Crash report :(

I was on the 6th day of a 7 day solo touring trip from the PA to NC.  Travelling back north on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.  There was a line of 4 cars bunched up from a slow car in the lead.  There was a legal passing zone coming up, but also roads to turn off to the right and left. I made the stupid decision (driven by fatigue, annoyance, and a desire to get to the last night of hotel stay ASAP) to pass the whole line of traffic and I initiated the pass a few dozen feet before the passing zone actually began. One of the cars in the line of traffic ahead pulled out to make a left turn.  I tried to avoid, but they clipped the right rear of my bike.  That pushed the rear tire out to the left, causing the bike to go down on the right; I hit the road hard on my right side.

6 broken ribs, broken clavicle, fractured scapula, partially collapsed lung.  Could have been a lot worse if I wasn't wearing gear, but boy are broken ribs painful.  5 days in hospital including surgery to put a metal plate on my clavicle.

Bike took less damage that I did. Brand new 2022 Tracer 9 GT had 1000 miles on it when I started, had just shy of 2900 when I crashed.  I only saw pictures of it (it's still in VA pending insurance appraisal, family brought me straight back home to PA after being discharged from the hospital) and it's definitely repairable, but insurance appraiser said it's likely to be totaled anyway.  He said with parts availability and shop rates being what they are now, it usually ends up costing less for them to sell the bike at auction and pay out the market value to the owner, rather than repair it.  OK by me, I'm definitely done riding this year and don't want to have to deal with the bike along with everything else.

I don't know if I'm done riding entirely, but I might be done with touring.  It kills me that it was mostly my fault.  Stupid, stupid choice on my part driven by of multiple long days of riding and getting annoyed at slow traffic and I don't know if I can trust myself not to do it again once I get my confidence back.  In a year or two if I decided to keep riding, I think I'm going to get something small and just enjoy day rides around my area.  I'm far more chill when I'm out on a weekend ride.

Anyway, peace out for now brothers.

PS One useful thing to report - I did the seat slope mod before going on this trip and it made the stock seat completely tolerable for me for multiple ~300 mile days.

Edited by stevesweetz
  • Sad 10

• Supporting Member

Yep, definitely sucks being on the injured list.

Give yourself some time and the room to think on it before making any decisions...you might change your mind, and have a new approach.

Good luck with the healing!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Oh man! Sorry to hear that. Definitely pulled that maneuver before... so I understand why the decision was made.

I hope you heal quickly.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member

Ouch... glad this didn't end up worse for you. I've had these moments of weakness too. Riding a relatively fast bike not helping here 😛. Good argument to be had for a reduced daily distance schedule on longer tours. These are not supposed to be destination or endurance rides, but it's sometimes easier said than done. Recover well.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Thank you for the very frank crash report.  I'm gonna paste this and send it to my (49 year old) son who just a few months ago took up riding.  Bought a used Sportster.  Your experience may help him avoid what we all have come close to now and again.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, stevesweetz said:

I was on the 6th day of a 7 day solo touring trip from the PA to NC.  Travelling back north on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia.  There was a line of 4 cars bunched up from a slow car in the lead.  There was a legal passing zone coming up, but also roads to turn off to the right and left. I made the stupid decision (driven by fatigue, annoyance, and a desire to get to the last night of hotel stay ASAP) to pass the whole line of traffic and I initiated the pass a few dozen feet before the passing zone actually began. One of the cars in the line of traffic ahead pulled out to make a left turn.  I tried to avoid, but they clipped the right rear of my bike.  That pushed the rear tire out to the left, causing the bike to go down on the right; I hit the road hard on my right side.

6 broken ribs, broken clavicle, fractured scapula, partially collapsed lung.  Could have been a lot worse if I wasn't wearing gear, but boy are broken ribs painful.  5 days in hospital including surgery to put a metal plate on my clavicle.

Bike took less damage that I did. Brand new 2022 Tracer 9 GT had 1000 miles on it when I started, had just shy of 2900 when I crashed.  I only saw pictures of it (it's still in VA pending insurance appraisal, family brought me straight back home to PA after being discharged from the hospital) and it's definitely repairable, but insurance appraiser said it's likely to be totaled anyway.  He said with parts availability and shop rates being what they are now, it usually ends up costing less for them to sell the bike at auction and pay out the market value to the owner, rather than repair it.  OK by me, I'm definitely done riding this year and don't want to have to deal with the bike along with everything else.

