Leave Center Stand On? How about No

ed

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest branthopolis
Coming from years on sportbikes and having to use trackstands and not having access to them when on trips, having a centerstand was a very positive selling point for the FJ.. The times I'll use the centerstand will FAR FAR FAR outweigh the times I'll wish it wasn't there.

I think having a center stand is great, My last bike (ER-6 F) didnt have one and it was a pain in the butt.

I spend alot of weekends going round various shows with the Royal British Legion Riders Branch, and we let kids (and adults) sit on the bikes to take a photo for small donations (all under supervison). So not having a center stand makes it very hard/near impossible for this to happen. Also it tends to be in a field so you have to mess around with pucks and lumps of wood to stop it sinking.

Also the fact it makes maintance/cleaning easoer on your own.

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
I took mine off. I installed the M4 slip-on exhaust, and it required modifying the stand where it meets the rubber on the frame. Once I had it off, I liked the way it looked without it so much that I just left it off. When I want to clean the wheels or service the chain, I just bolt it back on. It literally takes one minute since I don't need to mess with the spring. Most of my trips are less than 1,500 miles, so changing tires or servicing the chain on the trip weren't issues. Besides looking better without it, I ride pretty sporty 2-up, and with all of our gear and luggage, we're around 400 lbs. We were dragging the thing a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
To use a Pitbull front stand, do I need to take off the ABS brake module?
I have a Pitbull front stand that lifts from the bottom of the fork legs and I always take the ABS sensor cover and sensor off.  Removing the two bolts only adds about a minute or so to the process. Heeding the dire warnings about preventing grease and stuff from getting on the sensor, I slip a small plastic bag over it and temporarily tape it out of the way. 
-- Joe

• Premium Member
Centre stands mean the bike takes up less width when parked. This is useful at home as my garage is small, so with 2 bikes, using the centre stand on both, I can easily walk between them to access a light switch & power socket. If they were on side stands they would take up most of width of the garage.

At work, the bike parking bay is not too big. If we all use our centre stands we can park at least one extra bike/scooter in the bay.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You can remove the center stand and use a pit stand for maintenance, but your pit stand won't help you at all when you're a thousand miles from your garage. I'm glad that I've had a center stand on different bikes when I was far from home and needed to change a tire or service a chain.

• Premium Member
It's only 3.5lbs, so not much of a weight savings. So taking a dump would probably save you more weight. ;-)

+1 and I agree with ctrlaltdl - there is now real reason to remove it, ad plenty of good reasons to leave it as is!

This is the funniest thread I have ever read on this forum. There have been countless "how old are you?" threads and I have done the math on the replies. We are an average age of 86.3 years old. How much does a centerstand weigh? HAH! The position of Marc Marquez has been filled. By Marc Marquez. If you are one of the members here who is worried about tire mileage and not lap times, why are you worried about the weight of a centerstand? And if you say, "I am worried about lap times" why in the world did you buy this bike? WHY??? Good grief. Lose weight as has been mentioned. Buy a faster bike. Go to a race school. Get younger. Or replace the rear tire without breaking a sweat cuz the bike is resting comfortably on the centerstand that came with the purchase price of the bike. Mic drop. I have lamb chops to finish grilling.

Archived