Track bike front sprocket

Yamajank

I purchased an 08 gixxer 750 a few months back that is a track only bike.  I’ve ordered new sprockets and chain.  I’m working on getting the front sprocket off and IT IS STUCK.  Unless that thing is not lefty loosey I’m at a loss.  I put a broom handle through the wheel and swingarm and it broke the handle.  I’ve sprayed with WD multiple times.  I’m afraid the previous owner put the permanent loctite on it.  Any other tricks?

Heat and beat.

You may need to heat the nut with a torch to soften the thread locker (or at least help expand the nut a bit), and most of us use an impact gun to zap it free. Don't get it too hot or you'll damage the seal and maybe even the shaft.

If you don't have an air or battery powered 1/2" drive impact, you can get an plug-in electric one fairly cheap, and it's very useful for other things. As you've found, trying to muscle it free with leverage too often breaks stuff.

Yes, it's a normal lefty loosey nut.

I don't think Suzuki usually stakes the sprocket nut like Yamaha, or requires replacement every time.

• Thumbsup 2

21 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I always have my wife stand on the rear brake pedal and leave the bike in gear. Add a cheater bar to the wrench. 

I suspect that could be potentially harmful to the transmission. I'll leave it in neutral for now. 

• Thumbsup 1

I usually use my cheap electric 1/2” Harbor Freight impact wrench.  You can also lock up the countershaft from spinning with a socket long enough between one of the sprocket teeth into the swing arm or frame.  Motion Pro makes a tool to do the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Sprocket-Jammer-08-0642/dp/B06XHPFX56/ref=asc_df_B06XHPFX56/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312065537890&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1412022549193847554&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022401&hvtargid=pla-568240508339&psc=1

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

sprocket nut is off.  There was no washer which is indicated in the manual.  Not sure what to make of that.

Thanks!

Less weight with no washer…..every little bit helps.

Good job on the sprocket removal.

• Haha 2