny, baby wheelie. That's electronics. Don't do it often, but it makes me grin. 

My wife's Hyundai has ACC. This is a commuter sedan, nothing sporty. When speeds are changing gradually, the ACC is nice to have even in stop and go traffic. Smooth enough. When speeds are changing quickly, it works but kicks in later and brakes harder than a human. 

It could potentially be useful in moto commuting somewhere outside CA. Lane splitting would f*** with ACC too much. 

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

The "New and Improved" larger single TFT screen might make it worth it...

image.thumb.png.ab8fb6c86c12a95a4d3629fd982f2f9c.png

"The implementation of radar evidently means the standard Tracer’s double-TFT dash will be supplanted by a large single screen".

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-with-radar-cruise-control/

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Hopefully the new display/system has car play like Honda and all the Euro bikes pretty much now have?

According to my local dealership tat is the tft from the TMAX. So if the TMAX has car play so will the new Tracer.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

Not bothered about adaptive cruise, just want cc to work below 4th gear and down to 20 mph, I use it to stick to 30 and 40 mph speed limits and now we have a few 20mph speed limits in the UK and keeping to them is bloody difficult on the throttle alone, one twitch of the throttle and you are way over!

My car doesn`t have cc but speed limiter which works in any gear at any speed.