duffle bag/dry bag

maximo

4 hours ago, 1moreroad said:

Wow! Your highway pegs are almost dragging! Work gear is tough to pack. At my old job, my 14" laptop fit inside the OE side case. My new job's 15" laptop barely fits at a weird angle and nothing will fit with it. 

Ha, I barely scraped feeler pegs on my second run at the dragon. I realized part of my disdain for the factory BattleAx tires was due to squaring them off a bit which caused much of my angst with handling. Mounted a spare set of PR5's I had recently and needed to remind myself just how 'squirrely' feeling a proper tire profile can be. Very confidence inspiring having a decent set of shoes!

And I'd be lucky to get a laptop into a sidecase but can imagine trying to cram one in and being worried about what else goes in with it. Since I'm a 'one-man IT shop' and handle a bunch of folks who have dual 4K screens, I tend to bring a 4K 17" laptop around to ensure easy access. I'm amidst creating a proper setup with a pull-up mount in the topcase (similar to what police may use). The goal is to be able to travel a ton more and still have readily available access to my gear. Definitely posting some pictures once the setup is complete.

• Thumbsup 1

I have a 58L duffle from Amazon I bought over 3 years ago.  It has over 40,000 miles on it and has held up well.  I may buy a new on for the next trip but it still does well.  I use the straps it came with and have not had a single problem with it coming loose.  I do add a nylon strap as a backup but it has not been necessary but a secondary fastening system is good.  It is a roll top design and has bee overloaded to the point it was hard to get more than one fold of the top but has always bee waterproof.  Fold is always to the back so that water is not blown into it.  Bag has seen all day rains, cold rains and torrential thunderstorms without ever leaking.  I was not an expensive bag - not the cheapest either.  Good quality vinyl and has held up nicely.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

What it looks like on the road

FJ_Mississippi.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, whisperquiet said:

I use this 35 liter dry bag from Kuryaken……works great.

https://www.motosport.com/kuryakyn-torke-35l-dry-duffle-bag?variant[KYKA0H8]=KYKA0H8-X001-Y001

This is the bag I went with. I happened to be in the Nevada desert when the monsoon rains hit and can vouch for its function. 

The straps took a bit to figure out, but once it went on, it's been totally secure. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 1 year later...
On 7/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, maximo said:

Ever since reading @redfjniner's  Colorado ride report, I've been scheming a way to do it myself. I currently only have the saddlebags, and I think I'd like to take a duffle bag/dry bag to go over the back seat for additional capacity. I looked at all the usual places, and there seems to be no shortage of bags to fill the niche. I thought I'd check in here w all y'all to see if anyone has a favorite. My requirements are fairly basic: easy to strap down, waterproof, and spacious enough to hold my camping gear (even tho I'll probably stay in hotels, I'd like the option of camping in case the mood hits or the location begs for it).

Suggestions? Recommendations? 

I've used the Mosko Moto 40L and 30L bags duffles. The 40L is outstanding. The 30L is just great. The 40L has features I've used time and again, including my favorite - a tent pole sleeve located under the top flat.  You don't need Mosko Moto's special straps.  Just a couple RokStraps.  The bags are built bulletproof and water tight.  Even after a few thousand miles, they look like new. The 40L has rollup openings on each short end.  The 30L has a rollup opening along the top. Both are outstanding quality. They're pricey, no doubt, but can be found for sale pretty often on the ADVrider forum.  That's where I got my 30L for about 1/2 price of new.