duffle bag/dry bag

maximo

Ever since reading @redfjniner's  Colorado ride report, I've been scheming a way to do it myself. I currently only have the saddlebags, and I think I'd like to take a duffle bag/dry bag to go over the back seat for additional capacity. I looked at all the usual places, and there seems to be no shortage of bags to fill the niche. I thought I'd check in here w all y'all to see if anyone has a favorite. My requirements are fairly basic: easy to strap down, waterproof, and spacious enough to hold my camping gear (even tho I'll probably stay in hotels, I'd like the option of camping in case the mood hits or the location begs for it).

Suggestions? Recommendations? 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

I use the 50L Earth Pak duffel on the bike for moto camping, has easy strap down loops and is water proof.

Can fit a hybrid of my basic + luxury gear:

3-person Alps mountaineering tent including footprint, poles, rain fly

Kelty sleeping bag.

Therm-a-rest neo air venture pad.

inflatable pillow.

Headlamp + two lanterns.

Still has a little bit of room left for something like a jetboil or mini cooking set.

It's cheap and works, not sure about durability as both of my tents have a vestibule where it can stay protected from harsh weather.

On the other end of the cost spectrum: for work trips I have a Baboon to the Moon Go-bag mini that I've found myself using on the bike when I don't need to lug a tent and sleeping bag, IE staying in hotels. I get the the marketing and looks of the bag aren't for everyone, just get it in black if that's the case. But believe me when I say it's possibly one of the best-made products I've ever bought in my life which helps swallow the price.

EDIT: Plus their ads are pretty good:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Figure out what size you will need first. 

The bags I like are the kind that have the roll closure that open on the top, not the end. 

Some of the bags that are marketed as "waterproof" but have a zipper opening will not be waterproof in a heavy rain. The roll-closure type will be. 

I have a few different bags, ranging from 20L to 40L. My first bag was 70L, and was just way too big. 

Here is the 70L:

LWnzs2hdsC7YSlr1Sp5-Dx5fLKFe2CujnNm_dHf8

Here is a 40L zip closure...not waterproof, but the size is good for me:

1T16-8rf7LpODgzOUm1mxQ0Br37XOMHmNfOKbQpl

This is a 20L bag:

YjPtOXXrr3i3GzcHkQIipdMcJQtHFCM7RS9vQo_x

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, maximo said:

Ever since reading @redfjniner's  Colorado ride report, I've been scheming a way to do it myself.

I don't have any advise on the duffel bag but as for the Colorado trip, DO IT!!!   Once you ride the Colorado Rockies, you will never be the same. 

Only word of advise is, don't plan your usual amount of miles each day, leave plenty of time tor photos or the potential "I wonder whats up this highway" type of diversion.  When I rode the "Million Dollar Highway" and a few other surrounding picturesque mountain passes, I was pulling off the road regularly to take photos.  Put in big miles getting there and returning home but plan shorter mileage days while there.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

Kayak bags are bombproof, but I have had good experience with any good quality, claimed waterproof, roll top backpacking bag. Even the cheap ones - throw your stuff in a garbage bag if you're not sure. Add 2 or 4 Rok straps and you're good!

@draco_1967 is right. Figure out what you need to bring. I bought a 40L Nelson Rigg to supplement panniers, and it's overkill. Way too big. Easily swallows ALL camping and kitchen gear. Should have bought 30L.

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Kayak bags are bombproof, but I have had good experience with any good quality, claimed waterproof, roll top backpacking bag. Even the cheap ones - throw your stuff in a garbage bag if you're not sure. Add 2 or 4 Rok straps and you're good!

@draco_1967 is right. Figure out what you need to bring. I bought a 40L Nelson Rigg to supplement panniers, and it's overkill. Way too big. Easily swallows ALL camping and kitchen gear. Should have bought 30L.

What does your kit look like? Fitting all gear + kitchen in 40L is impressive; are you just running a tarp + pad with a low-loft sleeping bag? Does your kitchen include stove + fuel or do you just carry a fire starter? I'm still fiddling with balancing comfort vs. space on the bike for camping.