I don't know if I'm done riding entirely, but I might be done with touring.  It kills me that it was mostly my fault.  Stupid, stupid choice on my part driven by of multiple long days of riding and getting annoyed at slow traffic and I don't know if I can trust myself not to do it again once I get my confidence back.  In a year or two if I decided to keep riding, I think I'm going to get something small and just enjoy day rides around my area.  I'm far more chill when I'm out on a weekend ride.

Anyway, peace out for now brothers.

PS One useful thing to report - I did the seat slope mod before going on this trip and it made the stock seat completely tolerable for me for multiple ~300 mile days.

Rest up and get well soon brother. So long as we have tomorrow to look forward to, there will always be a way to enjoy what little we have left. It's easy to become complacent especially after so many miles and on longer trips. If/when you do get back on two wheels, PA still has plenty to offer and much enjoyment ahead. One day at a time.

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, stevesweetz said:

...and I don't know if I can trust myself not to do it again once I get my confidence back. 

Those are the lessons we truly learn - and I would trust you. You will trust you.

Crashing sucks, but we have to reframe our misfortunes and heal up.

• Thumbsup 2
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

So sorry to learn about your accident.  I hope you heal quickly and fully.  I cringe every time I read the stories of others who have gone down and were badly injured, or worse.

I broke six ribs on my left side in a crash last year, along with some injuries to my left leg that are yet to fully heal.  I had the same thoughts of giving up riding.  But I am back on the bike and glad I did not decide to sell it.  I am taking extra precautions and not doing nearly as much "spirited" riding as before.  Some of my friends who could not keep up with me in the twisties are now waiting for me briefly at the end of the road.  Still enjoying riding just as much as before but being more risk averse.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Live and learn again what you already knew. 

But you're relatively young and hopefully will heal well and quickly.

I'm in between surgeries from old injuries including a bicycle incident a dozen years ago, and after 7 months was going crazy not being able to ride.

Maybe you'll feel the same in a few months.

I've had to slow down in recent years due to my injuries which were not from motorcycling including racing.  Still chilling down on the street and checking your impatience at the door every time you head out for a ride or drive has become imperative in this millennium. 

I finally got out yesterday after the 7 excruciating months off and while not glorious it was enjoyable enough and essential for my sanity, and I took it very easy.

I worry more about other road users than my own mistakes. 

For example, yesterday despite a red bike and helmet, a headlight modulator, floro yellow jacket (and Hit-Air vest), super bright front turn / running lights and auxiliary LED side marker light strips, an impatient likely distracted cager perpendicular to me on a two lane rural road in a teenie town wih a 35 mph limit pulled out from his / her stop sign and almost T-boned me!  Now I was watching him/her and had purposely kept plenty of following distance soI was not masked by the car ahead, and as always, covered the front brake with 2 fingers and was also ready to goose it.  But when it happened it still shocked me that the cager was so careless.  I did have to accelerate and swerve to avoid being hit.  I just had to shake my head and then put it out of my mind, and then redouble my attentiveness.

Good luck and forget about what you're going to do down the road so to speak, and relax and concentrate on recovering. 

Oh man that is awful news. And the truth is that could have happened to most of us.  I was once run off the road by a box truck when attempting a multiple pass.  And he seemed to enjoy it!

The problem with the tracer is it accelerates like a rocket.  I find myself nudging 80 mph when doing multiple-car passes on my FJ.  Bad things can happen very quickly at that speed.

But the frustration of noodling along at 30 mph on a twisty road behind a line of tourists can drive you (me) nuts very quickly also.

I wish you rapid mending and I thank you for the reality check on what can easily happen during a long day of riding.

Im sure whatever you decide will be the right choice for you.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

FWIW this is 3 weeks layer and I already have like 95% range of motion on my right arm.  Orthopedic surgeon said that I'm already moving so well on my own I probably won't need physical therapy.

What sucks is the ribs.  They can't really do anything for these and it's just going to be like 2 months of pain until they heal.  I can only get about 4 hours of sleep at a time before I wake up in pain.

I've already been thinking about what bike to get next year :)  Definitely going to stick with not touring for a while though.  I'm leaning towards a Moto Guzzi V7. Always thought they were cool.  ~65hp should keep my right hand in check more and I think they're reasonably reliable now.  Be nice not to have to do chain maintenance.