Shipping question

Hi Folks,

I have a question about shipping. I listed a seat for a bike I no longer have. I thought shipping might be $10-20, but I admittedly haven't shipped anything in a while. When I was asked to check a shipping price, my online estimates were ~$60. I thought that couldn't be right, so I took it down to UPS and they quoted $68! But they did say that the price changes every day with Wednesday being the least expensive day to ship. She said it might be as little as $30 on Wednesday. 

So it looks like I will lose money on the seat, and that's OK (I paid too much overseas). But I was wondering if I'm missing something on the shipping or is this what you all deal with when you ship something? For instance, I see a Corbin seat for sale that will be very heavy, I can only imagine how much shipping might be for that.

Am I just that out of touch or is there a trick that I'm missing?

Cheers!

Craig

$60 sounds about right to me.  Some depends on class of mail you use, i.e. whether overnight or surface-doesn't-matter-how-long-it-takes.  Last month I mailed via USPS my daughter in Singapore a small box full of some doggie diapers she can't source there.  So, light weight.  I told the clerk, slow is OK, make it cheaper.  It still cost me $68.  The diapers themselves were quite a bit less than that shipping cost.

FYI this is why I don't bother trying to sell things online.  I always seem to lose money on the shipping.  And it is worse now than it probably has been in several years what with fuel costs soaring.  It might be cheaper and a LOT more fun, to just ride it over to the recipient.

Thanks, Krusty! 

I figured I might have just been jaded by all the "free shipping" from everywhere. But I was hoping there might be some insider secret.

The free motorcycle delivery is certainly a good idea though. 

"Honey, I'm going to Seattle!"

Thanks,

Craig

• Premium Member

I just bought a seat thru this forum. I think shipping was $74 for the seller. 

I made about $3 off an Ebay sale maybe 2 months ago because shipping was so much more than EBay estimated. Buyer got a good but not great deal. USPS was the winner in that sale. 

Oh well, lesson learned.

Luckily I think the seat on the new bike is OK, so I shouldn't have to go through this again for a while.

By the way, I don't have a Tracer anymore, but I'm going to stick around on this forum. It's much more polite than some of the others, and I already learned a better way to lube the chain on my wee-strom!

Cheers!

Craig

• Supporting Member

I just sold a Corbin seat, back rest and cover through ebay for $500. That became $433 after ebay fees.

Shipping was $54 through UPS.

Post office quoted $76.

Fedex wanted $93.

Pick the smallest box and make it as light as possible as price is based on weight and size. My box was 32" long and 18" wide, but UPS measured it as 34x19" as it was bulging and that bumped the price by $8.

I didn't know about Wednesday being cheaper, something to keep in mind.