Access and remove FJ-09 ECU

mjsracing

• Supporting Member
On scratching the frame. Has anyone put 3 or 4 layers of duct tape on the frame then doing the work and then take it off? The reason I ask is I'm fixing to pull the ECU, pull the new style clutch cable thru and rewire the 12 V Power Outlets. Haven't gotten to that point yet. Still, 1 more ride around the lake to be well into the reserve so the tank is close to empty. 

If you are going to spend that much time under the tank, just remove it completely, you just have to pinch the 2 tabs in to remove the fuel line and then there are 2 vent hoses.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On scratching the frame. Has anyone put 3 or 4 layers of duct tape on the frame then doing the work and then take it off? The reason I ask is I'm fixing to pull the ECU, pull the new style clutch cable thru and rewire the 12 V Power Outlets. Haven't gotten to that point yet. Still, 1 more ride around the lake to be well into the reserve so the tank is close to empty. 

If you are going to spend that much time under the tank, just remove it completely, you just have to pinch the 2 tabs in to remove the fuel line and then there are 2 vent hoses.

yes, removing the tank and putting it back on is what I was talking about. I'll see when I get there. Some have said put a towel or rag there to pad it. Just have plenty of duct tape, it's easy, halfway thin, can use a few layers and it stays in place. Thanks for the tip on the fuel line itself. I knew the vent lines were easy. Nice to know you don't need a special tool for the fuel line itself. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Thanks for all the tips betoney. I got the ECU flash on the fathers day special and am fixing to send it off. I still need to call them and tell them what I want. Just concentrate on the smooth application of throttle on and off with engine breaking. In other words, make it smooth on and off the throttle at 7 to 10 thousand RPMs thru the tight twisties in mostly 2nd and short bursts into 3rd gear.  Power to engine brake to power to engine breaking. Not having to use the brake, just the engine braking thru the corners. The rest just a nice even powerband up to 5 or 6 grand for regular riding allot in eco mode in the piney woods of NW Louisiana. Keep the torque. With a stock exhaust. I'm sure I'll refine it better before I call them. I'm sure they have just what I need ready to go. 

And I do have the Yamaha Service Manual coming in at a reasonable price from here. I looked and they are now out. It was 45.00 plus 8 shipping, $53.00 total. Just tracked it and says it will be here by Tuesday, July 3rd. I'm good at directions and I have common sense. Hey, it works!

• Supporting Member
Thanks for all the tips betoney. I got the ECU flash on the fathers day special and am fixing to send it off. I still need to call them and tell them what I want. Just concentrate on the smooth application of throttle on and off with engine breaking. In other words, make it smooth on and off the throttle at 7 to 10 thousand RPMs thru the tight twisties in mostly 2nd and short bursts into 3rd gear.  Power to engine brake to power to engine breaking. Not having to use the brake, just the engine braking thru the corners. The rest just a nice even powerband up to 5 or 6 grand for regular riding allot in eco mode in the piney woods of NW Louisiana. Keep the torque. With a stock exhaust. I'm sure I'll refine it better before I call them. I'm sure they have just what I need ready to go. 

Yes, you can call them but to be honest, he has the fuel map for the stock exhaust and ignition table ready to go already.  One option available is default starting in STD or A mode.

What year is your bike?  if it is a '15 or '16 you can further adjust throttle smoothness with APS adjustment and it is VERY noticeable.

What year is your bike? if it is a '15 or '16 you can further adjust throttle smoothness with APS adjustment and it is VERY noticeable.

2015, Do Tell....

• Supporting Member
What year is your bike? if it is a '15 or '16 you can further adjust throttle smoothness with APS adjustment and it is VERY noticeable. 
2015, Do Tell....

https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment

Happy reading!

Archived