If I drop down to my 1-person tent I can get that + pad, bag, headlamp, and a lantern in a 30L but that still doesn't include kitchen.

• Supporting Member

Picked up an 80L waterproof rollie a while back with no regrets:

https://fortnine.ca/en/givi-ut804-ultimate-t-range-waterproof-cargo-bag

image.thumb.png.d20600a20ff4c3de7fe2b35216f6840f.png

It's been through some severe rain with zero issues.  It came with a couple of bungees that can be used to strap it down, but I generally prefer the webbing.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I got one of these. 60L is more than enough.  You'll fill a bigger bag but you won't need all that stuff.

This one is very well made with lots of tie downs and it can be seen from a long was back in the rain.

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/luggage/tail-bags/sw-motech-drybag-600-tail-bag-60-l-signal-yellow-waterproof/

Whatever you get make sure it does not obscure the tail / brake light.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Thanks everyone!

I hadn't heard of Baboon to the Moon. I want to buy one just from the ad alone!  

For me, based on what I'm seeing and hearing, seems like 30L would be about right. I do a lot of backpacking so I have all the packable gear, and maybe even room to toss in a few dehydrated meals in there as well.  My base gear is Sea to summit pad, quilt, a 2P Slingfin Portal, and MSR pocket rocket embedded inside a titanium 1.3L pot. It all packs down fairly compact. I'll use my saddlebags for my clothes, rain gear, and flat tire thingy. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

Heading out tomorrow with a 30L Oxford Aqua T30. Too small for odd shaped items, but perfect for clothing and soft rollable type stuff.

20220708_203654.thumb.jpg.cab2a46b962cd2d6e2e4d49450ff844e.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

What does your kit look like? Fitting all gear + kitchen in 40L is impressive; are you just running a tarp + pad with a low-loft sleeping bag? Does your kitchen include stove + fuel or do you just carry a fire starter? I'm still fiddling with balancing comfort vs. space on the bike for camping.

Everything gets double use in bikepacking where I have about 40L total space on the bicycle for camping, multiple meals, clothes, first aid, and repair supplies. The tailbag is maybe 20L, handlebar bag maybe 10, and fork bags 5 each. 

I looked for packed size on everything before I buy.

Almost all of my stuff has been bought on sale from REI over years. Eureka small 2 man freestanding tent (upgraded from a bivy), Big Agnes lightweight inflatable pad (but recently upgraded to wider, plusher BA pad I haven't used yet), +30 synthetic sleeping bag, small inflatable pillow, a square of cheap foam pad to sit on, and my kitchen is a Jetboil, fast food plastic utensils, and a little dishwashing soap. On the moto, I only usually make breakfast and buy or snack for lunch and dinner. On the bicycle, I snack for lunch and eat dehydrated meals for dinner. 

20200527_115449~2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

As someone who is much newer to 'going the distance' without having a true home/basecamp... take a good look at everyone's kits here. Be smart, pack less. And then still pack even less. And one more round now!

Here's a picture of my overweight bike at the tail of the dragon. Now I did have a bit of camera gear and bunch of my equipment for work taking up the topcase but still, way too much.

noRizCD.jpg

This is the Unplug 155L duffel. I've since purchased the 110L and now seeing everyone's setup I am tempted to get the 65L. I have a bag problem, I know. Secured with some 8ft Kanulock straps for a bit of added security if I had to get off the bike and run into a store.

Would love to see the kit you land on and your travels soon!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Bernard said:

As someone who is much newer to 'going the distance' without having a true home/basecamp... take a good look at everyone's kits here. Be smart, pack less. And then still pack even less. And one more round now!

Here's a picture of my overweight bike at the tail of the dragon. Now I did have a bit of camera gear and bunch of my equipment for work taking up the topcase but still, way too much

Wow! Your highway pegs are almost dragging! Work gear is tough to pack. At my old job, my 14" laptop fit inside the OE side case. My new job's 15" laptop barely fits at a weird angle and nothing will fit with it.