2021 Tracer 9 GT Clutch Lever

My main gripe with the bike is how far out the clutch has to be released before you start to get any friction, let alone full clutch engagement. After riding my SV650 I find that I am overrevving the Tracer, anticipating an earlier engagement. It takes a few stop and starts to get reacquainted with it. 

Finding a decent set of replacement levers hasn't exactly been easy. After searching for in-stock levers and/or levers that were actually a fitment for the 2021 Tracer, I decided to purchase the Puig Levers 3.0. 

The downside, they aren't making the correct clutch fixation block 21113N until October (according to the customer service representative that I spoke with). 

However, if you can live without the handguards for a little while, the clutch fixation block 8873N does work (the handguard brackets interfere and don't allow the clutch to return completely if you try to mount them back up with this block). 

So I will run the bike without them until the correct part is released and then replace it and put the handguards back on. Meanwhile, I have the clutch lever installed and the selector two clicks away from the closest setting. While this doesn't actually change the fact that the engagement is still at the end of the travel, it does make it feel better since the lever travel is shorter overall. 

Edited by var0522

• Supporting Member
21 minutes ago, var0522 said:

My main gripe with the bike is how far out the clutch has to be released before you start to get any friction, let alone full clutch engagement.  It takes a few stop and starts to get reacquainted with it.

I recently went on a road trip with my brother and we swapped bikes several times, the clutch friction zone was quite different between the two bikes.  I agree with you that it takes a few start and stops with a couple of unintentional high revs before the clutch grabs but after a few blocks you adapt.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I let a little more slack into the clutch cable. Seems to bring the friction zone a little closer to the grip.

I had more than a little adjustment period for this new clutch, coming off years on Harley tourers. I still botch a take-off now and again. I think it is caused by a little snatchiness in the clutch release mechanism, combined with the all but instant throttle response of this fine little motor. The Harley, you gotta wind it up a bit. That gives you some room. This Tracer, if the friction isn’t there the motor will zoom!

18 hours ago, var0522 said:

My main gripe with the bike is how far out the clutch has to be released before you start to get any friction, let alone full clutch engagement. After riding my SV650 I find that I am overrevving the Tracer, anticipating an earlier engagement. It takes a few stop and starts to get reacquainted with it. 

Finding a decent set of replacement levers hasn't exactly been easy. After searching for in-stock levers and/or levers that were actually a fitment for the 2021 Tracer, I decided to purchase the Puig Levers 3.0. 

The downside, they aren't making the correct clutch fixation block 21113N until October (according to the customer service representative that I spoke with). 

However, if you can live without the handguards for a little while, the clutch fixation block 8873N does work (the handguard brackets interfere and don't allow the clutch to return completely if you try to mount them back up with this block). 

So I will run the bike without them until the correct part is released and then replace it and put the handguards back on. Meanwhile, I have the clutch lever installed and the selector two clicks away from the closest setting. While this doesn't actually change the fact that the engagement is still at the end of the travel, it does make it feel better since the lever travel is shorter overall. 

Is your bike brand new?
 The clutch on my bike whent through a BIG change after first the service. 
Something about "friction modifiers" in the factory oil.
My clutch changede completely after the break in period, before break in it was VERY slippy and hard to get a smooth launch. 

Edited by Sunde

I've got over 4k miles on it... I've adjusted it as well as it could be with the stock levers. If I didn't have options, I could live with it. It would just take a couple stop and starts to adjust back to where it engages. 

When I say its my main gripe, its because there isn't really anything else I can complain about the bike. Its been fantastic so far. 

17 hours ago, var0522 said:

I've got over 4k miles on it... I've adjusted it as well as it could be with the stock levers. If I didn't have options, I could live with it. It would just take a couple stop and starts to adjust back to where it engages. 

When I say its my main gripe, its because there isn't really anything else I can complain about the bike. Its been fantastic so far. 

It was really also my only issue, apart from the new "small jerk" that occurs when i decel below 3k rpm (came after the factory reflash). I dont really notice that anymore however. It really is a very very complete machine. 

Edited by Sunde

When I upgraded my 900GT to the 9GT one of the first things on my to-do list was change the levers because I liked my aftermarket levers so much on the 900 and I wanted the adjustability.

Turns out they don't have them in stock but after adjusting the slack in the clutch lever I find that they are... well, just perfect.

I now have a hard time putting in an order for evotech levers or the likes because there really is nothing that I want different. It would just be cosmetic. Actually I find the stock levers more comfortable with those rounded edges. 

So I think I'm going to skip the after market levers on this one... YMMV

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I had Evotech levers on my 900GT,and when I got my 9,I thought I would have to change again,but no,the OEM levers are just fine.👍

• Thumbsup 1

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

Same issue on my 2021 (just under 4k miles) and another that I rented previously. Anyone else feel a whole-bike vibration every once in a while between hitting the friction zone on the clutch and releasing the clutch fully after taking off in 1st gear? It's almost like a feeling of something rubbing in the bike.

I've felt this on my Tracer 9 GT as well as the one I rented and even on a XSR 900 I recently rented. The other day I did a U-turn take off and the vibration lasted a good second or two. Very odd.

• Thumbsup 1

The only odd clutch thing I've had on my 21 GT is, or was, in the early miles, if I got into a higher rpm/slip the clutch situation, the clutch would pulse as if I were pumping my left hand on the lever.  That would continue until the clutch was fully engaged, on first gear take-off.  That hasn't happened in a long time now.  Bike presently going on 12k miles. As I think about it, most likely my left hand WAS pumping.  It doesn't take much hand movement to make the clutch act, and the motor is so eager to rev, etc.  My hands are somewhat weak from years of RA, and of course I'm a geezer.

The clutch has been the thing that has flummoxed me the most on this bike.  Between the close coupling to the shift lever by left foot, and the very sensitive clutch/hand/motor interactions, I have struggled to make every take-off perfect.  

8 hours ago, motoontheweekend said:

Same issue on my 2021 (just under 4k miles) and another that I rented previously. Anyone else feel a whole-bike vibration every once in a while between hitting the friction zone on the clutch and releasing the clutch fully after taking off in 1st gear? It's almost like a feeling of something rubbing in the bike.

I've felt this on my Tracer 9 GT as well as the one I rented and even on a XSR 900 I recently rented. The other day I did a U-turn take off and the vibration lasted a good second or two. Very odd.

Have 100% experienced that yes
My mechanic told me i was lugging the engine, twas not...
My mechanic also managed to overtighten my chain, and overfil the oil at the last service, maybe time for a new mechanic haha. 

• Sad 1

The clutch has been the thing that has flummoxed me the most on this bike.

100%. I came from a Kawasaki Z650 which is a cheaper bike but I never felt a lack of confidence from messing about with the clutch.

My mechanic also managed to overtighten my chain, and overfil the oil at the last service, maybe time for a new mechanic haha. 

So many bad mechanics out there..

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:45 AM, petshark said:

The clutch on my 21 9GT is perfect. I hope it stays that way.

Mine only felt a little off during the run in period.
Now its completely normal thankfully, i dont find it "different" to my mates bikes either, so its not a thing i got "used to" it just went away. I like the logic i heard of someone saying that there are additives in the factory oil making it ever so slightly more slippy. :P

Edited by Sunde